Likes Likes:  0
    Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Towing Weights from Loveland, CO trip

Alright, so I finally got around to getting myself together with my weights. Now this is not completely accurate as we had more people in the truck when we weighed heavy. That said, we had 3/4 full fresh, no grey, no black, full tank of gas, and 5 people on board.
    Truck is a 2013 Ram 3500. Empty weight is me and my son. We weigh in at 400 between us.
    Empty Weight: 9120, Front Axle: 5420, Rear 3700
    Full Weight: Truck: 12700 - Front Axle: 5510, Rear 7180. Trailer: 11840 on the axles, 3580 on the Pin or 23.22%. Gross Weight: 24540.

My only concern is that I'm over weight on the rear by 180 lbs. I am going to adjust my hitch to take more on the front, and I've already removed 100 lbs from the front of the trailer. Otherwise, I'm really pleased where it weighed in. I like the pin weight, which is reflected in the handling of the trailer.

We're heading out to San Antonio next week for Thanksgiving, and I plan on weighing again. I think the changes I've made will pull the last bit off the rear axle and put it up front. I'll post the results soon.
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

rocketmx

Re: Towing Weights from Loveland, CO trip

Chris,

I'm having a hard time figuring out how you came up with your pin weight. If I'm reading your post correctly, your front axle went up 90lbs, your rear went up 3480lbs and this was after adding the RV and 3 additional people. If that is correct, wouldn't your pin weight be 3570 minus the weight of the 3 extra people? Also, which model do you have? I haven't weighed ours yet, but it will be interesting to see what it comes in at. The brochure specs the typical empty pin weight of a 369RL at 2600, but I found a piece of paper from the factory that said ours is 2910. Ouch!

Mark

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Re: Towing Weights from Loveland, CO trip

Pin Weight was calculated by taking the rear axle weight full minus the rear axle weight empty and then adding the difference of the front axle full minus the full front empty. It is not exact since the people in the truck were different, but that's a max of 250 lbs in the cab (so figure 175 on the axle). I didn't get a chance to weigh it this trip, but will do it when I pick it up from Service soon.
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements