User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Tigerbug

F350 Tire Size??

We are ordering our F350, Diesel, SRW, 4x4 to pull a Solitude 305RE. One Ford dealer says get the biggest tires you can (he recommended 20" wheels & 20" Tires). A second Ford dealers says to stay with the 18" wheels and tires.

They seem to differ on whether it is more important for heavy towing to have larger tire circumference which would mean a smaller height from the rim to the tread or a smaller circumference but taller height from rim to tread.

Would appreciate anyone's knowleage especially anyone with an F350, SRW, 4x4.

Also if you have a 4x4 truck are you running the standard tire, regardless of size, or the 4x4 tread?

Thanks, Tigerbug

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F350 Tire Size??

The factory 18's will be LT275/70R18 E - diameter 33.25", load rating 3630 lbs, replacement cost $260.
    The optional 20's will be LT275/65R20 E - diameter 34.1", load rating 3740 lbs, replacement cost $338.
    I've used Michelin LTX M/S2 specs and pricing from Tire Rack. Other than increasing the load rating by 110 lbs per tire I don't see anything than justifies the additional price...the slightly larger diameter is the same as reducing axle ratio and a negative.

I'm assuming that you're ordering a F350 with the 11500 lb GVWR. I'm not sure what the rear axle weight rating would be on that particular truck and what the tire rating would be relative to it.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Tigerbug

Happy Camper:

Yes I am ordering the 11500 GVWR. I did not consider that the larger wheel/tire would reduce the axel ratio. Very helpful. My gut was telling me to stay with the 18" Wheels/Tires.

Appreciate your reply.

Tigerbug

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a new F250 a couple of months ago--had a choice of 2 identical trucks except 1 had the 20 inch tires. I got the one with 18 inch michelins which I would have paid extra for, but I saved $1000 (for the tires and wheels).

I have been driving pickups for 51 years and Michelins are my favorite tire.

Robert
    Robert & Sheila, Amarillo, TX
    2013 F250 short bed crew cab, diesel, 4X4, Firestone air bags
    2014 Reflection 337, Michelin XPS Ribs, Anderson Ultimate Fifth wheel hitch

Tigerbug

Agree Michelins are excellent tires. Looking back it seems that is the brand I have put on most of our cars over the years. Can't say I ever had any problem with them.

Tigerbug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2012 F350 SWR with the 18" wheels and Continental tires. Load range is 'E' with a max load (as stated on the tire) of 3415 lbs. Maybe the Michlens have a little higher max load but after doing the math, the loads I carry with the 369rl are well within the limits at 3415. The Ford did squat a little more than I liked, so I installed a set of Timbrens. A good solution to the problem for much less $$ than bags. Only disadvantage of the Timbrens is a harsher ride on bumps when truck is un-loaded. When loaded, they're as smooth as bags IMO. ;D
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Timbrens should not make your F350 ride harsh when unloaded. I have them on an F250 and when unloaded there is at least an 1 1/2 inch clearance before the Timbrens will touch the bottom bracket. The bed has to drop another 2 inches before they provide much resistance. I think both F250 and F350 rides are harsh when unloaded, but I just traded in an F150 last Sept. that had a much better ride, but it would not haul much or tow any Grand Design trailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cgood. The unloaded truck rides normally on smooth roads but if I hit a bump (say the size of a speed bump) and the axel comes in contact with the Timbrens, I can definitely feel it. Not a bad thing. Was just pointing out what my experience with the Timbrens was.

Happy Trails ;D
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The speed bumps are a pain. The Timbrens did not do what I needed. The bed drops too much when I hook up--at least 4 inches. I have not taken them off yet; was planning to and then get Firestone air bags. But I am trying something else first--Torque Lift Stable Loads. I installed them a couple of days ago. Two on each rear spring, go between the main spring and the lower overload spring. When engaged they almost remove the distance between these 2 spring parts so as soon as you apply a load the entire spring comes into play. Have not driven the truck since but they would make the ride harsh so they can be disengaged with a ratchet wrench "easily".