Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford suspension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford suspension

Hi all,
    I'm in the process of researching my next Truck. I currently have a 2001 Silverado with a 6.0l engine and a 4l80e transmission. I bought the truck new, it now has 116,000 miles on it and it's time to move on. One of my careers was as a heavy line tech and engine builder for GM so I know the product well but will also be looking at the Ford F 350. Here's the question, how does the suspension perform with a 2140 pound pin and an additional 1000 pounds of cargo/gas? I would like to consider the truck but I don't want to invest $50k - 60k on a truck and have to add suspension upgrades to tow my reflection. The trailer weighs 10,460 pounds last added for a two week trip and 1/3 water tank. Towing will not be an issue, it's the equating of the suspension that has me concerned and can be a deal breaker. Thanks for your help on this!
    Horst
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow our Solitude 369RL with a 2012 F350 SWR diesel and have no issues at all. The only thing I did was add a set of Timbrens because the 'Sag" was just a little more than I like. With the FX4 off road package, you probably wouldn't need them. Like you said, "towing" with any of the big three 1 ton SWR diesel trucks is not a problem.... but PAYLOAD can be an issue. I think that any of the three would be more than enough for your 303. I will say that if I had it to do over, I would have gone with a dually just because the truck is used primarily for towing and very little around town stuff... AND if I decide to upgrade to something heavier than the 369, I would want the extra payload capacity which would require a dually anyway. Your needs, preferences and budget will dictate which truck you get but I suggest you get more truck than you need.

Just my 2 cents
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsons 369rl View Post
    I tow our Solitude 369RL with a 2012 F350 SWR diesel and have no issues at all. The only thing I did was add a set of Timbrens because the 'Sag" was just a little more than I like. With the FX4 off road package, you probably wouldn't need them. Like you said, "towing" with any of the big three 1 ton SWR diesel trucks is not a problem.... but PAYLOAD can be an issue. I think that any of the three would be more than enough for your 303. I will say that if I had it to do over, I would have gone with a dually just because the truck is used primarily for towing and very little around town stuff... AND if I decide to upgrade to something heavier than the 369, I would want the extra payload capacity which would require a dually anyway. Your needs, preferences and budget will dictate which truck you get but I suggest you get more truck than you need.

Just my 2 cents
    Are you happy with Timbrens? Just comparing quality/cost and see what works out to be the most effective.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we pull our solitude 320x with a 2015 f250 gas. seems to handle everything we ask so far, only pulled in Michigan, ohio and ky. plan a trip to n.c. later this summer,rpms may get a bet high in the mountians but its ford tough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob hohn View Post
    we pull our solitude 320x with a 2015 f250 gas. seems to handle everything we ask so far, only pulled in Michigan, ohio and ky. plan a trip to n.c. later this summer,rpms may get a bet high in the mountians but its ford tough
    I want to thank you for your reply, but As I stated, there's no doubt in my head that either brands can tow any weight trailer, I am asking about what Ford owners had to do if anything ie. Extra springs, airbags, timbres etc... With my Chevy I had to make no modifications which is what I'm hoping would be the case for the F350 as wee
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Horst,

I can't imagine that an F350 would even notice a 303RLS back there.
    We tow the same trailer with an F150 (max payload package). No squat . . . if fact, the trailer is towing a little nose high with only 5" of clearance between overhang and bed rails. I installed air bags "just in case" but really don't need them. I run them at 30 psi which provides noticeable cushioning and lifts the truck 1/2".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	2059

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horst - I am pulling a 303RLS with a F-250 + airbags. My truck will sag 7/8" with the 303 hooked up. (You can see my equipment in my signature) I usually pull with 30 lbs in the air springs and everything is factory level. With the F-350 having an extra spring leaf, I doubt (like Rob said) it will even notice the 303 being there. You might even have to try hitting a pot hole ever now and then just to see if the truck suspension squeaks.

Rich
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I want to thank you for your reply, but As I stated, there's no doubt in my head that either brands can tow any weight trailer, I am asking about what Ford owners had to do if anything ie. Extra springs, airbags, timbres etc... With my Chevy I had to make no modifications which is what I'm hoping would be the case for the F350 as wee
    To answer your actual question... I have a 2015 F350 DRW and a Momentum 385 (about 4k pin weight.) I added air bags to bring the back of the truck back up to "normal" ride height. It doesn't actually NEED them I just like it to ride more level and have my headlights pointing where they should.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 2013 F250 crew cab 4x4 18in tires 6.7L diesel and tow the 303RLS. Truck came with the camper package which adds heavier front springs, a third rear spring leaf, and rear stabilizer bar making it equivalent to F350. The FX4 off-road package does nothing for the payload capacity except you need to deduct the weight of the skid plates from payload capacity. For towing, truck squats about 1/2 inch when loaded for week of camping. I have added no aftermarket products except the B&W Companion hitch to fit the Ford factory puck system.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Are you happy with Timbrens? Just comparing quality/cost and see what works out to be the most effective.
    The Timbrens work just fine and do exactly what I need for a fraction of the cost of air bags. Very easy to install. They just bolt on in place of the factory bump stops. The only drawback I can see is, they are not adjustable like an air bag so if you use the truck as a daily driver, you will feel the larger bumps even more when the truck is unloaded.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast