Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen pictures, turning with short bed Ford F-350

I took some pictures yesterday at the request of a Ford-Truck forum member

I have a 2017 F-350 short bed crew cab. I have my Andersen coupler mounted so that the pin is forward of the ball which puts the trailer closer to the truck back window. I did this to minimize issues with clearance of the pin box hitting the side rails of my Bakflip F1 hard Tonneau cover.

I can get about 75 degrees of Turn before the front if the trailer gets a few inches from truck back window. BUT looking and the twist this puts on the wheels and axles I would not want to turn this steep unless absolutely nessesary.

Here are some pictures. Look at the wheel/tire twisting at this severe angle backing turn. It's very very scary.

Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1494.jpg   IMG_1480.jpg   IMG_1490.jpg   IMG_1478.jpg   IMG_2947.jpg  

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jerry,

Agreed that tire twist looks scary. It certainly seems worse when backing. This is the "sidewall twist" that tire manufacturers claim their ST tires are designed to withstand while LT tires might not.

Remember that your pictures and measurements are on level ground. The truck would not have to be more than a few degrees up at the front, to bring back window and trailer cap together.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry, I can't tell from the pictures. Is your trailer level and how much clearance do you have to the top of the pickup box? I have the same truck & trailer but haven't had a chance to hook mine up yet.
    Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    Jerry, I can't tell from the pictures. Is your trailer level and how much clearance do you have to the top of the pickup box? I have the same truck & trailer but haven't had a chance to hook mine up yet.
    Bob
    Bob,

The front of the trailer is 1" higher than the back.

I have 7 1/2" clearance to the top of the top of the pickup box with the Andersen ball set to the middle hole. See picture.

EDIT: I attached a side view picture of the truck and trailer connected so you can see trailer relative level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3047.jpg   IMG_1443.jpg  
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for you Jerry, you stated that you have the Anderson coupler mounted so that the pin is forward and by doing this gives you 7 1/2 inches of clearance which seems like plenty. So my question is have you ever tried it with the pin box is in the rear, basically flipping how you mount the adapter on your king pin. I'm just curious how much clearance you would have if you did that. I'm asking becuase that is how I currently set mine up but have not used it yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Bob,

The front of the trailer is 1" higher than the back.

I have 7 1/2" clearance to the top of the top of the pickup box with the Andersen ball set to the middle hole. See picture.
    I have lots of adjustment in my B&W. I should be able to achieve the same results as you.
    Thanks for the information.
    Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idtrout View Post
    Question for you Jerry, you stated that you have the Anderson coupler mounted so that the pin is forward and by doing this gives you 7 1/2 inches of clearance which seems like plenty. So my question is have you ever tried it with the pin box is in the rear, basically flipping how you mount the adapter on your king pin. I'm just curious how much clearance you would have if you did that. I'm asking becuase that is how I currently set mine up but have not used it yet.
    Funny you should ask.

I am towing my Reflection to a trailer shop tomorrow to get disk brakes installed. This afternoon I flipped the coupler so that the BALL is forward of the PIN BOX to try it out tomorrow. I get the same 7.5" space from the top of the bed rails to the trailer overhang.

What I did increase significantly is the distance from the tailgate to the front of the trailer with the tailgate dropped when hitching. It went from about 6 or 7" to 13".

My concern is that my turning angle before the pinbox hits the bed rails may be decreased. I haven't taken it out of the driveway to make a tight backing turn and measure it. Just measuring distance of 36" from ball to the pin box at the same height as the bed rails it looks like I can at least do a 45 degree turn safely before any interference.
    Jerry & Linda

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Funny you should ask.

I am towing my Reflection to a trailer shop tomorrow to get disk brakes installed. This afternoon I flipped the coupler so that the BALL is forward of the PIN BOX to try it out tomorrow. I get the same 7.5" space from the top of the bed rails to the trailer overhang.

What I did increase significantly is the distance from the tailgate to the front of the trailer with the tailgate dropped when hitching. It went from about 6 or 7" to 13".

My concern is that my turning angle before the pinbox hits the bed rails may be decreased. I haven't taken it out of the driveway to make a tight backing turn and measure it. Just measuring distance of 36" from ball to the pin box at the same height as the bed rails it looks like I can at least do a 45 degree turn safely before any interference.
    Jerry, once you tow tomorrow I am real curious on how you make out. How close is the pin box to your tailgate and to the bed rails now? If the bed rail clearance is there it should give you a lot more clearance at the cab on a tight turn off angle.

Thanks, Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 337 with a RAM 2500 (yeah, I know but it tows and stops beautifully) but I digress. Previously had adapter mounted with ball forward of pin to give more clearance between trailer and truck cab. Did not hit bed rails with pin box but minimal clearance on level ground and tight turn. Would have hit on uneven ground. So...going to reverse it and just watch truck/trailer clearance when turning. Oh, Anderson hitch ball pegged at center hole, still gives a nose hi attitude. May try bottom hole with adapter reversed and see how it fits.
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry,

I have essentially the same rig as you, just a 2016 truck. I initially set the adapter with the ball to the front as I was more concerned about cab clearance than bed rail clearance. You now have me rethinking that decision. Only down side to me of the ball aft arrangement is aligning with the ball to hitch up. I made a simple alignment aid (see photo) that works great; but, won't work if I reverse the adapter. How do you align for hitching?

Also curious is you noticed any change in the ride or motions from the fiver when you reversed the adapter.

Thanks, Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1826.jpg  
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast