Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie full timer & newbie to any forum ever

Hello, We are set to take delivery on our new 2017 solitude 384gk this coming Monday. We have a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 MC, Laramie to pull our new fifth wheel.
    We are excited to be starting this new journey, but not sure where to look for all of he things we need to learn. We would love to go to the rallies somewhere near California, Arizona, Oregon, Nevada, etc., so we can learn the ropes, and make new friends. Where is the Nor Cal rally in September, we have seen it mentioned, but not sure when and where it is actually being held? We don't feel secure enough to travel to rallies across the U.S. yet. So we would like to stay in the west coast near family for now. We don't know how to use a forum either, so please forgive us for any mistakes we might make here. We are jumping in and hope we can get some advice here. We are also not sure how to find the safest campgrounds, or plan our travel. Like I said we are just going to jump in and start driving, hoping to find a safe place to rest along the way. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You in advance, Gary & Sandie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and congratulations on your new camper. Lots of folks here ready to give you advice and benefit of their experience. Use the search function for specific questions or just read thru the subject lines to find interesting discussions. We use "RV Park Reviews" to find good campgrounds, also state parks and Corp of Engineer CG are always good choices.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Thank You for the kind words, & for the advice, I will look those up right now. Just learned how to set some of the settings here on the forum on our profile, still learning how to do the whole forum thing. Lol

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary and Sandi, welcome to the forum and to the RV lifestyle. Most RV parks are safe. In 7 years of full time RV'ing I have only had 2 bad experiences. One park we pulled in, looked around, and left. It was obviously not a good place for us. The units in there were all up on blocks and many had blue tarps over them. The other was in Las Vegas, a friend of ours had his motorcycle stolen. That leave the other 2555 nights we have stayed at many different places without any trouble. RV parks are not hot beds of crime.

You learn to plan pretty quickly. I use Microsoft Street and Trips software to plan on the computer ahead of time. I have a gps that I plug destinations in just to help me navigate through new places, gotta watch it though, it lies sometimes.

I use Woodalls.com/Good Sam.com to look up RV parks. I belong to Passport America, sometimes saves a few bucks when on the move. Reserve America does a good job of finding most state parks, and Recreation.Gov

As far as the forum goes, try to be helpful when you can, don't be hateful, use your own common sense when reading others posts. Everyone tries to be helpful, but they aren't always right.

Safe Travels

Dallas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Welcome to our group
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and Welcome! For me I hate driving through big cities, so if it's yellow on the map I try to go around it. You will still drive through some but we plan to drive through between 9:30 to 2:30 "daytime". Sunday morning is a great time to travel through them too.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

A few things to check out:
    For resources on choosing campgrounds, I use https://www.allstays.com/ and http://www.rvparkreviews.com/.
    The first gives you a great way to find campgrounds in areas you are interested in going. The second does a great job of consolidating user reviews so you can see what others think. When trip planning, I usually have both open, so I can flip back and forth as I check out possibilities.

About forums - you'll quickly get the basis of how to use them. The grandaddy is rv.net, so is a good second one to join. It is operated by the Camping World/Good Sam mega-empire, but is free and very low key about ads, and is a second great resource when you have questions.

Note that this forum is ad free, but to have full access to all of the features, the owners request a $15 annual fee to go toward operating costs. Anyone who is listed as a "site sponsor" feels the fee is worth it! Grand Design staff monitor the site, but they are not the "owners" or "moderators". But don't be surprised if one of them chimes in with information, or offers to help. Not the best way to request customer service, of course, but an appreciated backup to calling or e-mailing them.

Most forums allow you to "Subscribe" to chains of messages ("threads" or "subscriptions") that you are interested in following. You can optionally be alerted anytime someone posts a new comment about the given subject, or use that feature to create your own list of interesting topics, that you can then find your way back to if you want to re-read.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I find the "New Posts" button and "Mark Forums Read" button the most useful way to read posts on a daily basis.

The forum for all Grand Design campouts is: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...roup-Camp-Outs

The thread for the NorCal Rally is: http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...hru-Sept-17th)
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome!
    Dave & Becky
    Always camping with the K9s. The boys are grown and rarely join us anymore.
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS
    2012 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 6.7L PSD
    (now retired) Mildly massaged 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! My wife and I have been full time for two years now and have enjoyed every minute and and most of all all the great people we have met on the road. We have a solitude 375re and have had good luck with it (mostly). We had the kantleak water valve that leaked. We have stayed on the east coast between Maine and Florida mostly so when you get east of the Mississippi let me know and will be glad to help where and when ever I can. I also follow rv dreams and attended a rally for full timers last spring. If you want to check it out on line it's called rv dreams.com
    Enjoy and good luck, Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast