User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    tomd

Look for Solitude. Have a few questions?

We currently own a Class A motorhome and in the market for a Solitude. We have been to two of the three dealerships in Arizona that sell the Solitude. The sales staff is very unimpressive at both these locations. Last weekend when we went to Lazydays in Tucson to see the 368RD and 305RE they have in stock there the saleman could not answer one of my questions. So he went off and got the so called Fifth Wheel expert and he had no answer and I think knew less then the first guy. What really made me mad about the whole thing was he kept trying to steer us to a Redwood and was talking down the Solitude. Well the Redwood was $30,000+ more then the Solitudes and I really did not see what was so great over the Redwood over the Solitude that would justify me paying $30,000 more for it. My son did not like the Redwood because there was no easy access to the HDMI port so he could hook up his PS 3 on the Redwood tvs and I agree with him.

So I am going to ask my questions here. I know I will get more help here then I did to talking to 4 different salemen at 2 different dealerships.

I really like the 369RL but we are a family of 3 and sometime 5 when my in-laws travel with us. There is no bed the rear of the 369RL. Is there an option to get a bed like the one in the 305RE?

Can larger propane tanks fit into the bays where the 20 pound propane tanks are at? If so, has anyone placed larger tanks in there?

We have had 2 different class A RV and have always had a generator. We use a generator especially when boon docking or spending the night in a truck stop when driving across country. Anyone install a generator? If so what did you install and what is the average cost of an install of a generator? Or should we just look into getting a portable generator but having a portable generator would not be to convenient when pulling over to the side of the road for the night?

Is it worth it to install a satellite dish ontop of the Solitude?

We are very new to fifth wheels and even though we have Rved for 6 years when it comes to fifth wheels I am clueless.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Look for Solitude. Have a few questions?

I currently own a 369RL and I had the recliners in the rear of the unit changed to the sofa bed they offer. It is a queen size bed so will sleep two people. Then I also have the king size bed in the bedroom. The sofa bed is really nice and I find it to be comfortable when sleeping on it. I am currently looking into putting a generator in my unit but am in the process of getting estimates. Not sure about the propane, the compartment looks like it is pretty much sized for the size tank in there, that would be a question for the factory. I really love my Solitude and have traveled over 5000 miles with it this year. It is a very nice towing trailer and very spacious especially if you plan on having five people staying in it. AS far as a REdwood I liked the layout and the amount of space better in the Solitude. I also think the REdwood is overpriced for the features you get with it. They do have some additional features but not enough to warrant spending another $30,000 in my opinion.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum tomd. Go to the Tech Corner and ask some of your questions. Bill Fenech, one of the Grand Design owners, and Janice from Customer Service are members of the forum and will be happy to answer any question you have about the Solitude 369RL.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi tomd:

Thank you very much for considering a Solitude by Grand Design RV. We are very proud of the products we are producing and of the company we have created. I am very sorry for your experience at Lazy Days in Tucson. They are a great dealer and I am not sure why this happened. Their General Manager is a good guy and a friend of the company. I will let him know about your experience. As "Steve and Cill" mentioned, you can ask specific questions in the tech corner and we will answer them for you. Marc Hauser, our General Manager, for the Solitude would love to speak with you and answer ALL of your questions and help you with your purchase. His cell number is 951-970-4975.

I hope this helps,

Bill Fenech

tomd

That is great. We just sold our Monaco and am itching to get my fifth wheel.

Thank you for replying.

Gary

I will say that in our 369 rl I did try fitting my spare 30# lp tank in my driver side compartment
    And it did fit so up grading to 90# capacity is a possibility