Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furnace Backfire

Just returned from a 3 night "shakedown trip" with our new Imagine 2600RB. Two mornings were cold enough to fire up the furnace. First morning everything worked great. The next morning I jumped out of bed, turned on the furnace and got back in bed to allow it to warm up the trailer. Shortly thereafter we heard a loud noise as if someone had hit the side of the trailer. I jumped up and looked out all the windows and everything was quiet. A few minutes later it happened again. Opened the door and looked outside. Nothing. Then while standing in the kitchen it happened again. Much louder in this area. Figured it was something with the furnace. Went outside to look at intake and exhaust ports of the furnace. Saw nothing out of the ordinary. Shut off furnace. There was a strong wind, about 30 MPH, blowing directly across the exhaust and intake for the furnace. I'm convinced this was the culprit. Trailer going in the shop on Monday to be checked out. Has anyone heard of or experienced what I believe to be a furnace backfire? I'll let you know what the dealer says.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last trailer did that a few times on the water heater. It was the gap setting on the igniter not giving a good spark until it finally did ignite in a big way which blew itself out then it would try again. You might check to see if maybe your furnace is doing the same thing.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another element to consider, is altitude. I see you list your location as "Denver suburbs." What altitude were you camping?

I ask, as others have noted difficulties getting or keeping some furnaces lit while at altitude. Now, I don't recall hearing about backfires in those threads, but something to consider when coupled with Jim's thoughts about the gap setting on the igniter.

Good luck, keep up posted on what you find.

Tom
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
    Another element to consider, is altitude. I see you list your location as "Denver suburbs." What altitude were you camping?

I ask, as others have noted difficulties getting or keeping some furnaces lit while at altitude. Now, I don't recall hearing about backfires in those threads, but something to consider when coupled with Jim's thoughts about the gap setting on the igniter.

Good luck, keep up posted on what you find.

Tom
    We were in western Kansas, 2800' elevation. The furnace worked perfectly the morning prior. I'm thinking wind. We'll see.....

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could maybe make a tiny wind break at the inlet just to keep the wind from blowing in if you frequent windy areas and confirm that is indeed the issue. Interesting. I'd be grateful if you update should you narrow the cause down

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just had a similar noise this weekend. Did the dealer ever diagnose the problem?