User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I'm a year behind you, is there any update on how it went back together? Was it easy to make it look as good as new? FYI-- I want to remove my shades completely and replace with wood blinds. Don't know yet if I can really tackle the job...

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it went back together very good. However, if you press on the inside edge of the side frame (while adjusting the shade), you can pull the piece off the side a little. Screws would prevent this, but they would show. You could also glue the face plate to the side, but they you would not be able to ever get the assembly off without messing it up. Not sure if they have this, but if you use coated nails, they would hold much better. If you are careful and not bang the side piece, it will look great for a long time. The whole process is not that bad, especially if you have a brad nailer. I think you could mount any kind of shade to the top frame.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good info, it's scary to start the breakdown, but I'll have to pick the least conspicuous one and go for it. I wouldn't glue it back tho, there's always a chance of changes in the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, I noticed in one of your earlier posts regarding the little clear-plastic brackets, after you took the whole valance down, you found the little spring-tabs were facing the "front" and still not all that easy to access. So.... since I have 7 windows to do.... I decided to try harder to remove the roller shade without taking down the valance. So far I've only done one of the smaller shades, but it did work! I tried several tools, starting with a flat screwdriver. But the one that worked best was a small nail-puller thing I picked up at Lowe's. I was also fairly careful to not pry it too hard, as the front section has the cloth inset and probably I could damage stuff pretty easy. But anyway, I was able on the small one to push against the spring, keep on jiggling and wiggling the shade until that end came loose and repeat on the opposite side. Now I'm hoping maybe the new blinds can go up in a similar reverse manner.
    Mainly I've been looking at too large of a job with the side walls of that valance, and I found one of mine was already busted, as the board you nail into is just chip-board. Agh! I guess I'm looking for shortcuts too, and maybe even use some residential blinds installer people. And I did find the ones in the bedroom and hall to be much easier, but still there's 11-12 windows in the Solitude, I need to spend more time camping!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got the shade down without taking off the frame. It is quite a design that borders on not-so-good! I can't say that I could design a better one, but someone should be able to.
    Gary

2017 Solitude 374TH-R
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually
    2010 Honda NT700V
    2014 Sherco

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very late to the party but this info is what I think I will need. My United shade slow up roller shade is broken, the one over the couch. I may try to work on it but mostly likely replace it.
    What are some options some here have taken to replace these?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody replace their roll up shades lately?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contacted the supplier and tried what they suggested, but the shade just falls down. So they asked if I want a quote for a new one, lol. Yeah, sell me another one just like it...
    Aren't these supposed to be repairable?
    Dan and Rita

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12