Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Travel with refridgerator running

I have a new Imagine 2150. I noticed the manual says to turn off the propane when traveling. If I follow those instructions, I can't keep my food cold. Does everyone just ignore the manual? Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup! .......
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have my Reflection yet but in my current camper I leave the propane/fridge on while traveling. Just about everybody I know does the same......
    Erick & Cyndi Prescott Valley Az. Unless otherwise indicated, Erick is posting...
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW 4WD
    2023 Solitude 310GK, "Pearl"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes we run ours on the road as well.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the prompt response guys Camping1 ( Don )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have run ours in two previous trailers with no issues leaving propane on. I do not know if I would run the gas furnace going down the road...of course we do not camp when it is that cold outside that we would worry about pipes freezing while going down the road.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While everyone does it (including me) it is technically not safe. In most places it is illegal to have any open flame while traveling. Elevated risk of fire at a was at a gas station. Not to mention if you happen to get into a wreck and the LP is ignited.

I will mention that while traveling keep close eye on bridge and especially tunnels. On the East Coast going up and down 95 especially, folks have been pulled over going though Maryland. I have heard of folks being asked to verify at the toll booths to verify the tanks are off on RV's. See more here on Maryland regulations if you happen to venture that way - http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/propane.html

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpareTire View Post
    While everyone does it (including me) it is technically not safe. In most places it is illegal to have any open flame while traveling. Elevated risk of fire at a was at a gas station. Not to mention if you happen to get into a wreck and the LP is ignited.

I will mention that while traveling keep close eye on bridge and especially tunnels. On the East Coast going up and down 95 especially, folks have been pulled over going though Maryland. I have heard of folks being asked to verify at the toll booths to verify the tanks are off on RV's. See more here on Maryland regulations if you happen to venture that way - http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/propane.html
    While I know a lot of tunnels don't allow propane appliance to be on when going through the tunnel, I'm not aware of anything laws prohibiting the use on open roads, such as refrigerators.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago, I posted the thread below related to food safety while towing. Based on my experiments, the prevention of a food borne illness while towing long distances in hot weather outweighs the risk of towing with the refrigerator running. it is also interesting to note that when our truck and trailer burned last August, we were towing with the refrigerator running on propane. But the propane tanks and lines were never compromised. You can see in the photo below that the fire was so intense that it melted the interior of the propane door, but the tank was still unaffected. The first thing the fire department did was to spray down the tanks and toss them on the side of the road.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...ht=thermometer

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    While I know a lot of tunnels don't allow propane appliance to be on when going through the tunnel, I'm not aware of anything laws prohibiting the use on open roads, such as refrigerators.
    Full disclosure I am not in law enforcement so I stand to be corrected...

However, it is my understanding that this can fall under careless driving. For example if you went into a gas station and the spark for whatever reason was able to ignite the fuel pumps. Or if you got into a accident and propane caused a fire from a rupture.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast