Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie with questions on stabilizing and leveling

Hi there, awaiting delivery of my first (and new) 5th wheel, Reflection 367BH. Coming from a 28 foot travel trailer (32 with hitch) our set up was pretty easy. Pulled in, leveled side to side with the Anderson Levelers (the red crescent shaped ones you drive on and then chock), level front to rear with power tongue jack, put a BAL x-chock on curbside tires, lay down/stack up some wood pieces (we have 2x6 pieces cut for size) to put under 4 corner scissor stabilizer jacks (stack wood high enough to minimize how far the jacks had to extend), put out slide....and done.

Now, with the wood under the tongue jack and stabilizer jacks as well as the xchock, we had very little motion in the camper. Some, but that is to be expected. I have no experience with setting up a 5th wheel so my questions are:

1. Should I expect a lot of motion in the Reflection using just the 6 point auto levelers? I have been reading about kingpin tripods and the setup stabilizers that attach to the stabilizers....should I be saving up for these or are they not necessary as the 6 point system is stable enough?

2. With the auto leveling system, will I need to level side to side (we camp in campgrounds) and if so do the Anderson levelers work well for this size 5th wheel?

3. Should I still put wood under the landing gear/jacks?

Thanks to all in advance
    Jason
    Currently Springdale 282bhhs travel trailer with 2017 Reflection 367bh on order!!! :cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use same procedures if you want. Or, if you're fairly level, pus auto level and watch the machine do its thing!
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing my 5th wheel to the travel trailer we had previously, I would say there is less motion in the 5th wheel. We just use the X-Chocks and the auto level system and ours is only a 4 point system, not 6 like yours. I would think the 6 point system would be even more stable. The only time motion is really noticeable for me is when the washing machine is on the spin cycle and it's VERY noticeable then - laughable actually.

As for leveling side to side - we don't bother. We just press the Auto Level button when we unhook and it does the rest. It's the best feature ever!

I don't put anything under the jacks.

Hope that helps!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the kingpin tripod for the first couple of trips, but haven't used it for the past three years now. There is some movement when one is walking through the unit, but we don't even notice it any more. I just hit the level button and let it do its thing.
    i have read where using wooden blocks helps take the creaking out of the hydraulic leveling jacks, but we haven't done that either. I use the plastic ones just to keep the mud off the feet of the jacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put plastic pads under the levelers and x chock the wheels and push the button. It's one of the reasons I purchased a trailer with auto leveling. The only time I might put something under the wheels is if it was way off on side to side. I haven't ever had that though.
    Arnold Warnes
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leveling is like medicine. It's a practice. There are some people that are very good at it, but there are people like me that just get close. Eggs roll off the counter, shower tends to get deep on one end. The only real rule we have is getting our pillow head down. For some reason a few days of head down while sleeping causes issues. Stuffed up sinuses or gurd. You don't want gurd.

If life were perfect all rv sites would be perfectly level. They aren't. Most of the really fun sites aren't even close to level, but the location is so great you roll with it. (Pun intended)

Stabilization. I have met a few folks that hate it when the RV wiggles. Get over it. These things are not houses. They will never be as stable as a house. If you want stable stay in your house. The gizmos they sell to help with that do help some. But I get woken up when the wind blows strong or DW gets up to tend to our elderly Chihuahua. I calculate it is part of what we do and accept it.

Dallas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies....Dallas, I couldn't agree with you more, a wiggling RV is expected
    Jason
    Currently Springdale 282bhhs travel trailer with 2017 Reflection 367bh on order!!! :cool:

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,

I traded in a 32' bumper pull Travel Trailer for a 2017 36' Reflection 5th wheel.

Leveling is a piece of cake. No issue using Andersen leveling blocks. Just unhitch and hit the Auto Level button and watch the trailer do a magic dance and self level itself. Amazing.

Ours is a 4 jack system and there is very little noticeable rocking when the 4 jacks are down and grounded.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love your comments. Fit us to a "t".

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a Reflection 337RLS and use the Andersen Leveling blocks to get close. We've been to a few sites where we thought the paved sites had to be level and watched the level system raise the tires on one side off the ground. So, we now pull in and always check side to side level. If need be we use the Andersen system, chock the tires, put the truck in neutral and let the trailer settle into the chocks (and Andersen if used), the drop the front jacks and pull the truck away, and finally hit the auto level. Typing that out almost takes more time than actually doing the setup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast