User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good generator recommendations?

2017 2600RB Potential full-time buyer here...

Doing some planning/researching. Unfortunately the site that I plan on parking the TT has very limited full hook up spots. I'll be in over-flow (dry camping) spots until one of these open up, which is unlikely. Running water is not so much of an issue due to the amenities nearby but electricity seems to be a problem. I am frugal with my utilities so I don't plan on using much (phone charging, laptop usage, occasional tv/music).

I've seen some folks with generators outside their trailers. I don't know anything about these things. Can anyone maybe share their setup or their expertise? Thanks! I'm looking forward to TT living!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a pair of Honda 2000s. Very satisfied. You could look at the Bolies. They are quite similar to the Yamahas. I think they have a sharing cable as well, so you would have more power available than you would with 2000s.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends if you want to run the A/C or not. My Honda 2000i runs everything (but not all at once) except the air conditioning. Many people use dual Hondas tied together. Champion generators are gaining ground as a less expensive alternative.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What dBa rating does everyone recommend for camping? In otherwords - how loud is too loud?
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    2016 Ram 1500 Express, Ram Boxes, 4x4, 3.92 Gears

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any of the inverter generators will give you clean power and very reasonable noise levels. Honda, Yamaha, Champion all make good units. Our last generator was a Honda 3000 Watt unit, but it was just way too heavy for one person to move. When we replaced our generator this year, we went with two Champion 2000 watt units and a parallel kit. Here's a comparison price for two 2000 watt generators from Amazon:

Champion
    Generator (each) $441.97
    Parallel Kit $50.00
    Total for two generators and a parallel wiring kit - $933.94

Honda
    Generator (each) $999.00
    Parallel Kit $42.42
    Total for two generators and a parallel wiring kit - $2040.42

Running both units through the parallel kit will allow you to run any of the appliances in your RV. If your electrical demands are not very high, you can run just one generator and save on fuel. The Champion units are stackable, where the Honda units are not.

Noise levels while running both units at approximately 75% of load are within 1-2 dB of each other which is not detectable by the human ear. These are some of the quietest units you can purchase.

Here is an article that reviews the Champion generators:
    http://www.generatorgrader.com/champ...verter-review/

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the inverter models are about as quiet as you can expect. The only one I found that was really quiet, was the guy who had the Honda 6,000 watt inverter style in the bed of his truck. You really could not tell when he was running his air conditioner and he was parked right next to me.

Of course that is real overkill and two strong guys are going to have to work hard putting that in the bed of a truck.

In general it has a lot more to do where you stay. Many campgrounds have quiet hours, which usually mean nothing past 10 PM. Their wardens generally enforce by "ear" which means if they hear it they will tell you to turn it off. If they don't notice it, or you are far away from the other campers, it is usually no problem.

I know at some of the ranges we shoot on, the other rule was if you were running inverter gensets they would let you run them all night.

If you are in a truck stop, rest stop or Wally World, no one is going to say anything. You can get portable batteries to run small fans. When you turn on the genset it the morning those units will recharge in a couple of hours.
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where you are at for weather purposes, but you could think about solar as well since you don't seem to use much power. The only drawback is you couldn't run your AC.
    Devin & Roberta & Bizee (Border Collie)
    2015 Ram Laramie Cummins w/Aisin 4.10 CC LB 4x4
    Titan 55 Gal midship fuel tank
    2018 384GK Solitude
    B & W Companion Hitch
    4 - 165 watt solar panels, 2800 watt Magnum inverter
    Blue Sky 30/24il controller, 4 FullRiver 6V 250AH Batts

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Imagine line with all of its low power devices can run a very long time on battery. Like Devinh2 says you might get away with solar panels for many activities. The refer will be running gas as the refer is gas/electric.

You can get by with a single 2KW genset provided you do not run the air conditioner. If you aren't using the microwave, electric coffee maker, or hair dryer you can probably run everything on a 1KW genset. It is possible there might be enough power to run the outdoor kitchen refer as well.
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    2017 Imagine 2800BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I waited for a sale at Northern Tool and bought a display model Powerhorse 2000W for $400. It has a built in 30A plug and features an "eco mode" which will lower the RPM's of the unit to the minimum needed for the job making it VERY quiet. Even at full blast, tests show it to be a couple decibels quieter than the big brands. Inside the RV, there is just a faint drone in the background but not aggravating at all. When Hurricane Matthew hit my house, I powered all my appliances with the same unit and it rain for one week strait with nothing other than gas and daily oil changes so I will NEVER spend $1000+ for a Honda or Yamaha. Save your money and grab one of these. If you need more power, you can also buy another one and pair them using the supplied cables to run your A/C while brewing your coffee and blow drying your hair in front of the electric fireplace... lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 of the Honda 2000w and love them. I've been in the repair industry for a long time and while all others fall to the wayside, the
    Honda's keep on marching on. Also check the weights if that's a concern for you. The Honda's weigh just under 47 pounds while some others like the Powerhouse weigh 62 pounds. Bottom line: get what you can afford, like anything else

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast