Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First TT(first RV!), towing concerns. Check my math please!

I'm moving cross country for an 18 month school at the end of May. My wife and I(this is our shared GD forum account btw) are going to take a shot at full timing it in the Monterey CA area. I'll try to keep this brief.

My plan is to pick up the TT here in FL, then get it configured to our liking, test a few packing configurations, do some more practice drives, etc, then take it across I10 to the destination(about 2700 miles).

I've towed many cargo trailers and a couple campers for short distancs over the years, but never anything so valueable, so far, in such hot conditions, that is so close to my max weight. Here's what I'm working with.

Truck is a 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4.7 double cab, standard bed 4WD w/tow (Tekonsha P3).
    -Anti-sway, Weight distributing hitch(not sure which model yet)
    -Per the manual, max tow weight(cargo plus trailer) is 7800lbs(6400lbs w/o tow package)
    -GAWR front is 4000lb, GAWR rear is 4100lb, GVWR is 6900lb
    -Has about 81,000 miles on it.

Trailer is a 2018 Grand Designs Imagine 2670mk
    -UVW 6561
    -Hitch Weight 642
    -GVWR 8495

So what say you?
    How will the truck handle a load so close to max for such a long haul?
    Do you have any recommendations of special precautions to take? I'll make sure all my fluids are topped off, fresh oil change, max cold pressure on the tires, but other than that, all I can think is to drive converatively and do a quick inspection at every stop.

I want to be as gentle on the truck and trailer as I can. I have a buddy with the same truck who hauled an 11,000lb trailer(and his family) cross country on I40 with no brake controller. He said he had it inspected when he finished and they saw no undue wear and tear, so I guess it's possible, but that's just one nut's annecdote.(Me? I would not want to come over the rockies without a brake controller!) .

Any advice you can offer is appreciated. Thanks much!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some states that require brake control in your vehicle no matter what The weight is ,others require anything over 3000 pounds must have brakes , which means you must have a brake controller in the tow vehicle Also if you don't have a transmission cooler I wouldn't tow it at all. Also I would suggest using synthetic fluids throughout your vehicle. I would also have the dealer check your trailer brakes to make sure no seals have leaked onto your brakes being that Lippert has had issues with there axle seals . This is mentioned in this forum. If your buddy gets pulled over by DOT they will take him off the road. Your trailer is too heavy for your truck and I would suggest getting a truck that has a higher towing capacity because you also could be taken off the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not enough truck for that camper. Get a smaller one or trade up the Tundra for the 5.7! If your buying from a good dealer, they will not let you pick up and take the coach home. Blessings!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Original poster's other half here. The Imagine brochure has GVWR at 7,700 lbs.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...e-111716_0.pdf

Got that from their website, but the 2670MK floor plan page has 8,495.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2670mk

Does anyone know what the correct value is? We will be calling Grand Design, too.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're on the edge of towability. If you are really careful with the propane, water, and cargo you pack in the trailer, you may not exceed the towing capacity of the truck. I realize you posted the GAWR ratings, but without the actual weight of the loaded truck, it's hard to tell if you'll exceed the payload on the truck. Can you check to see if there is a tire placard on the truck that tells you the cargo capacity? In addition to the specification on how much the vehicle can tow, you need to understand how much weight you can put on it in order not to exceed the payload capacity. The sticker will probably look something like the one below and will tell you how much weight the truck can handle. In the sample picture, it's 3339 pounds. Once you have that number, you'll need to calculate how much the passengers, tongue weight, trailer hitch and cargo weigh. If it exceeds the capacity of the truck, you'll be over weight.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarriehoo View Post
    Hi! Original poster's other half here. The Imagine brochure has GVWR at 7,700 lbs.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/sites/...e-111716_0.pdf

Got that from their website, but the 2670MK floor plan page has 8,495.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2670mk

Does anyone know what the correct value is? We will be calling Grand Design, too.

One question to ask is how much do you think your stuff will weigh if you are full timing? I've read that 2500lbs is barely adequate and that 4000lbs is not unheard of. Whatever the GVWR ends up being will it allow for enough payload for your needs? We've been dreaming a lot about full timing and I found this website to be pretty informative on the subject:
    http://www.rv-dreams.com/
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perfpix View Post
    One question to ask is how much do you think your stuff will weigh if you are full timing? I've read that 2500lbs is barely adequate and that 4000lbs is not unheard of. Whatever the GVWR ends up being will it allow for enough payload for your needs? We've been dreaming a lot about full timing and I found this website to be pretty informative on the subject:
    That's a great point and one we aren't really sure about. We know the last time we moved our 3 bedroom household it was 6,000 lbs. total. We are putting all of our furniture/extra household items in storage, and I can't see us getting that close to 2,500 lbs. and definitely not 4,000. I think if we knew what the max amount was we would work within those parameters. We are clearly turned around by all of this, though!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perfpix View Post
    Google is your friend I searched for "Imagine 2670mk sticker", clicked on "images" and found weight stickers from an actual 2670mk on a dealers lot: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unit_photo_201701140540481965969838.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	8033

Full listing is at http://www.generalrv.com/product/new...70mk-609909-29

GVWR is 8495lbs, UVW is 6800lbs and payload is 1655lbs

John
    John, Heidi and our 2 Cocker Spaniels Venus & Big Papi
    2016 Relfection 30BH 5th wheel
    2016 F350 SRW CC SB 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    Pullrite Superglide with Superrails

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks, my bet was 8495 based on the UVW. 1100 lbs (GVWR 7700) wouldn't even let you fill all the tanks.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much "stuff" you carry is proportional to how much room you have to store it .
    I think you would have trouble finding space for 1000 lbs of stuff in an Imagine . . . maybe 2500/4000 lbs in a Solitude/Momentum. (This is assuming that you are not carrying a full set of mechanic's tools . . . or similar)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast