Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Knuckle Towing Adventure - Need Advice to calm trailer down

We have a 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH and just towed it from Southern California to Utah and back.

We came out of Airstream and I wasn't expecting as smooth of a ride, but at times it felt downright dangerous.

Driving 55-63 MPH with some good wind at times and being passed by a lot tractor trailers we got pushed around a lot. Not sure I'd call it sway, but got pushed from side to side. Not a fishtail feeling, but more of a good old nudge from the wind gusts.

Here are our specs:

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150 with Ecoboost Engine (power wasn't an issue)
    Loaded Vehicle weigh by itself = 6320 lbs
    Loaded Trailer weight by itself = 7,060 lbs (only about 1/4 of fresh water. Otherwise, tanks were empty.)
    Blue Ox Weight Distribution system with three chain links showing. --- http://blueox.com/trailertowing/swaypro/

Other specs from Cat Scale

With Trailer:
    Steer Axle 2900 lb
    Drive Axle 4020 lb
    Trailer Axle 6460
    Total Axle 13,380

Truck only
    Steer Axle 3240 lb
    Drive Axle 3080 lb
    Total Axle 6320 lb

Truck Specs:
    GVWR = 7100 lb

Anyone here with more experience have any suggestions to help us feel and be safer? Don't think I'd do another trip unless we can get this resolved. Trailer looked and truck looked level. Although according to Cat scale specs rear axle of truck had 1000 more pounds than front. Is that the issue?

Only other things we didn't try:

- Traveling with more water
    - Adjusting tire pressure in trailer and truck

Many thanks in advance for you experts out there.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1st experience towing in the mid 90's is exactly what you describe. I hated towing and we ended up seasonaling the camper so i could avoid towing,

I towed my last travel trailer with a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder, which is far less of a good tow vehicle than your f150, but I went with a Hensley Hitch, one of the best at preventing sway. Towed solid as a rock. It was barely affected by passing vehicles even 18 wheelers. Some suggestions I've heard, increase tongue weight, although it looks like you are around 13% of trailer weight which is not bad. Switching to light truck tires on a 1/2 ton is something I've heard people swear by a lot too.

John
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your setup sounds fine. I know the Blue Ox system is high quality but I am unfamiliar with it so I don't know whether the three links showing is appropriate. Our last camper was a TT using a Equalizer system and I can tell you that if you are not having to use your tongue jack or cheater bar to set your chains/bars then it may need adjustment. Tire pressure is critical as your tow vehicle and trailer tires should all be at the cold pressures listed on your placards. One thing you mentioned is being passed by tractor trailers. You will feel that draw toward the other rig when being passed. I got used to it and learned to compensate accordingly. Hopefully some of the others will have some additional insight for you. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At 13.3% tongue weight, that doesn't appear to be an issue. I believe John is correct in suggesting you take a look at the truck tires. If you have P-metric tires on that F150, they can really affect the stability of the truck/trailer combination while towing. You might consider switching out to a truck tire if that is the case.

Jim

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar set up to you before changing trailers and trucks. I did switch to an "E" rated tire with max pressure of 80 psi, and install airbags, which helped quite a bit. We took a 4,500 mile trip last summer to the Midwest and experienced some high winds. Made it through it, but it was not particularly fun. Now with a 3/4 ton diesel with a longer bed, and a heavier trailer, the push/pull affect has been diminished greatly. Good luck!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truck tire discussion is interesting. I'm not familiar with all the options. I checked and I have Bridgestone P275/55R20 111S M+S Tires. Is there something more ideal? Thank you for the responses so far. Seems like we've narrowed it down to truck tires, air bags, and equalizer bars.

@RVRunners I am definitely having to use my trailer jack to significantly lift up the rear of the truck to relieve the tension of my Blue OX equalizer bars in order to get them on.

Keep the input coming...many thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzinsd View Post
    The truck tire discussion is interesting. I'm not familiar with all the options. I checked and I have Bridgestone P275/55R20 111S M+S Tires. Is there something more ideal? Thank you for the responses so far. Seems like we've narrowed it down to truck tires, air bags, and equalizer bars.

@RVRunners I am definitely having to use my trailer jack to significantly lift up the rear of the truck to relieve the tension of my Blue OX equalizer bars in order to get them on.

Keep the input coming...many thanks
    I tried to locate your exact tire, but gave up. Are they "E" rated, or are they "D"? If the max psi is 65, they are "D", if the max psi is "80" they are "E". I know the low profile 20's I had originally on my F150 Ecoboost was a "D" rated tire, and switching to "E" helped me quite a bit. They were pricey though for my size rim, with few options. Ended up with Toyo Open Country, and really liked them.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update....My tire pressure was at the recommended cold temp of 35 PSI, but the max is 44. What do other do? Run at Max?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jzinsd - I have a similar tow vehicle to yours, except with the heavy payload option. This includes LT245/75R17 tires and an additional leaf spring in the rear (plus some other stuff) bringing my GVWR to 8200 lbs. I am towing a 10,000 lb 5th wheel, so no direct comparison here, but I have no sway and feel only a negligible push when passed by a transport. How much of this is the geometry of the 5th wheel attachment and how much is the heavier suspension and LT tires . . . . . . hard to say. It would probably be easy to upgrade to the factory heavy payload rear springs if you go to LT tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzinsd View Post
    Update....My tire pressure was at the recommended cold temp of 35 PSI, but the max is 44. What do other do? Run at Max?
    OEM LT245/75R17 are E rated 80 psi tires. Door label spec is 55 psi front and 60 psi rear. I run 5 over both those numbers cold when towing.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast