User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Tigerbug

How do you level your Reflection

To all Reflection Owners

Now that I have fully confirmed the Reflection 337RLS does not come with the 6pt Auto Leveling System which we really wanted, I now need to better understand what the process is for properly leveling this trailer.

Could anyone who owns this unit walk me through the 4pt system that this trailer does come with for leveling. I'm trying to better understand both front to back and side to side leveling. My understanding is that the two front and rear jacks are powered (no need to crank) but they do not self level. Is this correct?

For side to side leveling of this trailer do you have to work with leveling blocks under the trailer wheels to get the trailer level? If so this seems to me to be a hassle to lay down blocks and drive on them only to find you are not level and must back up to either add or remove blocks to change the height of one side. Am I over thinking this??

Does this trailer have a bubble level somewhere that you need to continue to check each time you make a change on any of the 4pts or under the tires?

I admit I am a newb, never having owned nor overnighted in a 5th wheel. I am confident in using one but just want to fully understand the process better. I would love for someone to walk me through the steps you take once you arrive to your camping spot. Starting at that point could you walk me through the steps you take to get it level, unhooked, and a cold beer in your hand all with this specific 4pt system included in the Reflection line.

I am sure for those who already own a 5th wheel you might be chuckling a bit right now, but I have lived my life knowing that a question unasked is a question unanswered. ;D Your replies will help us make the final decision we are so close to making on our 5th wheel.

Thanks so much, Tigerbug

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How do you level your Reflection

OK Tigerbug...I'll share my method.

I back/pull into the site situating the camper where I want it. I don't have any bubble level installed on the camper so I use a 2' level on the rear bumper to check levelness side to side. With experience you can tell the amount of lego blocks or boards you may require to bring it to level. If too much, I try to reposition to a flatter area of the site. If its only one lego block required or even two, I position them in front (or behind, your choice) and move the camper onto them. I also have 2 lengths of 2x6 about 6' long that I use to level but they require you to move the camper more distance to position on top of them. As a note, you may intentionally have the street side higher than level as the weight of that slide will change the camper's levelness when fully extended. I need to figure this out yet for this 5vr.

At this point you're ready to uncouple. I install locking chocks between the tires, then drop the front landing gear using some 4x4 blocks to reduce the amount they're extended (this reduces camper movement). Uncouple raising the front gear, move the truck then adjust the levelness front to back by extending/retracting the front landing gear. I use the level on the steps or just inside the door to check. Once level front to back, drop the rear landing gear (they're directly behind the rearmost axle on the 337) using 4x4 again to reduce extension...bring them down until they're loaded which you can hear by the sound of the gear drive. I really like the set up with the rear landing gear on the 337 as their location takes movement out of the camper's suspension making it feel more solid when set-up.

As a note...you have to set the feet on each set landing gear to touch down onto the blocks at the same time. The snap pins allow them to be set different on each side and I also carry a couple of 1/2" thick boards should I need something less than one pin position.

That's it...all done. Does this help?

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tigerbug -

Although we have not yet gone out with our Reflection, here is the method we used with our previous 5er (no auto level).

After getting into our site, we would look around to see that the slides/awning had enough room, that the door was in a good spot, and sometimes move a bit to get more level. We put aftermarket bubble levels on the rig - one in the middle of the back and one on the side by the front landing gear. By looking at the bubble level we could tell how far off and would either use a 2x10 or smaller plastic leveler, driving forward or reverse (depending on where we wanted to end up) onto the boards, then check again if level. Then we would take the green garden stake cut to slide depth and double check there was room for slides. Finally, chock the wheels, plug in power, drop front landing legs, unhitch.

After that the DH would setup outside - water, sewer, stabilizers, cable, chairs, dog on her cable while I would setup inside - set clocks, turn on fridge, extend slides (coordinating with DH), unstrap chairs, check microwave tray, setup coffeepot, hang towels, fill dog water bowl, get out indoor/outdoor thermometer. The first night there is a bit more unpacking, so it takes maybe 20 to 30 minutes; when just traveling the whole setup takes maybe 15 minutes until beer in hand. This is pretty much an average after 36000 miles in our previous unit. Of course when someone comes to visit it takes longer.

That said, with the autolevel it probably is even easier. You are probably overthinking it. It depends on where you camp, we have found that we don't have to level with boards more often than not. Hopefully someone with the 4pt system will reply.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be our first 5th wheel too. So I read this wanting to learn all I can. Do I understand this right, the front and rear stabilizers are used to level front to back for (soon to be) our Reflection ? Side by side is the same as always.
    With our TT the stabilizers were just that, to stabilize and not for leveling because of stress to the frame.
    I'll need to get this right because there will likely be an occasion or 2 I take it out without DH in the future. I'll need to learn to hitch it up alone as well but that'll be another thread lol.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote author=WhittleBurner link=topic=172.msg925#msg925 date=1386190806]
    Do I understand this right, the front and rear stabilizers are used to level front to back for (soon to be) our Reflection ? Side by side is the same as always.
    With our TT the stabilizers were just that, to stabilize and not for leveling because of stress to the frame.
    [/quote]

Think of the front landing gear on the 5vr the same as the tongue jack on the TT...you it for hitching/unhitching and setting the level front to back. The rear stabilizers are exactly just that...to stabilize. The rear stabilizers on the 303 are not the same as on the 337. The ones on the 303 will probably be very much like your TT.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dave. Leveling will be pretty much a non issue for either of us
    If I remember right the rear stabs in the 303 are powered not crank down like the TT.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that the electric rear stabs on the 303 use a single motor and a sliding center pivot. The center pivot will slide towards the low side such that both feet will touch down and load the same without adjusting the blocking. I'd still use some blocks to minimize the extension of the stabs which will improve stability when set-up.

Dave