Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Connecting a Cable Modem via Cable connection

I recently purchased an Imagine 2600RB and have a question about connecting internet. NOTE: I am not trying to connect to the campground WiFi and this does not have to do with signal boosters. I recently sold my house and now I'm currently living in my RV at a campground that provides cable TV, and will be here for 2 months. I brought my cable modem from my home and was told by my internet provider that I would be able to connect to the internet via the cable connection at my site. I am having difficulties trying to get my modem to connect and I'm not sure if I am using the correct cable connections. I have the outlets in the utility center labeled Living Room, Cable, and Bedroom. I connected my cable to the marked Cable connection, I then connected my cable modem to the connector located under the TV signal booster connection. I turned off the signal booster but I am still unable to connect to my modem according to the technician at the internet provider. Am I connecting all of the cables correctly or am I missing something. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the splitter that is used to send cable to the bedroom and living room is messing up the signal used for the internet. See if you can get an approved splitter to split the cable at the park cable entry. Then send one side to the "cable" connection for TV reception and the other to the satellite connection to the living room. Then connect the cable modem to the satellite outlet in the living room. The satellite connection should be a straight through cable. See if the tech support folks buy that idea.
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend hooking the cable modem up directly to the connection at your site to see if it works before trying to chase down an internal problem that may not exist. I would agree that the type of splitter used can affect performance. When we lived in a house we had a similar issue where a splitter was on its way out and caused the cable modem to act up, swapping it out fixed the problem. If it works at the site, you might want to go into the basement and pull out the fake wall, you will see the backside of your incoming connections and can determine which one to hook up to and if needed, run a direct line to the modem using a splitter that is better suited for tv/internet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also try connecting direct at the pedestal first and I sure it works before troubleshooting the rig. If it doesn't and your ISP says you should be able to get service, I'd have them send service personnel there to troubleshoot it for you.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just had the same problem. Agree try checking at the pedestal first. Then I used the connecter marked cable it is a straight pass to the front TV only. I also had to change the ends on the wire to match the Xfinity connectors. No signal until I changed them. Everything works great after changing them. Hope this helps.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have to change the male connectors on the coax cable but did have to change the barrel (female to female) wall connections to meet the Dish specs. They are 3 GHZ connectors that have a blue plastic insulator in the center vs. a white one in the more common type. I had to do that at home also when Dish installed my system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are barrel connectors & splitters for the TV cabling under the RV floor

Grand Design may still be using barrel connectors to connect cable segments to lengthen the run. Depending on where you want to use high speed bandwidth, those under the floor may have to be changed to a 3GHz barrel connector (with the blue colour as mentioned in earlier posts) as well as any splitters. Make sure all connectors are tight.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info on the barrel connectors, I've seen several so far while going all through the FW's basement & underbelly.
    Looks like all the RG6 & Connectors are just good enough for OTA TV.

I need to draw me a diagram showing what outlet connects to what.
    Got started at the convenience center
    4 Coax Jacks on Top Outlet Plate: L to R, Coax Color
    1 Cable, Orange
    2 Living Room Entertainment Center, Gray
    3 Bedroom, Black
    4 Pass Through Curb Side, White

Bottom 1 Coax
    ? Orange

Pass Through Curb Side
    1 To Convenience Center
    2 To Splitter Out connection >> Splitter In connection, to Bedroom TV Signal Booster?

Haven't gotten any further than tightening connections, reconnectiong Orange coax to barrel in underbelly

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, first you need a splitter to share the cable connection with your TV and cable modem.

Unless the cable company is providing unlimited internet service to the campground cable system you need to setup an account with them (I had to at a campground I once did an extended stay). Once you have an account then the ISP service will be setup to recognize your cable modem and provide it an IP address (Layers 1 & 2 of the OSI model). Once the modem has an IP Address assigned to it, you can then connect your devices to the internet thru the router function, be it internal to the modem if it is a combo model, or a separate router. You will then get a message on the device that you do have an actibe internet connection (Layer 3 of the OSI model established). On your computer, if the WiFi icon (the vertical bars) are dim there is no internet seen by the computer. If any of them are lit with a yellow asterisk then computer and router connection is established (layer 1 and 2 from your computers point of view) have been established, but layer 3 has not, meaning no internet access to the ISP server has been established.

You may have a perfect wiring setup and the modem is in fact seeing the ISP server, but if the ISP server is not configured to provide your modem an IP Address, it will not.

Long story short, if the cable service is setup that anyone can connect a modem as long as they have an account setup (you would have to pay for internet service via an internet port based on port speed) then you would need to do so.

I've never seen an cable ISP provide internet service in a global fashion so anyone can connect a cable modem and have a private connection. The only exception is service provided to the campground who then provides WiFi via Access Points and a Router. We all know that is usually unreliable and not very secure.
    Last edited by usroamer; 06-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right, before trying to chase down an internal problem that may not exist, you should hooking the cable modem up directly to the connection at your site to see if it works.
    Probably, the type of splitter used can affect performance.
    It is quite a common mistake for users to assume that modems and routers are one and the same device with only slightly different features offered. This mistake is not all that surprising, really, they both do, in fact, provide a network connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast