Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stabilizers - 2800BH

So we just took delivery of a 2017 2800BH about 2 weeks ago and this is our first camper. How stable are the stabilizers supposed to make the camper when they are extended? When they are in position (about 1/2 extended before contact is made), I am still able to rock the camper. Also, I've noticed that after they've set for as little as a day, they are loosening up and are no longer making full contact with the ground. Is that normal?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer will always have some movement, even with stabilizers down. I have never seen them not stay in contact with the ground after a day though, I would get that looked at. You might want to consider putting a pad under each stabilizer. Something like Hosspads here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I had some friends use wheel chock stabilizers and they said it helped them reduce motion in their camper a good deal, but I have not used them myself: https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel...eel+stabilizer

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried jack pads at first but I really had to extend the rear stabilizers out so I thought maybe that was the issue because of how far they were extended. I changed to blocks so that I didn't have to do almost full extension because I assumed they would create more stability that way and even with the blocks the rears seem to not stay in contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike and Julie View Post
    I tried jack pads at first but I really had to extend the rear stabilizers out so I thought maybe that was the issue because of how far they were extended. I changed to blocks so that I didn't have to do almost full extension because I assumed they would create more stability that way and even with the blocks the rears seem to not stay in contact.
    I would definitely chat with your dealer on that. I am far from an expert (very far) but that does not seem right to me.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ever you do, do not lube the jack screws on the stabilizer jacks. If you do they will have a tendancy to unscrew with movement.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    What ever you do, do not lube the jack screws on the stabilizer jacks. If you do they will have a tendancy to unscrew with movement.
    Agreed - Do not lube!! I did, now after wiping down the screws, I’m slowly getting mine back to the friction point where they’ll stay in place and not unscrew themselves...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may depend on how hard you are cranking them down. For best results, you should see the camper lift some of the weight off the suspension with the stabilizers down. They are not to be used as jacks, so don't get too crazy, but they are made to take some weight. If you are just putting them to the ground/blocks and stopping, try giving them a couple full turns each after they make initial contact.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    It may depend on how hard you are cranking them down. For best results, you should see the camper lift some of the weight off the suspension with the stabilizers down. They are not to be used as jacks, so don't get too crazy, but they are made to take some weight. If you are just putting them to the ground/blocks and stopping, try giving them a couple full turns each after they make initial contact.
    Yep, understand how they’re supposed to work. We’ve had our 2500RL for two years. The point is that lubing the screwjacks, like I recently did, causes them to be so loose as to back out of any lift that’s been gained. In other words, after putting in a few full turns of lift as you suggest and then removing the wrench, they now immediately unwind to the point where they’re not carrying any weight, and minimal stabilization. In this case, too much lube appears to not be a good thing...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plympat View Post
    Yep, understand how they’re supposed to work. We’ve had our 2500RL for two years. The point is that lubing the screwjacks, like I recently did, causes them to be so loose as to back out of any lift that’s been gained. In other words, after putting in a few full turns of lift as you suggest and then removing the wrench, they now immediately unwind to the point where they’re not carrying any weight, and minimal stabilization. In this case, too much lube appears to not be a good thing...
    ah so. Try hitting it with some carb and choke cleaner. That should strip the slip off, maybe enough to grab some purchase.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post

Jim
    Can you crank them down after the feet are on the ground? I was always under the impression you couldn't go more than 1/4 turn....
    2020 Transcend 27BHS
    2011 F150 SCREW 4x4 Offroad 3.73, Elocker, Ecoboost
    Gas a Just rear shocks / 5 star Adapative/Performance tunes
    Equalizer 10k hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast