Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intermittent Problem

We went out for our maiden voyage last week and had an intermittent electrical problem. We have let our dealer know about this. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any ideas?

We have an intermittent electrical problem, observed with a clock radio plugged in the receptacle by the bed curbside and a coffeepot plugged in the under cabinet receptacle by the streetside counter. After 18 to 24 hrs, we noticed the clock radio had lost power, as had the coffeepot. Reset clocks. After a few hours, radio lost power again, coffeepot did not. Reset. Wait a couple hours, both lost power. Checked breakers - both plugs are on the same circuit, which is NOT the GFI circuit. Other items (radio, tv, microwave) were not affected. The pattern continued (every few hours) for the remainder of the time we were out. We will continue diagnosis (e.g., plug tester, volt ohm meter) our next trip out.

Is there a wiring diagram available?

On edit - Santa will be bringing us a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C

Thanks,

Kay and Dave

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Intermittent Problem

I had a circuit that did that in my Solitude. I noticed on the main panel where the fuses are there was a red light blinking on one of the fuses. It did not look bad but I replaced it just to see and it has worked fine since. Not sure if that is any help. But mine would do the same thing. It was lighting it would be bright and then go dim and then bright again. Not sure if you have the same problem but hope I was of a little help.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess would be a faulty 120V circuit breaker. Can you try plugging them into other outlets on the same circuit to see if you get the same result? Did the circuit breaker feel funny when you reset it?

Edit: I've got the same thinking with the surge protector though I'd go with the hard-wired version. I had a EMS-HW30C on the last camper and relied on the remote display to tell what the current draw was and that way, minimize any overload trips. Having said that, I haven't investigated where a hard-wired one would be easily located on the 337.

Dave

Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any update on your electrical issue?

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave - Thanks for asking. No ideas yet. We are not able to try to diagnose as the camper is in storage. I was hoping there might be some ideas. We might have a couple of other issues that mean a trip to the dealer for warranty work (100 miles each way) so if we do that will leave it for them to try to diagnose. It makes sense that either its a construction problem, such as a plug not correct in the wires or some type of infant mortality on a new component. Circuit breaker felt fine when we reset it. Didn't have enough time to try different plug on that circuit (since it was 2 to 4 hrs between failures).

Kay

2019 Solitude 310GK

cookchip

In the Reflection 337RLS the interior wires for some of the circuits in the large slide that holds the fridge, microwave, etc are made of interior style 120v wire, these wires are spliced into exterior style wires under the chassis (above the insulating mat on the underside of the trailer) so they can exit the chassis and make an exterior run underneath the extended slide. On one of the units we purchased, the wire splice was lying on the top of the insulation mat (not boxed and mounted to the frame) and some water pooled on the top of the insulation mat, when this small water puddle moved around on the insulation mat, it would hit the splice and cause an intermittent short on the circuit to the microwave. Look under the trailer where the 300v exterior slide wires go into the chassis, either look with a bore scope, or remove a couple of the screws holding the insulation on the chassis, see if your splice is lying on the mat, if so, box it and mount it on the frame.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick update. Thanks for all the suggestions. We also got a call from Grand Design this morning, and some more suggestions. What a great company!

We have a couple more basketball season tickets to use then will be heading out, weather cooperating, and will diagnose some more. I'll let everyone know what we find.

Kay

2019 Solitude 310GK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem must have been the campground, but it was strange that receptacles were the only things affected. None of the rvparkreviews reported power problems there. Strange.

After 7 nights and 4 different campgrounds we have not seen any problems.

We did get our EMS. Maybe Murphy's law

2019 Solitude 310GK