User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storing with Weight Off the Tires

There have been a few cross references in recent discussions about how to lift all four tires off the ground during extended storage. The LCI manual recommends this, but of course recommends jacking by the frame. This would mean a high lift and the risk of flipping the spring shackles. I have received a couple of private messages on how I go about doing this with combination bottle jack / jack stands under the outer ends of the axles . . . so, I thought I would explain this in detail here. These stands are readily available, but to do this properly, I think adapters welded to the tops of the stands to fit uniformly to the round axle tube, are important. An alternative would be to use a wooden block across the U bolts as some do for service work, but I do not think that this will achieve the fore/aft and crosswise stability of the method that I use. This lifts the trailer about 2" from the height it would be if sitting on its tires.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Term Storage.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had that same idea last fall and was going to do it until I read about not jacking on the axles. I bought 2 ton jack/jackstands - same brand but slightly smaller. I haven't welded the 3" adapters on them yet but that would be no problem. But, we're still sitting on the axle, right? Although I can't for the life of me see how, with the adapter, it could possibly hurt the axle. I am on a level, gravel pad so I will probably be able to set it up so it's a minimal distance off the ground.
    I'm gonna do it next fall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Don and Donna
    "Spook" (1/2 Bichon, 1/2 American Eskimo)
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    2012 RAM 2500 HD Laramie 6.7 Cummins 68RFE 6 spd 4X4 S/B Crew Cab
    PullRite SuperGlide 16K
    Mopeka Bluetooth LPG Remote Tank Monitors
    TireMinder TPMS
    Performance Trailer Braking Titan Disc Brake Upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. We are still a few months out from getting our truck and Solitude. The wife and I were discussing where to store this for the winter. Thinking an indoor location ($$$) rather than outdoors, in our back yard. Our winters usually last from Oct - April and I'm wondering if that would be considered long term. I'm guessing the weight off wheels would be needed to prevent tire damage? Which then prompts me to ask, why not have cheap tires to use for storage?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don,

After many of us watched the LCI technicians lift many axles for service work at the 2015 and 2016 Elkhart Rallies, with a floor jack and a wooden block under the U bolts . . . it became a little difficult to believe in their "by the frame only" service advice. The upward per-square-inch load on the axle tube through two U bolts lifted from underneath would be far greater than the uniformly distributed load through the adapter shown.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the biggest fear of using a jack is someone placing a jack in center of axels. That could, and probably would create camber problems
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have "permission" to see the PDF, but I would say supporting the trailer under the u-bolts is the most logical place. It's in realty where the weight of the trailer sits on the axle to begin with. Personally I'd use wooden dunnage with a large footprint, but that's just me.

John

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the jack stands and they were delivered today. I measured from the floor to the inside bottom of the saddle and it is 11". From the garage floor to the bottom of the axle, between the U-bolts, is 11.75". If the half 3" ID pipe is welded to the top of saddle, I don't see how to get the jack positioned under the axle, especially with the U-bolts in the way. Now, the saddle itself, without the pipe might fit under the axle, but it is too wide to fit between the U-bolts.....without grinding it narrower. Taking that route, I don't know it the heat from grinding would change the strength of the (Chinese) steel saddle. I could try to place the jack (sans pipe) just inside of the U-bolts. Or, use another bottle jack to raise the axle in order to place the jack stands in the proper location. Getting a little convoluted now. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    There have been a few cross references in recent discussions about how to lift all four tires off the ground during extended storage. The LCI manual recommends this, but of course recommends jacking by the frame. This would mean a high lift and the risk of flipping the spring shackles. I have received a couple of private messages on how I go about doing this with combination bottle jack / jack stands under the outer ends of the axles . . . so, I thought I would explain this in detail here. These stands are readily available, but to do this properly, I think adapters welded to the tops of the stands to fit uniformly to the round axle tube, are important. An alternative would be to use a wooden block across the U bolts as some do for service work, but I do not think that this will achieve the fore/aft and crosswise stability of the method that I use. This lifts the trailer about 2" from the height it would be if sitting on its tires.

Rob
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    I bought the jack stands and they were delivered today. I measured from the floor to the inside bottom of the saddle and it is 11". From the garage floor to the bottom of the axle, between the U-bolts, is 11.75". If the half 3" ID pipe is welded to the top of saddle, I don't see how to get the jack positioned under the axle, especially with the U-bolts in the way. Now, the saddle itself, without the pipe might fit under the axle, but it is too wide to fit between the U-bolts.....without grinding it narrower. Taking that route, I don't know it the heat from grinding would change the strength of the (Chinese) steel saddle. I could try to place the jack (sans pipe) just inside of the U-bolts. Or, use another bottle jack to raise the axle in order to place the jack stands in the proper location. Getting a little convoluted now. Thoughts?
    Hi Keith - Not convoluted at all . With the saddle welded on top of the jack, it can usually be tipped into place to get it under the axle. My pipe sections are 180 degrees. They don't have to be that much of the circle. 1/2" less on each end would still work fine. I have been meaning to make this mod . . . but haven't gotten around to it . . . because, there is an even easier way. Just roll the trailer up on four short pieces of 2x8 lumber and there is lots of room to position the jacks .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.....I had actually thought about the 2x8s. I'd have to put the hitch back in the truck to do that (using my engine hoist). I'll figure out something.
    2016 303RLS
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update....I finally decided to jack the 303 off the ground. I was procrastinating while trying to find 3" ID tubing, and someone to do the cutting and welding. I was almost going to forgo the pipe and place the jacks inside of the inside u bolt. Then, epiphany.... I have hundreds of one pound pure lead ingots and when one is placed on the jack saddle, it deforms nicely, cupping the axle. I store the RV inside a garage, so is not subject to wind movement. I was surprised about how much more force is needed to jack the street side than the curb side.
    2016 303RLS
    Pullrite Superglide 16K

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast