User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Rear Stablizer on 2015 Reflection 317RST Will Not Retract

Hi all ... I'm looking for a possible solution to a problem I experienced over the weekend. I bought this 5th wheel new 2 years ago last month. I've used it extensively and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I extended the rear stabilizers after my initial setup at my camping site. Three days later, packing up and getting ready to go home, I pressed the switch to Retract (located at the rear, driver's side of the RV) and only the stabilizer on the passenger side began to move up. The stabilizer on the driver's side didn't budge and no motor sound was emitting from the stabilizer itself. I went through the process of cleaning the connections to the switch on the underside and even swapped them to see what, if any difference, that made and there was none. I then attempted to raise the stabilizers by using the manual process with the crank handle but that did absolutely nothing as well. I was fortunate that I had not lowered these rear stabilizers very far down and instead had placed some "blocks" underneath, thus I was still able to safely travel home.

I've been looking for any form of technical manual or instruction that would help me troubleshoot the problem but to no avail. I even contacted Grand Design but have not heard back from them yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wwinden - there is only one motor that drives both stabilizers. They "auto adjust" from side to side by sliding in the mounting channel. If one was moving, the motor is working. Something must be mechanically jamming the leg that will not move . . . or the nut that travels the turning threaded rod has stripped or become disconnected from the leg. By comparing the operation of one leg to the other while someone activates the switch, you should be able to find the problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    wwinden - there is only one motor that drives both stabilizers. They "auto adjust" from side to side by sliding in the mounting channel. If one was moving, the motor is working. Something must be mechanically jamming the leg that will not move . . . or the nut that travels the turning threaded rod has stripped or become disconnected from the leg. By comparing the operation of one leg to the other while someone activates the switch, you should be able to find the problem.

Rob
    I thought the 2015 317RST had rear stabilizers like the 337 Rob. Ours are similar to the front stabilizers. I'm thinking a broken gear.

Obviously I could be wrong on this assumption.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I thought the 2015 317RST had rear stabilizers like the 337 Rob. Ours are similar to the front stabilizers. I'm thinking a broken gear.

Obviously I could be wrong on this assumption.
    Paul - I think you are right . . . wwinden - forget that earlier description (it refers to the smaller Reflections) .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the 317 has the same setup as the 337 ...pre GC 3.0 auto leveling. The rear jack drive will be the same as the front landing gear. Only one side is driven with the electric motor/gearbox driving the other side with a cross shaft. It sounds like the cross shaft isn't working...it will have a shear pin somewhere that probably has failed. GDRV Customer Support @ 574 825 9679 should be able to help and provide more info as to where everything is located behind the coroplast.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for such a quick response. I'll give GDRV Support a call and see where that takes me. ... Wes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Rear Stablizer on 2015 Reflection 317RST Will Not Retract

Well, I called Customer Support and was transferred to someone named "Dave". Got his voice mail and left him a message, explaining the situation and asking him to return my call.

After waiting a few days for a return call and not hearing back from him, I took it upon myself to investigate and sure enough, once I was able to peel back some of the coroplast I was able to see where the shear pin was missing right where the shaft was connected to the electric motor. Thus, any movement of the motor was not engaging the shaft. It appeared that there was also some slight damage to the motor casing itself where the pin apparently was rubbing and eventually broke through the casing. That's probably what caused the shear pin to break off. I was hoping to find a replacement shear pin designed specifically for this component but no such luck. So I went to a local hardware store and bought a bolt and self-locking nut and then re-connected the shaft to the motor. That fixed the problem for now. Will see how that works as I begin to employ the rear stabilizers on my future trip(s).

Thanks again for the info. Very much appreciated.

Wes