User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side-To-Side Load Balancing a 303RLS- How?

So the factory weight information sheet that came with my 303 shows unloaded left (street) side weight at 4126 pounds, and right (curb) side weight at 3534 pounds... about 600 pounds heavier on street side right from start. Makes sense, due to 2 slides on that side, refrig, oven, microwave, etc.

The thing that baffles me though, is how does one try to load these units with their own gear, food, clothes etc. so as not to make this imbalance even worse? Most of actual storage space provided is also on left side, with pantry and wardrobe and most of drawer space over there. And there are no tie down hooks or the like in the basement storage area to allow one to keep heavy items in there over on right side while driving, in order to offset the imbalance. (Of course, I probably can add my own.)

I think conventional wisdom is to try to balance the load evenly... so how do other 303 owners manage this?

Norm
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't really offer any help as I am in the same boat, although with a different model than yours. Ours has three slides plus all appliances, water heater and furnace on the driver side and just one (although the largest one) slide on the passenger side. I will be watching this closely to see what responses you get. I know some have changed to heavier springs on the affected side to compensate.

I plan to move heavier loads to the passenger side of the basement storage as well as move what I can inside to the passenger side to help compensate.

Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loaded, we're about 1,000 lbs. heavier on the street side than the curb side. As with others, this is because the 337 has the frig, stove, pantry, water heater, furnace, etc., on the street side. The bed slide retracts to almost center for travel, but I'm sure the motors, flange, seals, etc., weigh more than the foot of the bed. The buffet and kitchen island with all their storage are also off-center to the left. The few things we have been able to do about this are: 1) the fire safe is behind the theater seats on the curb side, 2) we keep a plug-in cooler (not plugged in) under the dinette filled up with our bubbly waters, 3) in the basement, both tool boxes on are the curb side, along with the heavy folding chairs, compressor, and things that outweigh the water hoses and stuff in the plastic tubs on the street side, and 4) the inflatable kayak is on the curb side of the front "tool" compartment.

The biggest difference, however, was made by MOR/ryde when they selected the rubber "springs" for the independent suspension and put slightly heaver ones on the street side than the curb side. This corrected for the 1.5" out-of-level on the rig and both sides now react the same to bumps, potholes, etc. (I realize this is not an option for everyone). There are several on the forum (with 303s, I believe) who have replaced the springs on the curb side with the next step up in terms of weight ratings. Perhaps "Other Rob" (Cate&Rob) will see this and respond - I think he was involved in that discussion.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been many discussions on this forum about Reflection 5ths leaning to the left. Going back almost to the start of this forum.
    If you search on “left”, “lean” or similar words, you can find these previous threads.
    There is a sub-group set up by Pat Wardell and myself, that has been communicating by email and working on different ways to measure and correct this problem.

As noted many times, the lean is a function of the layout and storage locations, primarily in the 337 and 303.
    Following is the “abridged version” of months of measuring, discussing and trying different parts . . .
    BTW, LCI has been contacted directly (by me) and asked for their guidance on different ideas for the 303, but are not interested in discussing any changes.

The 337 with 3000 lb springs seems to have sufficient spring capacity on the left side. Several have corrected their lean with spacer blocks on the left side.
    The 303 with 2600 lb springs does not seem to have enough spring strength on the left side as these left side springs “pound down” with mileage. I have measured this and shown it to LCI at the recent Elkhart Rally.

Both Pat & I (and likely others) have replaced the 2600 lb springs on the left side with 3000 lb springs.
    I have also replaced my right side 2600 lb springs with new 2600 lb springs to verify that there was no loss in spring height in 11,000 miles. These are sufficient for the right side weight of the 303.

To summarize the ride difference . . . as original, my 303 would almost always “fall to the left” with every road impact. I could watch this in the mirrors.
    With 3000 lb springs on the left and 2600 lb springs on the right it will now fall to either side depending on road input.

Some have put very stiff 3500 lb springs on both sides which will remove most of the spring flex on both sides and get the trailer to sit level. I would be concerned that this forces most of the compliance into just the tire sidewalls because the springs will flex very little. The tires and the springs should share the absorbing of road impacts.

Changing from the 2600 lb springs to the 3000 lb springs reduced the side-to-side original 1 1/2” ride height difference to about 3/4” with the left side still low.
    This is with the 4 leaf 3000 lb springs that I used. Pat used 5 leaf 3000 lb springs and saw the same left side ride height improvement plus 1/4” for the additional leaf spring.
    This gets the ride height difference to about 1/2” . . . and most of this is in the additional compression of the left side tires which are still carrying about 400 additional pounds each.

I am going to follow Pat’s lead and change to the 5 leaf 3000 lb left side springs.
    To compensate for the tire compression side-to-side difference, I am considering a 1/2” spacer between springs and axle on the left side . . . but haven’t gone there yet.
    Maybe within 1/2” is close enough !

If anyone with a 303 would like to add their suspension measurements or improvement ideas to our discussion group, or see more detail on the measurements and ideas we have already tried, send me a PM with your email address.

(the other) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my 303 back today after having the LCI Equa-Flex equalizers removed (rubber bumpers were destroyed) and replaced with the Dexter EZ Flex kit and 3000 lb. 5 leaf springs placed on the left side. My spring expert said the 6 leaf were going to be too stiff. My rig is slightly high on the left now but its not loaded yet (and springs are new). The OEM springs on the left were totally flat. I had all the bushings replaced with bronze bushings and new wet bolts. The Never fail bushings showed no wear, the nylon ones were trash. The old shackle links had a couple of the holes elongated. My new shackles are 1/2" thick and should take a beating and last for a long time.

Additional: the bronze bushings in the LCI equalizers were worn at all three locations where the bolts had allot of slop. Probably from not having grease for a year!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our 303, I use a large Sterilite plastic tub (with the wheels) placed between the dinette and the recliner chairs. Heavy stuff goes in there for travelling (canned food, adult beverages, anything else that is dense). Any cases of water and the like ride on the floor under and to the back of the dinette. I try to keep the heavy basement stuff on the curb side. The pantry will have mainly lighter stuff on the road. I figure that I intentionally place 100-150 lbs more to the curb side. It takes about 30 minutes to move everything once camped. Tub then goes under the rig. Not a big difference, but helps. We also travel with a 12/120 volt chest refrigerator/freezer on he floor behind the island that relieved some load from the RV fridge.
    2016 303RLS
    2010 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab, 3.73 axle ratio (now pushing 20,000 miles)
    Pullrite Superglide 16K
    Six five gallon fuel cans, converted away from CARB compliance, which reside, as needed, under my BAKflip G2