Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Braking Question

Just finished the PDI on our new 384GK-R yesterday. Went very well with only a few small issues. However, as I hooked up to the unit and was pulling out, I always activate my trailer brakes manually to see if they are working. When I did so, I got very little braking action from the trailer. Idling ahead at slow speed on a level service, when I fully activate the trailer brakes, I can feel them engage, but the braking is so light, the only result is that it prevents any acceleration, but does not slow down. I know my new F350 is strong, but this just didn't feel right. I stopped and got a technician to see what he thought. He drove the rig at slow speed as I did and got the same result. He unplugged and reseated the umbilical from the trailer but no change. This is my first big rig so I don't have anything to compare to, but my Reflection 297RSTS Travel trailer would come to an immediate stop when the trailer brakes were manually activated. I have the 5th wheel prep package so the cord was plugged into the plug in the truck bed. I wish I'd thought to try plugging it into the receptacle in the rear bumper, but it had been a long day and we both were tired. My questions are: Is this normal trailer braking for a big rig? Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting to see if the problem is the truck or the trailer? Can the voltage be checked with a meter in the plug when the trailer brakes are manually activated? Any other ideas? I have to take it back in when a part (cracked lav basin) comes in so if I can't figure out, I'll let them look at it again then. Appreciate any ideas!
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check adjustmen of the brakes. Look for grease
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing would be to do a search on this forum for brake issues. You should find numerous entries on brake problems, number one being the grease issue. Even if there are no signs on the exterior of the wheels/drums they should be pulled and inspected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brand new brakes have a brake in period. You need to burnish your brakes. The information is in your owners manual. Light braking over several 100 miles helps to brake in the brakes. You can check the voltage at the plug. The lead for the brakes is at the 5:00 position and the ground is at the 7:00 position. If you have two axles, I believe you should be reading 3 amps at each wheel. You can also check the adjustment on your brakes. Last but not least, the dreaded grease brakes. The really only way to tell is by pulling the drum. Mine were greased with less the 900 miles on the trailer.
    2017 Solitude 375 RES
    2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 DWR
    Previous: 2015 Montana 3721RL, 2014 Cougar 327RES, 2014 Outback 298RE, 2012 Wildwood 24RB, and 2002 Coleman Popup

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you are evaluating the trailer brake performance, slip the transmission into neutral before applying the brakes. This will take the engine pull out of the equation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you tow your 297RSTS with the 2017 F-350 or with another truck?

At delivery of our brand new Reflection 337RLS 2 months ago I insisted that the dealer pull the brake drums and check the seals. Both passenger sides were contaminated due to leaking grease seals.

Even with repaired dry brakes I was not happy with brakes. I had disk brakes installed 2 weeks ago and the difference is night and day.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Did you tow your 297RSTS with the 2017 F-350 or with another truck?

At delivery of our brand new Reflection 337RLS 2 months ago I insisted that the dealer pull the brake drums and check the seals. Both passenger sides were contaminated due to leaking grease seals.

Even with repaired dry brakes I was not happy with brakes. I had disk brakes installed 2 weeks ago and the difference is night and day.
    What kind of cost to have the disk brakes installed? I'm thinking of doing that but know my mechanical limitations....infinite! Thanks!
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how the Ford is set up, but on my Silverado there is a gain adjustment for the trailer brakes. Check to see what the gain is set to. You will have to be hooked up to a trailer to do this. With my Silverado and travel trailer a gain of 8.5 seems to be the balance between truck and trailer brakes where the trailer is neither pulling the truck to a stop nor pushing the truck during a hard stop.

John

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdes View Post
    What kind of cost to have the disk brakes installed? I'm thinking of doing that but know my mechanical limitations....infinite! Thanks!
    Don - see this thread for costs associated with installing disc brakes.
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...436#post105436

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdes View Post
    $1420 for full kit for our 2017 Reflection 337RLS delivered from stopyourtrailer.com
    Bill at stopyourtrailer recommended an installer near us that installed the kit for $599 labor.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast