User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snow Chains for Truck and Trailer - Need help

Hello all - thanks to all that responded to my last post - got some great info... looking for more please.

So living in California we don't have to worry about snow too much- unless we go skiing, and I don't take the trailer for that. But in about a week we are heading up to Idaho. We are going through Oregon - hopefully stopping near Crater Lake for 2 days to see it and then to Bend, OR for 2 days. Then heading up through Washington State into Idaho. The current weather at Crater Lake is snow and the road to the visitor center is close for a day or two due to 7" of snowfall yesterday. We should be staying 40 min or so south east - which I believe is lower elevation (around 4000). Not sure what the conditions are there, I am going to call. However when I set up and disconnect the truck, I will be driving up to crater lake, if the road is open. The website for crater lake says to have "traction tires" or carry chains. Well Traction tires are illegal in California so that option is out. I have not bought a set of chains for the new truck... guess I should probably do that.

Now the question is.... Do you'll put chains on the front tires of your truck and on two rear tires? I have a dually. I read a few places online and seems most people say they only chain up the outside rear tire - not all four rears. I assume that I need to chain up my front two tires too...?

Next question... Do you carry chains for your trailer? if so have you ever used them? Do you buy chains for all four tires on the trailer? If not which tires do you put chains on? Not sure if I will be going through any areas with snow...it seems this winter is far from over so there may indeed be some snow encountered on the road trip.

So you know my equipment... My Trailer is a Reflection 303 (2 axle)
    My truck is a 2016 F350 Dually 4x4

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Ted

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with chains, but im interested in the answer. I also have a dually and im moving to either upstate NY or Idaho sometime in 2018, i imagine the chains will be useful in either location.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can get by with chains on outside rear tires. Invest in a good set of chains, buy tighteners. Don't drive fast or far on dry roads, and take your time. If you have positrack rear, it will tend to push the front end.
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not sure about your Ford but for our new GMC the manual specifically instructs not to use chains. I'd look into Z cables. Oh, and never on the front tires (again, according to my GMC manual). I would definitely check your Ford manual as I'm sure it's addressed there.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tire chains are like electric drum brakes . . . ancient technology but still in use .
    If the weather is so bad that you think you need chains, just park it and wait till tomorrow.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a clarification, traction tires are simply Mud and Snow tires and perfectly legal in California. I agree with Rob. If conditions warrant chains time to park and wait for conditions to change.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Tire chains are like electric drum brakes . . . ancient technology but still in use .
    If the weather is so bad that you think you need chains, just park it and wait till tomorrow.

Rob
    X2 ^^. I towed once with chains... in 1977 over Monarch Pass in Colorado... never again.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oregon native here. First, when they say 'carry' they mean it. I've been stopped on the pass and been asked to show them, and they will not hesitate to turn you around. (7-11 stores makes a killing on chains when it snows.) California is the same way. Second, they do make dually chains, but I've seen folks run on just the outside tire, too. If you're looking for a 'practical minimum' (i.e. something actually functional when used) then yeah front axle and outer rear.

I do have issues with the lack of weight in bed when not towing, it can get pretty squirrelly back there without at least a ton in the bed. As for the drag/trailer chains I have no experience driving with that (would prefer to wait it out), but the big rigs stagger them by axle (front right, rear left, etc) or just run on the first trailer axle.

Made some good money as a teenager hanging in the chain-up areas and putting on chains for people. Cold, but lucrative.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Just a clarification, traction tires are simply Mud and Snow tires and perfectly legal in California. I agree with Rob. If conditions warrant chains time to park and wait for conditions to change.

Actually in Oregon they use the term traction tires and they mean … Traction tires are Studded / spiked tires… and they are illegal to use in california

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever have the need to chain up, the paint on the rig will more than likely suffer if you have to travel any distance. The front end is not an option on my GM, no room for the things. Like stated above, carry means have some in the rig. The State Patrol will check if the signs are in place, and that includes the trailer if you are towing.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast