Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campfire cooking

As a former BSA leaders my husband and I have done lots of campfire cooking. If anyone is interested in learning how to cook with Dutch ovens and other cast iron cookwear the local Boy scout office usually has books on the subject. There are several recipes that I use for our camping trip that were learned from other scout leaders.

One of our favorite recipes is called Foil Dinners.

cut up pieces of potato, carrot, celery and onions.

Each person sets up their own dinner which includes :

1 large sheet of heavy duty foil
    1 frozen hamburger patty (has to be in the bottom)
    Then add potato, carrots, celery and onion mix to taste.
    Spices can include salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. chili powder.
    Sauces can include BBQ , Teriyaki, etc.

Once everything is on there carefully fold into a packet. I use an extra large pieces of foil and make sure that there is a double layer of foil. This gives strength to the packet and prevents it from tearing open and spilling its contents. You will need either briquettes or a fire that is down to glowing coals. ( In a pinch you could bake them in the oven, but I would put them in a pan to ensure that they don't leak )

Put the packets down in the bed of coals. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side, depending on how hot the coals are. If you have lots of people making these do them a few at a time. You will need long handled tongs to arrange them in the coals and to turn them over. Once done put them on thick paper plates to keep them from burning tables or tablecloths. Open the packet with care so they don't burn you. There will be a lot of steam from the food and juices. If the coals aren't hot enough (check the potato and meat for doneness) it make take longer.

Any left over veggies can be put into packets and cooked after everyone has made their. I then use those for future meals such as soups or stews.

And the best part...... the only dishes to wash is the cutting board and the forks.
    Last edited by Deb from Cali; 10-28-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an Eagle Scout, I've done that--and cooked in foil.

In our Reflection, we most often use the gas grill on a swing mount on our rear bumper. Or, I'll use the electric skillet outside. And we often cook in our crock pot. Seldom do we cook much inside.

The two microwaves are just used to heat up food.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 10 years as Scoutmaster. I learned a lot of interesting ways to cook. I think I can cook anything in my black pot that you can cook in a conventional oven
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I learned how to make this exact recipe in 1968 with BSA troop 230 in San Bernardino California. We called it camper's stew. We still make it to this day. Another meal we like to cook in foil is trout. Just remove the entrails and head. Rub with butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Double wrap in foil and place in the coals for about 12 minutes per side. Add some lemon juice end enjoy.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    As an Eagle Scout, I've done that--and cooked in foil.

In our Reflection, we most often use the gas grill on a swing mount on our rear bumper. Or, I'll use the electric skillet outside. And we often cook in our crock pot. Seldom do we cook much inside.

The two microwaves are just used to heat up food.
    My son is an Eagle. You have two microwaves in your rig???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great way to cook things outdoors. I don't know if they still have it in the Scout Handbook, but I remember doing this years ago.

We got one of those $79 Power Pressure Cookers at WalMart and use that a lot today. It works to make rice in about 10 minutes, stews and roasts and other slow-cooker items, and can pressure cook things in about 30 minutes.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    This is a great way to cook things outdoors. I don't know if they still have it in the Scout Handbook, but I remember doing this years ago.

We got one of those $79 Power Pressure Cookers at WalMart and use that a lot today. It works to make rice in about 10 minutes, stews and roasts and other slow-cooker items, and can pressure cook things in about 30 minutes.
    Oh I have two pressure cookers that go on almost every camping trip. I call them my forest microwave when we are drying camping.

When we had two boys and a pop-up trailer, I would precook and freeze our meals. The meals were packed in a special cooler with dry ice. That cooler was opened once a day to get the main meal out. Main meals consisted of spaghetti, stew, etc. When you have limited resources and feeding boys, why try to cook from scratch while camping. I refused to do all of that cooking and cleaning while on vacation.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an Eagle scout.... another cooking tip. Crack eggs into a plastic bag. squish them to stir. Put in ham and other omelet items. Leave out the tomatoes and cheese (add these after they have been cooked, otherwise the omelet is watery from cheese oils and tomatoes water). You may freeze them. Did this in the backpack and had them defrosted the next morning. Boil water in a pan and place bags in water. Hang the bag over the edge of the pan. Can cook multiple bags at the same time. The bags double as the dish, easy clean up.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am a long time scouter. 10 years as a kid and over 20 years as an adult scouter. I was Scoutmaster of Troop 89 for 10 years and 10+ years doing an Advisor position in SAR Post 178.
    I did Woodbadge with a fellow Scouter who wrote a book about camp cooking. The Original Dutch Oven Cookbook

I taught at a few Scoutmaster Workshops also. My specialty is backpacking and camping stoves. I have over a dozen different backpackable stoves including an official BSA alcohol stove.

An option for Tin Foil Dinner is to put in a pork chop. The secret is to don't let any of the moisture out and cook it extra long, so that you don't have to put it back on the fire.

When doing Troop 89; we would make homemade instant oatmeal. Way better then store-bought.

Great times, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021