User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Question

lowfly

Heat Question

When I turn the heat on the air begins to flow and the furnace ignites within about 1 minute as it should. When it reaches the desired temperature the furnace shuts off but the a/c fan NEVER does. It will run forever until you shut off the system. Does yours operate this way??

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Heat Question

The Dometic digital thermostat is a dual zone stat for a/c only. Heat will only operate on 1 zone.

Make sure you have the fan mode set to "auto" instead of "low" or "high" and the A/C fan will not come on.

Do not reprogram your stat......
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you mixing up the propane furnace which uses the flood heat registers with the heat pump located in the air conditioner ( heater located in the air conditioner) that pumps heat through the ceiling registers? I have a solitude with a similar heat system but I can't help you out since I don't understand the problem you are having.

By the way, the heat pump only works epwhen the outside temp is higher than 32F degrees.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

cuttinchief

[quote author=huntr70 link=topic=213.msg1302#msg1302 date=1388188572]
    The Dometic digital thermostat is a dual zone stat for a/c only. Heat will only operate on 1 zone.

Make sure you have the fan mode set to "auto" instead of "low" or "high" and the A/C fan will not come on.

Do not reprogram your stat......
    [/quote]

Hunter70 is correct the same happens on the Columbus as well set it to auto and let it flow.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We appear to have 6 cold air ducts in our living area (kitchen and lounge) of our Solitude and only 2 heat registers under the island. When we turn on the heat, the bedroom and bathroom heat up quickly but the living area doesn't. It is quite cold. Has anyone else run into this problem and/or have any solutions?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if they intended for the fire place heater to take care of the living room.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

lbeck37

There is a heat outlet register at the floor at each end of the kitchen island, one of mine had some silver duct tape covering it that I was told to remove as it had been left on by mistake! The six registers on the floor at the front of the living area are just openings into the luggage compartment for cold air return to the LP furnace. I think a better design would be for the furnace, which is under a shelf for the water heater, to be enclosed and have a couple of largish flexible ducts run directly to the registers so I wouldn't always feel cold air from the luggage compartment coming into my living area. We have a heat pump and I have covered these openings until I need to use the LP furnace.

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Mine has a similar issue with heating the bedroom a lot, and the living room a little. I pulled the basement apart over the weekend and see the following:
    The living room is heated with 2-4" ducts that go to the island - I would guess that it goes to one plenum that feeds both ducts.
    The Bedroom/Bathroom/basement are also fed with 2-4"ducts that feed the plenum. The plenum then feeds the two ducts and the vent to the basement.
    The underfloor is fed with a 3 or 4" duct that goes under.
    The plumbing station is fed with a 2" duct that is also tied into the underfloor system which is fed by a 4" duct. I was going to take pictures, but I forgot!
    All of the returns feed into the area between the basement walls and the floor/stairwell ducts. They are open and are just empty draw spaces.

I am going to look at connecting two of the return registers to one of the 4" ducts that feed the bedroom/bathroom area. Since the heat is already heading upstairs by transfer, I think it would work better. Plus I like my bedroom cooler than the rest of the trailer. I'm going to look and see if I can put registers at one or more of the ducts and heat the entry way area. I believe that it would give enough space between the send and the return registers that I would be effective. I would cap off the other 4" opening at the bedroom/bathroom register.
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

lbeck37

Grand Design told me that there is minimum amount of square inches for return air ducting (via the 6 registers into the basement) to prevent the furnace from kicking off. And of course doing anything to restrict the flow from the furnace to the heat put registers can do the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Mine has a similar issue with heating the bedroom a lot, and the living room a little. I pulled the basement apart over the weekend and see the following:
    The living room is heated with 2-4" ducts that go to the island - I would guess that it goes to one plenum that feeds both ducts.
    The Bedroom/Bathroom/basement are also fed with 2-4"ducts that feed the plenum. The plenum then feeds the two ducts and the vent to the basement.
    The underfloor is fed with a 3 or 4" duct that goes under.
    The plumbing station is fed with a 2" duct that is also tied into the underfloor system which is fed by a 4" duct. I was going to take pictures, but I forgot!
    All of the returns feed into the area between the basement walls and the floor/stairwell ducts. They are open and are just empty draw spaces.

I am going to look at connecting two of the return registers to one of the 4" ducts that feed the bedroom/bathroom area. Since the heat is already heading upstairs by transfer, I think it would work better. Plus I like my bedroom cooler than the rest of the trailer. I'm going to look and see if I can put registers at one or more of the ducts and heat the entry way area. I believe that it would give enough space between the send and the return registers that I would be effective. I would cap off the other 4" opening at the bedroom/bathroom register.
    Ct..
    I just spent a few days removing the underbelly to find about 15 feet of extra 4" duct scrunched up restricting air flow to the island registers. I also added another 4" duct to the island as the heater had two more ports available and a ton more insulation to the underbelly and what a difference!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast