User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torn wiper seal, 2017 reflection 297 RSTS

Set my new reflection 297 up at seasonal campground only to find on first use it had a torn wiper seal on the vertical side of large LR slide. Warranty provided new seal arrangement but dealer won't travel to site for repair. Since I have no easy way to deliver unit to dealer, I am going to make repair myself. the new seal includes both the inside and outside "D" seals and both wiper seals on an "H" mount. GD tells me it can be done without removing slide but it can be difficult to remove entire seal arrangement and replace. Has anyone completed this type of seal replacement? Can anyone give me any advice? I've included some pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170326_091235.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	7603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170326_091235.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	7603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170221_130257.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	7604

1. cross section view of new seal arrangement
    2. torn seal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey hank, were you able to complete the repair on your own? I have a torn wiper seal as well and can’t find any info on installing that type of seal replacement.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too was unable to find any info about replacing seal. I got all sorts of conflicting info from dealer from "it just slips on" to " you have to remove slide. I did receive a new seal from GD but it is still sitting in my storage area. I made a repair using Gorilla tape and it is holding up well. If you learn anything, let me know. Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Hank... others,

The replacement procedure depends on where it is located.
    My tear was on the side of slide, so that's all I can share on.

The main problem is the GD screws slide channel into the perimeter framing of the slide opening, and they're hidden from view.
    In order to remove the U- channel attachment bolts, one must move the slide over to the opposite side (allowing better access to these screws).

First step was to extend slide halfway out only, so that it balances on nylon carrier located under the slide.

I then loosened the slide's side to side alignment nuts/bolts, two per side, at each end.
    (If you download Lippert's slide adjustment manual, you have pictures that illustrate the location of these bolts.)

Once loosened, I "wedge up" the slide floor opposite of where the repair is located, but only enough to take the dead weight off the carrier threshold.
    Measure ground to slide distance and raise no more than 1/8".
    I cut a piece of 2 X 6 X 12" to act as a buffer so all the weight isn't in one spot and set it under the outside corner to "carry it." during movement.

Then.... I used an 8' - 2 X 6 on the side (where I will be replacing the seal,) and using it as a lever, position it at 45 degree angle to slide and on the ground and gently push the slide to opposite side of the opening. It moves quite easily, so be careful.

Now, you should have access to screws inside wall cavity. You should be able to feel them.
    I cut one side of the old slide seal assembly off, to access the screws more easily.
    Use a open end wrench to loosen screws/bolts and remove. Once removed, the rubber U-channel can be removed. It just twists out.
    Clean old silicone off coach walls with denatured alcohol and plastic razor blades.

Using the old one as a template, cut new seal assembly to same exact size.
    Slide out the two bulb seals out from the new assembly and set them aside.
    Twist the new assembly into place.

Using blocks and shims, position new seal tight to perimeter wall and screw into the outside bulb channel's center space , inside and out, on 16" centers, to secure assembly to trailer wall.
    Use stainless steel self-tapping screws and be sure they do not block any bulb seal channels.
    Take rubber cement, Super Glue, or the like, orient the overlapping corner correctly and glue together both inside and outside.
    C-clamp vise grips do nicely with plywood blocks until dry or affixed.

Using the wedge-up materials, position them on opposite corner from replaced seal.
    Using 2 X 6 X 8 ft lever, gently slide room back into place and check that both sides are evenly spaced and slide is centered in the opening.
    Re-tighten set screws and torque to 50 Ft lbs. (or whatever Lippert manual denotes)
    Slide new bulb seals into both channels inside and out.
    Seal the assembly edges with a non-silicone sealant.

Sounds harder than it is but IDK any other way, than to complicate the easiest of tasks !!!

Michael
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving an old thread here. GD parts website does not list the size of the bulb seal. From what I can find, I believe its 7/8-inch by 1-inch.
    Can anyone confirm this for me?
    Thanks!

Tim
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display