User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schwintech Slide Failing and More Problems on Reflection 27RL...Feeling Frustrated

Has anyone had a problem with their Schwintek slide not working well, thats the kind with the two rails mounted on each side of the slide? We've had our rig for 2.5 years and on our last trip our street side slide started acting funny, wouldn't go all the way out, had to do the "override" mode to get the slide to come back in. We noticed as the slide comes in, one end starts to slow down and then catches up again as the slide comes in the rest of the way. We tried the slide "realign" process; 10 times halfway out/back in and then all the way out. Now it sounds like it may be starting to skip gears as it moves in/out with intermittent loud noises. We've been told it may need a new controller or a new motor. I have not talked to Lippert directly about our newest problem. I was told by one repair service that Schwintek slides have been problematic....They also said Lippert/Schwintek have redesigned the slide because of problems like this, so they can no longer skip gears or misalign. I believe they have switched to floating side rails instead of being screwed onto the side of the slide.

We've got an appt in early May to get it repaired, but it's frustrating to say the least. After having the entire roof replaced twice, refrigerator replaced, hot water heater replaced, Kant Leak water panel replaced twice, recliners re-attached to the floor, gas regulator replaced, brake shoe came apart, curb side wire harness broke underneath, extend/retract switch broke, I feel like we may have a lemon. I know Grand Design is at the mercy of the quality of their vendors who supply the components, but I'm almost to the point of trading it in for something new.....In Grand Design's defense, I have to say that G.D. and their vendors have been very good about covering almost all of those repairs. I know RVs aren't built as well as a house and they take a lot of abuse bouncing down the highway; maybe I just needed to vent to someone.....

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Paul
    Paul & Kris - West Michigan
    2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax ("TheBeast")
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
    Pullrite Superglide

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schwintek is still built the same way.

Another brand, Power Gear, uses a floating gear set.

Sorry to hear of your issues. It sounds as though Grand Design is working to fix everything for you.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had issues exactly as you describe. I found the solution is a combination of proper operation, maintenance and voltage. Make sure your battery is FULLY charged and you are plugged into shore power. Make sure you hold the in/out button down when bringing slide in or out until the motors stop making noise (however long that takes) and lube the slide seals, couplers and gibs with the proper lubricant. Doing these things worked for us especially the seal lube. I don't recall the name of the lube for the couplers and gibs (I'd go look for you but I'm not at home) but it's a CRC product and you can find it on Lippert utube videos. On rare occasions reported here the issue was the motor(s).

Seal lube: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...reatment/18633

Spray liberally on all the seals and then run the slides in and out a few time. Only takes a few minutes. Hope this helps. YMMV.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schwintek slide on my 2019 230RL had the same issue. Would not open and was completely out of sync. Having the slide replaced with an upgraded system. Apparently enough problems to have a new rail system design to replace existing.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbuck View Post
    Schwintek slide on my 2019 230RL had the same issue. Would not open and was completely out of sync. Having the slide replaced with an upgraded system. Apparently enough problems to have a new rail system design to replace existing.
    Do tell?? I haven't heard of anything new out of Lippert for the Schwintek in-walls beyond the variations that have been out for several years. Just had ours on the bedroom slideout replaced as it wasn't right after the original was pulled to seal a leak.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early May?

I still have a reservation for Christmas break. Looking at next year, by May I hope to be 2 or 3 trips into the season.

May is like 6 months away. That would be totally unacceptable for me.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
    Early May?

I still have a reservation for Christmas break. Looking at next year, by May I hope to be 2 or 3 trips into the season.

May is like 6 months away. That would be totally unacceptable for me.
    This thread was posted in April 2017 so that appointment wasn't too far off. Today it would be more appropriate with the uptick in the RV world. It does help if people would come back and post the solutions to their problems but I feel the OP is long gone.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    This thread was posted in April 2017 so that appointment wasn't too far off. Today it would be more appropriate with the uptick in the RV world. It does help if people would come back and post the solutions to their problems but I feel the OP is long gone.
    I agree. I wish they would post their solution. I just opened my kitchen slide for the first time after winter storage and it stopped a foot from fully open. Found a piece of plastic from the 'shoe' guide had broken off near the motor. At least now if opens and closes, but nearing the end of the stroke it makes a god awful noise. Got a call in to the dealer to see what they say.
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nisbitch View Post
    I agree. I wish they would post their solution. I just opened my kitchen slide for the first time after winter storage and it stopped a foot from fully open. Found a piece of plastic from the 'shoe' guide had broken off near the motor. At least now if opens and closes, but nearing the end of the stroke it makes a god awful noise. Got a call in to the dealer to see what they say.
    I noticed the slide on my trailer was getting a bit wonky opening and especially closing when I was getting ready to head south in February. It stuck open after my first and second stops. I found temporary solution that I'm not sure to what effect in doing a master reset of the controller. I tried running it in and out to try to sync the motors. That worked to some extent to make them run evenly but like you the strain and moan of the movement was troubling. Back at home Monday morning I got the can of CRC Power Lube and sprayed the guides and rollers inside and out as best I could. I have since run the slide in and out about 6 times with much better results. It is smoother and much more quiet as well as both sides moving in unison.
    https://www.crcindustries.com/produc...-11-wt-oz.html
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.