User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 4-Seasons Protection Package (unheated 2500RL cargo bay)

Hi All,
    Purchased a 2500RL in February and finally started inspecting, testing things, and adding modifications.
    Quite happy so far with this unit...especially:
    - Tremendous view out large windows in rear and in dinette slide-out.
    - Tremendous breeze through cabin with two screen doors & all windows all open.

Two issues turned up so far are:
    (1) Twisted (thus blocked) sink water lines resting against hot furnace box...see my post: Imagine 2500RL - Twisted Sink Water Lines
    (2) No heat showing up in utility box (docking station in front-left cargo bay)

No Heat in Utility Box
    I used an indoor/outdoor temp sensing from house to compare cabin temp and temp inside the docking-station utility box (water pump location).
    Ran furnace for 2 hours to warm unit from 29 deg to 65 deg and observed the utility box stayed only 2 deg above outside temp (27 deg).
    I checked the 2 inch duct at furnace...looks fine and is routed into floor very near furnace...and I can only assume it is routed to front somewhere near the fresh water tank. I did not find any purpose-cut return-air openings in floor near furnace (under sink) or in floor under shower, so I assume the various openings for pipes/ducts/dwv allow air to return from belly. I also did not find any openings in cargo bay to allow heat in from belly.

We have the 4-Seasons Pkg which GD website describes as follows:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImagineBrochure4Season.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	7421

Does anyone else with an Imagine find their cargo bay and utility box are indeed clearly heated?
    Last edited by Steve&Camy; 03-19-2017 at 06:27 AM.
    Steve and Camy
    2017 TUNDRA 5.7L CrewMax 4WD
    2017 IMAGINE 2500RL, Andersen WD Hitch, Honda 2200 Gen (bumper-mount)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I un-bolted part of the coroplast near dump valves and discovered the 2 inch heat duct for the enclosed belly terminates near the black tank valve. So there clearly is no attempt to route heat duct to the front near pump and fresh water tank. Also the water line coming from pump is up against the cold trailer frame as it proceeds rearward; so I added a 6" wide fiberglass batt between line and frame.

Conclusion: In sub-freezing weather the pump and supply line would likely freeze first.

Improvements: I plan to put a 40 watt bulb inside dock station, powered via Thermal Cube that comes on T 35 deg. If boon docking, a 12 volt heat source would be required...or else one could create an opening between pump area and bedroom (hole in wall near elect. outlet). In either case the dock station should be sealed off from cargo bay. Will see how this works next fall :-)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, this is interesting as it clearly states in the brochure "heated utility center and storage bay" I wonder if others have this issue. We are picking up our 2500RL on Thursday, so I will talk to the dealer about this and see if he knows anything. If you are on facebook there is a Grand Design Imagine specific group that are very helpful. There is also a Grand Design representative named Bill Martin who can get you the help you need. Would you mind if I posted this question on the facebook page if you do not have access to it? Could be others have the same issue.
    Kim and Mark
    2016 Ford F-150, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, 3.55, Sport Package
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think the heat duct probably came off or is pinched somewhere.

They do duct heat into the hook up center, and also to the dump valves. (which is probably what you saw)
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim& Mark,
    Go ahead and post at facebook as you mentioned. I did contact GD about this (Joe C. Is looking into it). I will take a look at the Facebook page, thanks.

huntr70, Very interesting what you said above. I opened up the coroplast all along the driver side from valves to dock station and no sign of any other duct. However, there is round ~4" hole into docking station, with a 1 inch wide metal strip running across it. Would be a great spot to run a 2 inch duct into. Perhaps this is for a second duct and was totally missed. I used an infrared gun to measure temperatures on the bottom of the chloroplast and only found a warm spot near the black tank dump valve .

Note: today I discovered the circuit breaker's are missed labeled, you might check each one to be sure what each is for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design called me today about 4-Seasons Protection Package to answer my question about why the utility center is not getting any heat.

Joe C. said they do not provide any heat to utility center or cargo bay (in spite of the brochure stating that they do).

So the 2" heat duct I found terminating a foot behind the black tank dump valve is all that is intended, and it is 10 ft away from utility center.

Fortunately, Grand Design's 4-Season Package has taken care of the hard part (heat duct, foil insulation, foam-sealed openings, and coroplast bottom cover), so all I have to do is add light bulb heat from thermo cube and/or create an opening between bedroom panel and utility center (and seal center off from cargo hold).
    Steve and Camy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, thank you for the update. This is very unfortunate, as we plan to be out when the weather is iffy at the beginning and end of the season. We assumed that since all areas were heated we would be good as long as we kept the furnace at a decent temperature setting. Please post updates of the changes you make to the area as we may have to do the same.
    Kim and Mark
    2016 Ford F-150, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, 3.55, Sport Package
    2017 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a fair amount of leakage from the bed area to the utility area. I haven't had the RV out in 20 degree weather, but I have had it below freezing to maybe the very high 20s.

My experience has been is to keep the fresh water tank filled. Unless you have taken care of your shore connections expect the shore water line to freeze.

The water pump is in the cabin, so as long as you are keeping the cabin warm enough I would not expect the pump to get close to freezing.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KatrinaAnon...I am curious why you say "There is a fair amount of leakage from the bed area to the utility area". Don't see any in our unit and temperature measurements show zero warmup there with cabin heat on for hours.

In our 2500RL the plywood panel with USB/120volt outlets in it (below drawer on drivers-side of bed) is the rear wall of the utility center. There is no leakage of air into utility area from this wall.

My best idea for heating the utility box is to put two screened openings (one high, one low, to promote convection) in this panel so that the box stays warm while traveling/camping w/o electric hookup. Second idea is to use 12 volt power in utility center and a thermo-cube to light up incandescent 12 volt bulbs for hear.
    Steve and Camy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I turn on the lights in the bedroom and get into the front hold I see a lot of light.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast