User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autolevel Learning (I guess)

We took our new Reflection out last week and it's the first time I've ever had/used autolevel. Our campsite was slightly sloped front to back, with back a little lower than front, but not drastically different. After parking and dropping front gear manually all the way with the pins, I raised the trailer off the hitch, then pulled the truck forward. Hit autolevel and let it do it's magic. I noticed that the rear gear extend quite a bit, the wheels lifted, and finally got an "out of stroke" error. So, I reconnected the truck, raised the front gear manually a few inches with the pins and did it all over again. It went better but still got an "out of stroke" error on the rear. So I repeated the process, raised the front gear even more with the pins and tried again. This time I got a "success" message and all was good.

What I learned, I guess, was that, even with autolevel, I have to be mindful of the slope of the parking spot and not manually lower the front gear all the way with the pins. Am I doing this right, or is there a better way to avoid "out of stroke" problems? I searched on this but couldn't find this specific question, so my apologies if it's out there somewhere.

Thanks
    Jim & Susan
    2017 GD Reflection 29RS
    2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4X4 6.7 Cummins
    1973 Cessna 172M N1074T (when we're not camping)
    2000 Harley Davidson FLHTCI (when we're not camping or flying) :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't encountered that problem. When I drop the front landing gear I put about 4 inches of plastic blocks under the legs. This allows for further extension of the legs during leveling. It also helps with some movement of the trailer. Some with more experience may have a better idea, but I think with what you described is that the front legs didn't have anymore length to go up to level.
    Arnold Warnes
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experienced the same sort of problem the first time out in our 303RLS as far as wheels lifted off the ground and error message. What I do now is extend the front landing gear about 3 or 4 inches before pulling the pins and lowering them the rest of the way to the blocks. That gives the auto level ample room to extend or retract the landing gear to level the coach without raising the wheels off of the ground. In some situations, the auto level can't lower the front of the RV enough to achieve level, so it has to raise the rear more resulting in lifting the wheels off the ground and creating a less than stable situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Dawgs View Post
    When I drop the front landing gear I put about 4 inches of plastic blocks under the legs.
    And that could be my problem. I put some 3/4 inch boards under each leg just to keep the pad off the ground, but probably should have used 3 or 4 inches of blocks under each leg to allow more movement with the leveling system. Duh! I guess even an old dog can learn new tricks! Thanks, Arnold!
    Jim & Susan
    2017 GD Reflection 29RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Budprint, I think your method would have worked, too. When I extended my front gear all the way to the ground the front had no room to retract and the rear had to do all the work (extending) and just ran out of play.

Those first few trips are real learning situations! Thanks.
    Jim & Susan
    2017 GD Reflection 29RS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told to extend the front jacks half way then lower the rest via to get off the truck. Dealer told me to not extend all the way doe to it being less stable. Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do keep some long 2x10's in my truck to manage any side to side elevation discrepancy in the site. I can stack the 2x10's as needed on the low side then move the low side trailer tires onto them. Once I do that and get the unit relatively close then I used 2x8 dunnage at each jack location stacked up as needed to minimize the chance for that dreaded "out of stroke" message. So far so good - I've become a pretty good judge of how much dunnage to place in each location depending on the site. Experience is the best teacher - be patient and keep using the system and you'll do fine. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Lippert Ground Control 3.0 on my 303. I was fortunate to have the dealer emphasize powered lowering of the front landing jacks 5-6 inches first, then pulling pins to manually lower inner tubes rest of way to ground, to avoid out of stroke there. (It also says something similar to this in GroundControl 3.0 Owner's manual, BTW.(And you can download this manual, and parts lists and drawings from Lippert site too, FYI.) It is now part of my unhitching "checklist". In my driveway parking area, I also have unlevel ground, and I built a 5 inch high big wood landing pad to support both wheels on one side, which worked fine, but then got an out-of-stroke on rear jacks upon first try at leveling as I had nothing under the one on low side. Now I have another little raised support on that side for that one jack.
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Norm, I think that was part of the training I missed. Now that I've done it though it sure makes sense. Next time should be much easier. At least I got good practice hitching and unhitching.

BTW, I just went out, lowered my front gear 6 inches, and marked them so I'll know how far to lower next time before dropping the pads. This weekend I'll also be cutting up a 4X4 to take with me as well. Hopefully no more OOS errors in my future, at least front to back.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having the same issues. Out of stroke and right side (door side) extending first and then drivers side. Totally different from directions. Not the first time experiencing this issue. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk