User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I took some pictures of my 2017 F-350 w/337RSL and Andersen coupler mounted so that the ball is forward of the pin. I can only get about 45 degrees of turning before there is contact with the truck bed side rails. With the coupler mounted where the pin is forward of the ball I get almost 80 degrees and the contact point would not be the bed rails but the rear window.

So there is a trade off either way it is mounted. I prefer the original way I had it where the pin is forward of the ball and I swapped it this afternoon after putting the trailer to bed at the storage facility.

Pictures attached show max turning with pin forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 333.jpg   222.jpg   111.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Dad47 View Post
    Jerry,

I have essentially the same rig as you, just a 2016 truck. I initially set the adapter with the ball to the front as I was more concerned about cab clearance than bed rail clearance. You now have me rethinking that decision. Only down side to me of the ball aft arrangement is aligning with the ball to hitch up. I made a simple alignment aid (see photo) that works great; but, won't work if I reverse the adapter. How do you align for hitching?

Also curious is you noticed any change in the ride or motions from the fiver when you reversed the adapter.

Thanks, Bill
    Bill,

When I looked is appears that attaching a temp rod where I show it in my attached picture would work pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red1.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - so obvious that I didn't see that.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    OK, I took some pictures of my 2017 F-350 w/337RSL and Andersen coupler mounted so that the ball is forward of the pin. I can only get about 45 degrees of turning before there is contact with the truck bed side rails. With the coupler mounted where the pin is forward of the ball I get almost 80 degrees and the contact point would not be the bed rails but the rear window.

So there is a trade off either way it is mounted. I prefer the original way I had it were the pin is forward of the ball and I swapped it this afternoon after putting the trailer to bed at the storage facility.

Jerry - this is really good first hand data of the two position alternatives available. I don't have an Andersen hitch but have been following the various discussions and the math just never seemed to add up. One way was going to be close to the bed rails and the other had to be close to the cab. 45 degrees without hitting is just not a viable configuration so you must take the other . . . but that will be less than 80 degrees with any amount of upward slope in the truck position.

These pictures should be filed where others can easily find them . . . in the library ?

Have you thought about sending these to Andersen for their comment ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there is a trade off either way it is mounted. I prefer the original way I had it were the pin is forward of the ball and I swapped it this afternoon after putting the trailer to bed at the storage facility.

Have you tried turning your Anderson hitch 180 degrees?
    Ed & Janet
    Toby - Golden Retriever

2017 GD Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty
    Anderson Ultimate Rail Mount

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So there is a trade off either way it is mounted. I prefer the original way I had it where the pin is forward of the ball and I swapped it this afternoon after putting the trailer to bed at the storage facility.

Why not drop your pin box down to raise front of your trailer and gain clearance over bed rails? The nose will be higher in the front, suspension equalizer will distribute weight evenly on tires. Rembert this hitch was designed to increase distance between nose and back of your cab
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtclod View Post
    Why not drop your pin box down to raise front of your trailer and gain clearance over bed rails? The nose will be higher in the front, suspension equalizer will distribute weight evenly on tires. Rembert this hitch was designed to increase distance between nose and back of your cab
    There is no issue with clearance between the trailer overhang and bedrails. The issue is that the pin box would hit the side rails in tight turns. Currently the way the pin box is set and with the Andersen ball set to middle height I have 7.5" clearance between the trailer overhang and side rails.

Edit: Never mind. I now see your point. Lowering the pin box would raise the portion of the trailer frame that would contact the bedrails. .
    Jerry & Linda

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry,

I see in your pics that your kingpin coupler is orange at the bottom, is that the currently shipping model? Mine is the older style with just the metal box, no lip and on the Anderson site I see one with a lip that is black so what is the story on the orange one?

Thanks,
    Tim
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    2016 GD Reflection 357BHS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim,

Seems like you have the original version. The black metal funnel was 2 nd version and the Red Plastic is the current version.

If you call Andersen I bet they would send you the red plastic funnel and longer bolts. It allows you to be off 3" and still be able to drop the coupler on the ball without damaging the ball or coupler.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry,
    Turned my adapter around at attached my hitch aid as you suggested. Works perfectly.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1862.jpg  
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast