User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Canyon Trip

I was just wondering if anybody had camped near the Grand Canyon. Also wondering what time of year is it best to go there. I want to plan a trip for next year and was wondering if anybody might have some suggestions for me. I would want hookups because I am planning on staying there for two weeks.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Grand Canyon Trip

Looking forward to the responses, we are planning to go there next May.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Midwestgirl

There's a KOA in Williams, Az about an hour away. KOA'S are a good choice if one isn't familiar with local campgrounds. We were at the Grand Canyon last June; beautiful weather, sunny and dry.
    Winter months experience COLD weather there!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We went in 2012. We left Virginia Beach in mid August and traveled through Dodge City and no man's land in OK and TX. (Before that I read The Worst Hard Time about the dust bowl, which I recommend if you are going to drive that way.) We spent Labor Day in Albuquerque, and stayed for 3 nights at the Grand Canyon that next week. We stayed at Trailer Village, with hookups, on the South Rim. That was plenty of time for us, since if our Golden Retriever can't go, we don't either so there wasn't much to do. From there we went to Bryce Canyon (don't miss it), then on to Capitol Reef and over to Moab to see Canyonlands, Dead Horse State Park and Arches then to Cortez and Mesa Verde and then I40 back east with a stop to see some things in Oklahoma City.

If you want to stay at the Rim, get your reservations early. It is about an hour drive from Williams. I have also read that some folks take the train from Williams. I typically check out campgrounds on http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ but read the reviews to take them with a grain of salt.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For any of you traveling through "no man's land in Texas," there is a good stopping place south of Amarillo -- Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Several campgrounds in the park with water and electric. Each also has a dump station. The canyon is certainly not as big as Grand Canyon, but it is the 2nd largest in the U.S.

There also is an outdoor ampitheatre where the outdoor drama/musical "Texas" is performed during the summer. A few million people have seen it there since is opened in 1966. It is spectacular.

And yes, maps in the mid-1800 listed the Texas Panhandle as "uninhabitable for humans."

Robert

2014 Reflection 337 (#238)
    F250 Lariat
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a very good stay at the Canyon Motel & RV Park in Williams just off the I40 but not far from down town, we had a great time the train up to Grand Canyon is a must and if you time it right take the old Steam train! good place to eat is Red Raven Restaurant in Williams'

You can stay over night in the hotel or log cabins on the south rim yes the drive is around a hour so may be to far for some.

Tony
    Tony & Hilary Self
    2014 Momentum 385TH #290
    2015 Ford F450 with B&W Companion ,Transfer Flow 57 G Midship and 40 G Toolbox tanks
    Extra load springs