User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    tucsonstan

Best satellite system for 5th wheel

Folks, right now we have a Cox system installed and have been having a whole lot of problems with tv picture, sound. Changed out boxes 4 times, have had the tech people out twice and still tv problems, picture tiling, voices sounding like they are underwater, picture blanking out completely for a few seconds. So we are considering a satellite system and would like to know who likes what and why. Also would like to get a satellite antenna up on the roof but don't know which one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Stan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Dish at home so that was a good choice for us. We use the tailgator for the dish and bring a receiver from home. A lot depends on where you camp. We stay at mostly state parks and they are usually pretty wooded. Getting a signal with a roof mounted dish would be tough, if not impossible in a lot of cases. We have seen guys walking around with signal meters, moving up or back a few feet and even moving sites due to trees. I have had to go 30 feet from the trailer before getting a signal and sometimes right next to the trailer works. I can usually be setup and watching TV in under 5 minutes. Some private campgrounds have rules against setting a dish so if you go to the same place a lot might want to check that.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

tucsonstan
    Thanks folks, still trying to make up our minds. We'll be at this park in Tucson for a few years due to some personal family matters.

droidguru
    We use a tailgater for dish as well. As a word of warning we camp in wooded areas and have only ever been able to get a signal once out of the eight times we have tried. So if you don't have a 100% clear view of the southern sky.......save your money. Otherwise you will have a $500 paper weight.

LA5ver
    We us a Winegard Pathway X2 with 2 DISH ViP 211k satellite television receivers. One for the bedroom and one for the living room. We also drive the TV in the entertainment center off of the living room receiver. Setup is easy and the reception is very good. Only the living room receiver can automaticaaly re-point the dish.

Papa Smurf
    We have a VuQube, with DirecTV, have never had a problem. If we are in a tree infested area, I put the receiver unit on top of the Bedroom A/C. That has always been high enough to get us a southern view.

The old style VuQube will only work 1 control box. I just purchased a new King (makers of VuQube) dish that has the dual feeds so we can watch on two control boxes (living room and bed room) without issues. It is a very light and easy to handle unit and does not require a power cord like the Carryout units.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Dish you will have more options and the portable dish will be cheaper. I have been using a tailgator for about 5 years and Iam thinking about upgrading to the 2 line unit that works with dish. I have been happy with it. I have dish at home so this dosent matter to me but dish offers service just for RVers . Pay by the month with no contract.
    Reflection 337
    2012 F-250 26,000 miles
    2015 F-250 46,000 miles

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We use the exact set up that LA5er uses. We also use Dish at home. You shouldn't have an issue in Tucson since trees are kind of far and few between. It's nice to see more folks from Tucson on here.