Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud Popping Noise From Axle or Springs

Just picked up my new 2017 337RST. Following the 75 mile trip home we were maneuvering it to park it in the drive way (anxious to start with mods) when I heard a loud snap or popping noise that seemed to come from either the axle or the spring area on one side of the unit. My first thought was either a spring or the axle broke, but a quick look under the unit nothing appeared unusual or out of place. I had my wife pull it out of the drive and did not hear anything out of the ordinary until she made a slight turn to the right and once again a loud pop from the vicinity of the front axle on the drivers side. A short trip around the block we heard the same popping noise on two other occasions both when making left hand turns. After arriving back home I crawled under the unit for a close inspection. Again, nothing appeared to be unusual and all nuts were tight, however several of the nuts on the wet joints of the equa flex did not appear to be fully made up, as shown in the attached photos.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nut1.JPG   Nut2.JPG  
    Annie & Tom - Sugar Land, TX
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears to me those nuts are too loose. I think they should be snug
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBoyer View Post
    It appears to me those nuts are too loose. I think they should be snug
    I agree but the nuts are tight as I tried with everything I have to turn them. I may need a pneumatic impact wrench to turn it one way or the other
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annie & Tom - we have heard these same noises many times and I have crawled all over the suspension looking for the source. No abnormal wear or witness marks that I can find. There is a lot of play between the shackles and springs . . . I think the noises come from the spring ends moving back and forth between the shackles on the bolts. Other theories anyone?

You cannot tighten the nuts any further because they are tight against the shoulder where the bolt thread ends and the smooth shaft of the bolt begins. If you loosen or remove the nut, you should really replace it with a new one because it is a crimped torque retaining style that may not retain torque a second time.

Rob

Note: I edited this after I first posted it to clarify.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest you lubricate the wet bolts and see if it reduces or eliminates the noise. As for the excessive play, I eliminated much of that when I switched to Morryde components.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, thank you for the thorough explanation. I suspected that it might be possible it was hitting on the shoulder of the bolt but the amount of gap lead me to believe it just wasn't made up or this amount of movement would cause such a loud noise. I didn't have this problem or noise with the 2015 371RST so I guess I have been somewhat in denial put to this point.
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All,

Thank you very much, I value your input.

It does give some comfort knowing this is not that unusual but you can imagine my surprise and concern having not previously experienced this issue with my previous GD fifth wheel.

Jim - I will give the wet bolts a good lubricating, it couldn't hurt anything.

Thanks
    Tom & Annie
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like one of your shackles may have been flipped when you left the dealership, and it finally flipped back when you started maneuvering. They make a really loud bang when they flip. It's not uncommon for them to flip the wrong way when the axels are raised off the ground. You'll find several threads on this.
    Danny & Terri Austin TX
    2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC LWB 4x4 Duramax SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny, to my knowledge the axles have not been off the ground.

Just to clarify, the popping sound was more than just a one time event. It usually occurs when making a turn following having backed up, or it can also occur when making a turn while backing up.
    Last edited by Annie & Tom; 04-01-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Clarification and additional information
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The locking nuts aren't tight. The bolts may have run out of threads when tightening leaving the gap.The banging noise is the play in the bolt and plate(shackle) moving back and forth. There should be a bush behind the plate to keep from over torqueing the nut to keep the shackle doing what it is suppose to do. I would contact GD to see if they want new bolts or to be able to put washes behind the nuts. Also get the torque spec on the nuts and bolts to make sure they are tight enough when Done. Sounds like the dealer is quit a drive for you. Good Luck Wes
    Wes & Cathy 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi with 4.10 gears 2017 reflection 337rls

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast