Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Warranty Issues

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warranty Issues

Just wondering what type of warranty issues other Solitude owners are having. Not sure if we have a lot or if they are just standard. This is the first fifth wheel we've owned. Here are the problems we've had so far:

1. Cabinet door above fridge – hinge broke. Repaired.
    2. Stove – enamel is coming off grate above burners. Still waiting for replacement.
    3. Kitchen table was very wobbly. Table replaced.
    4. Two kitchen chairs were scratched and replaced.
    5. Gash under handle on second drawer to right of kitchen sink.
    6. Bathroom door will not stay shut in transit and has totally bent handle and messed up door frame.
    Waiting for new door and frame. Dealer installed a second snap for us.
    7. Window next to kitchen table (left side) never opened properly. Still waiting for replacement.
    8. Bubble in outside wall under bedroom slide. Piece ordered.
    9. Driver side storage compartment door – 2 pop rivets busted and doesn't latch securely. Repaired.
    10. Front storage bay – right side latch opens during travel. Repaired.
    11. Convection oven (upgraded) starts & heats on its own. :-) Key pad had a short? Waiting for parts.
    12. Satellite wiring not working. Hoping dealer gets this fixed. :-)
    13. Crack in front end cap. Whole new end ordered.
    14. Both J-skirts (?) were wavy. One was replaced and the other wasn't installed properly.

There are other little items like broken screws, light bulbs burned out and moldings that needed glue.
    I think GD has been great about agreeing to the repairs and replacements. We really haven't had anything major .... except for the convection oven starting and HEATING on its own. That was a little creepy!

All in all .... we love our new Solitude and know we made the right choice!
    Jeff & Cathy K - Dayton, NV
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 384GK #TBD
    2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD 4x4 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Warranty Issues

Wow, that's some kind of list. A lot of those are just small items that happen in the real world. I can understand some of the scratches, nicks, and hardware needing adjusted. That being said, some of your list is serious stuff, 8, 12, 13 are potential long term problems. I hope you get it worked out, I certainly hope the unit I ordered doesn't suffer from these problems. This is not my first Fifth Wheel, or certainly not my first camper. My Jayco Fifth Wheel had zero issues, and I mean zero problems. I was reluctant to buy anything else, I hope I'm not sorry after reading your post.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My List:
    Here's the list I went to my dealer with:

Fixed:
    1) auto leveling not working (wires crossed) repaired and working now.
    2) holes about 1" in diameter when the slides where in (the rubber side cover -gasket not installed properly... so reinstalled) No holes now!
    3) light out (it was a bulb) they changed it out.
    4) power plug cover wouldn't close....repaired.

Awaiting Repairs:
    5)*** floor by the peninsula and pantry makes really major, noticeable creaky/groany noises. Awaiting word from manufacturer (I'm afraid this is a biggy---could have to send back to plant to be fixed as the slides and peninsula may have to come out and whatever is loose under the floor will have to be fixed. We are waiting on this repair.
    6) glass top on table doesn't fit flat (table was warped so new table ordered)

Adding to the list when I take our camper back to the dealer on Dec 3.
    7) Living Area air is not cooling--it blows but not cold air.
    8 ) Battery will not charge.
    9) The TV cabinet lid will no longer close.

So far our dealer has been great about getting everything repaired. I'm keeping my figures crossed regarding the floor. I'm afraid that's going to be a biggie
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a great experience with GD and would like to share!

As noted above, our convection oven started coming on and heating at random. We took it to the dealer for repair 1 1/2 weeks ago. Dealer called after a week and said it was the keypad and they ordered a new one. Since we r going camping for thanksgiving and planning a big dinner, I asked if it would be in by then. I was told no it takes 10-14 days to get here (California). I hesitated and was told "we can't just pull one out of our butt" ... Hmmm! Or i could have it shipped 3 day air at my expense and that would be around $200-$300. For a keypad???? So I called GD and spoke with Jerry McCarthy. After a 3 minute conversation, he had a new oven shipped that day! Thanksgiving saved! Wow, I'm beyond impressed. My dealer was pretty shocked too and as it turns out they hadn't even placed the order.

So I say to GD and Jerry, bravo! You continue to impress and solidify we made the right choice! Thanks!!
    Jeff & Cathy K - Dayton, NV
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 384GK #TBD
    2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD 4x4 SRW

marmidor

Wow! Sure hate to hear y'all are having issues. We have been camping in our for the last month and have only found a few minor things wrong with it. So minor we won't even be taking in it to fix it. The husband will fix them for us. We are beyond impressed with our unit. Built like a cinder block.

The few issues we have had, Jerry addressed immediately. Great company and great product.

Ron S

Our bedroom AC unit also needed to be replaced (covered under the warranty) but I do not attribute that to the quality of the design or workmanship that went into our trailer. While the AC was being replaced, we had a few minor items addressed.

We love everything about our trailer and are looking forward to heading out again next weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote author=Renee link=topic=141.msg719#msg719 date=1384483760]

Awaiting Repairs:
    5)*** floor by the peninsula and pantry makes really major, noticeable creaky/groany noises. Awaiting word from manufacturer (I'm afraid this is a biggy---could have to send back to plant to be fixed as the slides and peninsula may have to come out and whatever is loose under the floor will have to be fixed. We are waiting on this repair.

So far our dealer has been great about getting everything repaired. I'm keeping my figures crossed regarding the floor. I'm afraid that's going to be a biggie
    [/quote]

OK...took my camper back to the dealer for the above repairs....let's hope it doesn't take too long. We usually camp after Christmas for a few days. I'm being optimistic that I'll have my camper back!!
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I have had a few minor issues with mine that I still have to get looked at. Just been camping and have not had the time. These are the few issues I have had:

Bedroom door will not stay closed.
    Snap broke on bathroom door now hard to secure when traveling
    Shelf under TV does not stay up slants down when I open it. Binds if I try to put it back in, cannot use it and really miss it.
    Some molding has come down in the kitchen area.
    Rain sensor on fan does not work

Other than those few things everything else is super and I love my Solitude would not give it up for anything. Have to call my dealer and make an appointment now that I finished my last camping trip until March unless I decide to do some winter camping.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Warranty Issues *update*

[quote author=Renee link=topic=141.msg922#msg922 date=1386125387]

Awaiting Repairs:

OK...took my camper back to the dealer for the above repairs....let's hope it doesn't take too long. We usually camp after Christmas for a few days. I'm being optimistic that I'll have my camper back!!
    [/quote]

My List:
    Here's the list I went to my dealer with:

Fixed:
    5)*** floor by the peninsula and pantry makes really major, noticeable creaky/groany noises. ----This was fixed! It was not as bad as I thought. There was something not tighten, and the tech tightened. No more MAJOR groaning and creaking in my floor!
    6) Living Area air is not cooling--now blows cold air.
    7) Battery will not charge---replaced!
    8 ) The TV cabinet lid will no longer close. Fixed...had to be re-adjusted.

Awaiting Repairs: (Last thing)
    9) glass top on table doesn't fit flat (table was warped so new table ordered) Been waiting on this since Oct. Apparently these tables are hard to get for some reason.

My beautiful Solitude is back home and ready to go camping!
    My Dealer tells me when the table comes in, I can just bring it in and not bring the camper back.
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250