Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microwave/Convection Oven

Saw a few mentions regarding micro/convection ovens and am thinking that some owners have changed from the standard micro. Any info regarding this would be great! Ie: brand, where purchased, and was the removal/installation difficult? We are considering this change!
    John & Joanne--Fort Gratiot, MI
    Maisie the Camping Cat
    2014 Solitude 369RL #942
    2014 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Microwave/Convection Oven

We ordered and installed a Dometic Convection + Sensor Over-Range Microwave from Camping World. (cost with shipping was around 310.00--think you get a discount of you're a Good Sam's member and you call them). It's the same size and installation was fairly easy to do. We did have to drill 2 new holes to mount the oven to the underside of the cabinet. It pretty much mounted exactly as the oven that was in the camper. We followed the directions -- they were pretty explicit.

I have used it several times. It works perfectly...and having a convection oven is a great option!
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info...heading to the website in a minute! Very reasonable price! Have looked in retail stores a bit and just thought at Campers World etc they would be more expensive...you know how it is: RV or Marine jack up that price! Maybe our Christmas present to each other...the RV was just because! LOL!
    Maisie the Camping Cat
    2014 Solitude 369RL #942
    2014 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote author=goose115 link=topic=128.msg647#msg647 date=1383487527]
    ...the RV was just because! LOL!
    [/quote]

Same here! And yes, the price was fantastic. I searched and looked at several options all well over $500. I was pleasantly surprised to find a brand name at a reputable company for a very reasonable price! If you don't find it, let me know. I've got a link from where I purchased, but it's about a mile long. I can post it or send it in pm.
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renee...ordered our microwave/convection, should be here any day! Was it difficult to remove the original? I'm thinking this should be a pretty easy job for my honey-do!! Thanks for your input.
    Maisie the Camping Cat
    2014 Solitude 369RL #942
    2014 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hubby and I did it by ourselves.

Above the micro in the cabinet you'll find the 2 bolts that are holding the microwave in place. We removed those (I was more of "the hold it in place" person). We then tilted the micro forward a bit and lift it off the plate mounted to the wall...which has a lip that the micro sat upon. Just be careful, you'll need to reuse that plate. Then just lift it off and out...It did take 2 of us, cause that micro is large and bulky. The new oven will sit upon the plate just like the old oven did.

We then used the template that comes with the new oven to re-drill the holes. We also had to add another piece of 2 x 4... for added support (if i remember correctly, we cut it in 1/2 making it 2x2. I believe we mounted the 2x4...or 2x2 using wing nuts. We reused the bolts that mounted the microwave that came with our camper. One thing to make sure when you're mounting is to place the oven wall snug against the wall of the cabinet near the fridge. If too close to the pantry wall, the door of the oven will rub against it. We had to adjust ours.

The electrical cord is mounted it a difference place on the new oven, but you have plenty of cord in order to plug your new microwave into the outlet.

The most challenging part was changing the venting (which we did before we we started mounting the new oven). Our oven came ready to mount with venting outside. Getting the back off the oven, changing the vent fans, and putting it all back together was tough. Neither of us are particularly mechanically minded, but we managed. If you're a pro at honey-do projects, you'll probably have no problems.

The directions were great. Pictures and all!
    Hope this helps

2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for your detailed input...you could write an instruction manual!! We have been doing projects together for many years and still like each other! But I will admit we sometimes feel like Lucy and Ethel trying to get through some projects...wallpapering comes to mind...we installed an over the range micro in our home some years ago...this home happens to be on wheels! Thanks again!!
    Maisie the Camping Cat
    2014 Solitude 369RL #942
    2014 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK Goose! How about an update Did y'all get that oven installed?
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Renee we actually installed it on Saturday. Getting the old micro down was a piece of cake in the overall scheme! Tipped it forward and onto a storage tub and then out of the stove area that continued to "shrink" as the project moved forward. We actually did not use the bracket from the old one...in looking over everything, we realized how much heavier the new one was and elected to use the one for the new one. That also screwed the oven into the wall as well as down from above. That bugger is really heavy!! We did orient it as far to the right as we could but the door still rubs on the left. At this point we will live with it that way (we are actually in storage mode for the winter :'( ) we may at some point need to adjust. The good news is it works!! ;D
    Maisie the Camping Cat
    2014 Solitude 369RL #942
    2014 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm...I wonder why the door rubs. It looks to open the same way as the microwave. I have discovered that I do not necessarily have to open the door all the way inorder to put something in or take something out of the oven.

If you get a solution, let me know!
    The convenience of a reasonably price convection oven out-ways the inconvenience of the door not opening all the way, imo
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast