User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel Engines and Fuel Filters

These last two years I have had fuel injector issues. My 2005 Chevrolet 3500 with Duramax/Allison started having fuel injector issues around 100,000 miles. Less that a year later I was told I needed to replace all of the fuel injectors. About $8000. So I traded it in on a 2013 Chevrolet 3500 with Duramax/Allison. Love the exhaust brake and the integration of the exhaust brake, tow haul mode, and cruise control. Set it and forget it.

Now I am on day 23 of being stranded without my truck to haul my RV. Pretty well covered this in another thread.

So my learning experience throughout my latest drama is to be particularly aware of contaminates in diesel fuel. Apparently our lifestyle of adventuring off the main path is not good more my fuel purity. Purchasing diesel fuel from older small town stations and driving on dirt roads. I suspect many of my problems arise from fuel contamination. Not enough to make the engine quit right away, just enough to cause damage to the sensitive CP4 fuel pump and the injectors.

After reading lots of information on the subject I have decided that I need to improve my fuel filtration system. I am really liking the FAAS 2 filter purification system. Takes water, air, and other particles out of the fuel. It's a bit pricey, but considering the amount of money I have spent on fuel injection issues it sounds like a really good investment.

Has anyone else experienced fuel injection issues and or installed additional fuel filtering systems?

Dallas

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not on my F350, but I change the 2 fuel filters every 20,000 miles. I've only got 44,000 miles on my 2014, so my problems may be in the future. So far no issues.....

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2015 F-350 is in the shop right now having a minor oil leak fixed. When I was checking it in I asked about fuel filters and how often they (Ford) recommends a change. They used to recommend every 15K but now "with all the cr*p that is showing up in the fuel these days they are going to 10K or 12K." Since I am at 12K I told them to go ahead and change them while they have it.

I'm sure extra filtration can be a benefit but for now I'm going to plan on 12K changes and avoid "off the beaten path" diesel fuel.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    My 2015 F-350 is in the shop right now having a minor oil leak fixed. When I was checking it in I asked about fuel filters and how often they (Ford) recommends a change. They used to recommend every 15K but now "with all the cr*p that is showing up in the fuel these days they are going to 10K or 12K." Since I am at 12K I told them to go ahead and change them while they have it.

I'm sure extra filtration can be a benefit but for now I'm going to plan on 12K changes and avoid "off the beaten path" diesel fuel.
    BTW, they take 10 minutes to change yourself and are much cheaper from Amazon than from the dealer.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arhayes View Post
    BTW, they take 10 minutes to change yourself and are much cheaper from Amazon than from the dealer.

Alan
    Thanks Alan. I will definitely do that next time around.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manual in my 9 year old Ford recommends every 10,000 miles. You can change more often if you think conditions warrant. When we had sailboats a lot of people used these when travelling in other countries. Might be worthwhile if in less traveled locations.

http://myboatsgear.com/2017/01/09/baja-filter/
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just learning about the coolant additive on my new F250 6.7 (that's another story). While looking at the manual, I saw it stated to change both fuel filters at 22,500 miles. Mine is a 2016. I will be looking at changing both myself if it's not difficult. The maintenance on these diesels get pricey. But gotta love the trucks!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TucsonJim can remind us about having sketchy shops replace fuel filters, especially on Fords. Please keep in mind that there are lots of quality differences in fuel filters, and bargains in this department may be very expensive in the long run1
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I hope the guy that worked on T-Jim's truck is far from here. Crossing my fingers his cousin isn't here at my Ford shop.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    TucsonJim can remind us about having sketchy shops replace fuel filters, especially on Fords. Please keep in mind that there are lots of quality differences in fuel filters, and bargains in this department may be very expensive in the long run1
    You beat me to it. Whether it's a sketchy shop or a big Ford dealership, there is a design issue that can lead to a potential a fuel leak and fire on the 6.7L diesel engine. The fire investigator believes that when I had my upper filter changed at a Ford dealership in Michigan last year, one of the two fuel lines that attaches to the fuel filter canister was not reinstalled correctly. With enough time and miles, the fuel line worked itself off and the resultant fuel leak cause the fire.

Since the fuel lines have to be removed to replace the upper filter, I recommend that all owners physically tug on both the lines after the filter has been changed to make sure that they are securely refastened. These lines are near several exhaust components and a leak can result in a horrible fire.

Jim

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast