Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microwave Venting

Is the fan on the bottom of the convection microwave vented to the outside? My wife was using it on high while cooking and I couldn't hear or smell anything when I went outside.
    Jeremy & Katie
    2017 303RLS Reflection
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the outside flapper on the vent and see if it is open when the fan is on. I've heard that some are locked closed at the factory.
    Lee and Sandi
    2016 337 RLS
    2006 Ram 2500 5.9L
    Sparky and Missy traveling Maltese

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where the flapper is located. All I see in that area are 2 separate plastic grated panels.
    Jeremy & Katie
    2017 303RLS Reflection
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my 2017 Reflection, there is no outside microwave vent.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee8751 View Post
    Check the outside flapper on the vent and see if it is open when the fan is on. I've heard that some are locked closed at the factory.
    The locks are to keep the vent closed when travelling. If the flapper is left to flap the pivots can fail and prevent the flapper from opening when the vent fan is operated. The locks on mine failed and eventually the whole thing fell apart. Installing a new one today. $15 from GDRV.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have an outside vent, and you have a fan/vent in or near your kitchen , turn that on when you use the propane stove or oven and the microwave. For unknown reasons, some units have the outside vent and some don't.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timely topic for me as I familiarize myself with my new 303. Have been methodically going through each piece of equipments' manual compiling periodic maintenance requirements, and when I came to convection microwave, I went ... HUH?

Mine has no outside vent; it recirculates back into kitchen/galley area right on top of the microwave. The manual says that for units that do this, you should replace the charcoal filter assembly up there every 6-12 months (depending on use rate of course)... by removing screws that attach the louvered exhaust cover on top of unit. So, went to take a look... can't see any screws anywhere around the louver, and believe they are utterly inaccessible under the wood cabinet framing, so only way to do this is to pull out the microwave?!? Hard to believe... anyone else note this? Am I missing something?
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In earlier model Reflections, there was a range hood over the stove, and a standard microwave was mounted above the range hood. The range hood had an exhaust opening that was closed by a plastic flapper and two plastic tabs to keep it closed when not in use. These flappers could be very problematic and frequently broke or were damaged by UV light. In 2017 Reflection models, GD installed a much larger convection/microwave oven in lieu of the range hood and smaller microwave. The convection microwave has two methods of venting. One is to recirculate the cooking odors through the carbon filter, and the other is to vent the unit to the outside. However, the outside venting option is typically only used in conventional houses where an adequate exterior weather vent can be installed. it would be difficult to vent the unit to the exterior wall of an RV and still be able to seal it up against weather when needed.

Grand Design realized from posts a few years ago that exterior venting was a desirable feature. In order to get the benefits of a convection microwave and exterior venting, GD elected to put a much more powerful fan in the kitchen ceiling. In fact, when we are cooking items like bacon now, we have far fewer odors and smoke in the coach while using the ceiling fan than we did with the vent on the range hood of our 2014 model. You can still use the circulating fan on the oven, but I'd pair it with the ceiling fan to really minimize the impact of cooking.

One thing we did notice on our 2017 297 was that GD mounted the smoke detector on the ceiling just above the stove top. I moved it a couple of feet to the opposite side of the kitchen ceiling fan. This really reduces the number of smoke detector false alarms that are generated while cooking.

Jim

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new build 2017 Replections built after about October 2016 with 30" convection microwaves DO NOT HAVE OUTSIDE VENTING. The older ones with the smaller microwaves has a separate 30" hooded fan vented to the outside.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    In earlier model Reflections, there was a range hood over the stove, and a standard microwave was mounted above the range hood. The range hood had an exhaust opening that was closed by a plastic flapper and two plastic tabs to keep it closed when not in use. These flappers could be very problematic and frequently broke or were damaged by UV light. In 2017 Reflection models, GD installed a much larger convection/microwave oven in lieu of the range hood and smaller microwave. The convection microwave has two methods of venting. One is to recirculate the cooking odors through the carbon filter, and the other is to vent the unit to the outside. However, the outside venting option is typically only used in conventional houses where an adequate exterior weather vent can be installed. it would be difficult to vent the unit to the exterior wall of an RV and still be able to seal it up against weather when needed.

Grand Design realized from posts a few years ago that exterior venting was a desirable feature. In order to get the benefits of a convection microwave and exterior venting, GD elected to put a much more powerful fan in the kitchen ceiling. In fact, when we are cooking items like bacon now, we have far fewer odors and smoke in the coach while using the ceiling fan than we did with the vent on the range hood of our 2014 model. You can still use the circulating fan on the oven, but I'd pair it with the ceiling fan to really minimize the impact of cooking.

One thing we did notice on our 2017 297 was that GD mounted the smoke detector on the ceiling just above the stove top. I moved it a couple of feet to the opposite side of the kitchen ceiling fan. This really reduces the number of smoke detector false alarms that are generated while cooking.

Jim
    I agree, the ceiling fan works very well to take the cooking odors out. Much better than a thru the wall exhaust. However when it is raining you have a reduced ability to use the fan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast