User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way To Secure a TRC Portable Surge Guard Device

Not sure if Mods/DIY or here was better place for this, opted for here... In threads under Electrical groups, have seen some express concern about security of these items (even though few, or none, actually reported a theft.)

I bought a portable TRC Surge Guard electrical protection unit (from TechnoRV), and have been trying to figure out a way to secure it, since it costs a nice chunk of change. I saw the box lock that wraps around end and your RV power cord that TRC also sells, but with the unscrewable power cord on my 303, I figured there was chance that someone could take both my power cord and the TRC unit if they wanted to without much effort...and that would have been worse than just losing the Surge Guard.

I had seen a comment on Amazon listing for the TRC that someone had crimped on a fitting of some sort around the short piece of cord on the TRC unit, and attached a locking cable to that. I did not feel like going that route, but came across a possible alternative solution while browsing cable locks. It was a Master Lock 8417D Python Adjustable Locking Cable, 6-Foot X 3/16-Inch Diameter I went for this cable lock since the relatively small diameter wire rope would be able to be pulled to a tight enough radius loop around the section of cable on the TRC unit.

Tried it out in driveway as test today, and think it will work... provided there is something within cable range to lock it to, hah. Two pix attached.

I ran the free end of the Python cable through a closed loop of a separate 15-foot jacketed wire rope cable, then pulled it tight so loop would not fit over end of receptacle plug end. Theory is that then I can take other end of the 15-ft cable and wrap it around tree, picnic table leg, or like to secure it. We'll see... seems that trees near power stands are seldom seen in some of the more crowded campgrounds, or those out west.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRC Cable Lock overview.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	7971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRC Cable Lock closeup.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	7972

Norm
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted earlier on a different thread . . .

"We bought our Surge Protector while travelling . . .
    We also bought the Surgeguard plastic box to "lock" the unit to the end of our power cord.
    In hindsight, this was probably a waste of money . . . but again, the only option at the time.

After getting home, I had my local marine rigger fashion me a stainless cable to secure the unit to the post.
    It has a short loop for small posts and a longer one for larger posts. Cost me $5."

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0421.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Posted earlier on a different thread . . .

"We bought our Surge Protector while travelling . . .
    We also bought the Surgeguard plastic box to "lock" the unit to the end of our power cord.
    In hindsight, this was probably a waste of money . . . but again, the only option at the time.

After getting home, I had my local marine rigger fashion me a stainless cable to secure the unit to the post.
    It has a short loop for small posts and a longer one for larger posts. Cost me $5."

Rob
    Well, that is lighter, and more elegant... and cheaper. Lol. Maybe not so secure against a decent pair of wire cutters though.
    Once again, I need to remind myself to search all the old forum posts.
    Thanks Rob
    ============
    Norm and Mary Ann

2017 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW Diesel, Factory 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit
    2017 Reflection 303RLS, Nov. 2016 Build
    Andersen Ultimate 3220 Hitch

Full-Timing as of June 2018!