User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Midwestgirl

2014 Reflection 303RLS

We traded in our 90 day old Crusader on a 2014 Reflection. Took delivery about two weeks back. After spending 10 days in it we headed for home, MinneSNOWta, towing from Laughlin, Nevada.
    Unfortunately I got caught in a major storm over the weekend and drove 7 hours covering 100 miles and nearly lost our life in that storm. To make a LONG story short I had NO choice but to cross a long bridge under construction, single lane and the conditions were horrible. I'm on the bridge towing our 33 foot Reflection and see a semi coming head on and 2 more following him. Making a split second decision, jump out...or back up and save my husband or die trying. Slowly I inched back...the lane was walled in by cement blocks that separated us and the river. That Reflection cooperated perfectly under dire winter conditions...wind, sleet and now with POOR visibility. No sooner than I got off that bridge and the first semi driver passed me on the right, while making the sign of the cross and the other 2 drivers took the left side and almost tipped their rigs trying to miss us. I felt the pressure of those rigs against my chest. I think they missed us with maybe 10 inches to spare between them and us. A combination of fast thinking, not bailing out....and frantic thoughts for God to show mercy...we survived. Our 2005 Chevy Silverado, 8.1 liter K-2500 HD towed the Reflection through the worst driving conditions imaginable. I couldn't turn around and I couldn't stop....7 hours to travel 100 miles. Cars and trucks in the ditches all around us. I couldn't even stop to help them. Anyway...never again will I call ahead and ask weather conditions at a motel! I was told it was safe and 20 minutes into our travels that day I was told the storm was going to miss that area. (My IPAD weather channel wasn't working) I don't recommend towing anything under those conditions OR venturing out at all. But we made it out alive. The Reflection didn't budge in that wind, held steady and cooperated with our truck. Thank you Grand Design....thank you my Creator for another chance at life. by the way...I do all the driving as my husband is somewhat disabled. I'm 60 and he's 71.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2014 Reflection 303RLS

That really sounds like a scary trip, glad you all made it home safely. I have a Solitude and I got caught in the snow on my first trip home last March. It was kind of scary but my truck and trailer handled very well for the weather conditions, but I did not have the incident with the semi's thank goodness. It sounds like you really kept a level head and that is probably what kept you safe. I really try to avoid winter driving if possible, I just stay at the campground till the weather clears. The weather report is very seldom correct. Have a great holiday.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Midwestgirl

Thanks dchrist1733; we aren't quite home yet! Spending tonight in Wichita and hoping to be home by Wednesday afternoon.
    Watching the weather and road conditions closely.
    While most are leaving/left the cold if they can we are heading north to Minnesota.
    Plans changed and we have to get home.
    We left home 3 months ago.

And yes, it was scary. Feeling grateful for life and looking forward to pulling in our driveway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Midwestgirl...You've had quite a trip! Have you made it to your stop for the night yet?
    If not, keep driving safe and let us know when you've make it in..

You and your hubby are in my thoughts and prayers,
    Renee
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Midwestgirl

Home sweet home!
    Thank you ladies!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you're home safe! Hope you get to have a restful Holiday season
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see you are home safely and your Reflection is parked safely in your driveway. Have a great holiday.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has the color come back into your knuckles yet?, Wow that was quite the ride. Glad you made it safely.
    Enjoy your new reflection.
    Hopefully in about 2 weeks or so ours will be in the driveway too
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

SonnysRV

Scary story! Glad everything worked out fine. BTW Nice rig!