User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skirting starting to tear in several places?

Anyone else have problems with the skirting on your trailer? I have a 2016 350M. The day I pulled it off the dealer lot I noticed the skirting on the drivers side flapping back and forth as soon as I got on the highway so when I got to my RV space a few miles away me and my dad crawled under the trailer and noticed the manufacturer did not brace it from the kitchen slide to the front of the trailer. It wasn't flapping real bad so I wasn't real concerned. The following day the sun hit the drivers side skirting causing the skirting to heat up and separate from the gelcoat. The dealer did fix this but they did not file a claim with GD. While under the trailer we also noticed a cut in the skirting in the area the flapping was occurring. I thought wow it's already tearing? I called the dealer and they asked me to bring it in so I did. A few days later they called and said GD refused to pay for it and they designed it that way and it was GD that cut the skirting. That was part of the design. I picked it up and made several trips with it. I figured if it starts to come off I will let them fix it then. Last week I noticed it was getting really bad and the other side started tearing as well so I called GD and they said they will not pay for the repairs. I asked why I had a claim on this issue right after I bought it. They said the skirting is tearing due to wind and it's not their fault. I said, its a camper are you $@#* kidding???? After I said a few common sense replies he said they would cover the parts but not the labor. A few days later I noticed the factory 45 deg bend on the skirting is now tearing horizontal. This is a design flaw but it takes around 10 thousand miles to get as bad as it is. It's easy to see why this is happening. First they did not brace the beer can skirting and to make things worse they cut a slit at the bottom of the skirting at the halfway point on the drivers side between the slide and front 5th wheel and on the door side between the front door and and 5th wheel. That's like smashing a tin can sideways and then cutting a slit with a pair of scissors and then bending it back and forth a few times. I have read some issues about skirting on this forum. Is anyone else besides them experiencing skirting problems and did GD give you the same answer they gave me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waterboy:

Could you enlighten us on what you are calling "Skirting"? My definition is a fabric skirt that surrounds the bottom of the entire trailer down to the ground for use in the winter to keep cold and wind from blowing under the unit and increasing heating costs and causing pipes and tanks to freeze in the units basement. These are not designed to be used when the RV is traveling.

You seem to be communicating with GD so they know what you are talking about on your specific trailer but my first thought was "this guy is trying to tow with his fabric skirting attached to his rig". I'm sure that can't be the case but your use of skirting is misleading my thought process.

Please clarify?

Also, our trailer does not have skirts it has a kilt. No trailer of mine wears a skirt!
    George and Sally

2006 Ford F-550 4x4
    2017 F-450 King Ranch Dually 4X4
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL, Load Range G tires added
    Three 160 Watt Solar panels up top, W/D and Dishwasher
    2006 Lance 1191 side entry truck camper, 1 slide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooTingSTar View Post
    Waterboy:

Could you enlighten us on what you are calling "Skirting"? My definition is a fabric skirt that surrounds the bottom of the entire trailer down to the ground for use in the winter to keep cold and wind from blowing under the unit and increasing heating costs and causing pipes and tanks to freeze in the units basement. These are not designed to be used when the RV is traveling.

You seem to be communicating with GD so they know what you are talking about on your specific trailer but my first thought was "this guy is trying to tow with his fabric skirting attached to his rig". I'm sure that can't be the case but your use of skirting is misleading my thought process.

Please clarify?

Also, our trailer does not have skirts it has a kilt. No trailer of mine wears a skirt!
    GEORGE, I think he is referring to the aluminum trim on lower sides
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed an issue with a lot of flexing ("flapping") when I looked in the mirrors while under way - and my wife noticed when following behind. Fortunately, we've not experienced any metal fatigue or cracking and I came up with a solution. Not seeing a good fix without putting holes in the fairing/trim, I bought a can of spray-in foam insulation. I squirted it in between the fairing and the nearest solid structures and built up bridges. It adhered very well and, when solidified, provides very good, distributed support in the areas that were flexing. No more problems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

When you get a chance, would you mind posting up some pics of what you did?

Thanks!
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Rob,

When you get a chance, would you mind posting up some pics of what you did?

Thanks!
    OK, Curtis - I got up out of my Ekornes Stressless recliner, put on some shoes, and went out in the 64 degree sunny weather (no guilt yet, I suppose) and took a snap. As you can see, I didn't wipe up very well on the bottom lip - but the leftovers attest to adhesion. This has done an excellent job of stopping the flapping (street side shot - the curb side doesn't show up well in a photo).

Rob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0888 (Small).JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	7637
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just make sure to use the foam designed not to expand the surface in contact, called windows and doors otherwise it might deform the skirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 312BHTS
    2017 RAM 2500
    1999 Isuzu Trooper when I need a beater

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
    Just make sure to use the foam designed not to expand the surface in contact, called windows and doors otherwise it might deform the skirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for clarifying - that's what I used.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    OK, Curtis - I got up out of my Ekornes Stressless recliner, put on some shoes, and went out in the 64 degree sunny weather (no guilt yet, I suppose) and took a snap. As you can see, I didn't wipe up very well on the bottom lip - but the leftovers attest to adhesion. This has done an excellent job of stopping the flapping (street side shot - the curb side doesn't show up well in a photo).

Rob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0888 (Small).JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	7637
    Trying to make me feel guilty or jealous? LOL. Thanks Rob
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Trying to make me feel guilty or jealous? LOL. Thanks Rob
    We're just east of Temecula at the Escapees' park. Is the weather in Orange that much worse?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast