Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argg, I hate dealers... So close but yet so far.... My dealer walkthrough

Hi All:
    sorry to be long winded... Well, our new 2018 303rls still sits at the dealers. We were supposed to have our walk through today and bring her home but NOT... Saturday I spent 3-4 hrs with the unit going over as much as I could given the fact that dealer PDI was not completed yet and there was no power/battery to the unit. Other then 2 roof issues I commented about in another thread my issues were pretty minor. One end cap seam to re-caulk, a dining room chair with a missing screw on the floor, one screw head popped of inside pass through bay, etc.. I left the service dept my list of fixes to be addressed for our formal walk through today. Well they worked on those. We arrived today at 1 per the apt. Took till 1:30 til they had the unit back in a bay. My first question, did you pull the hubs and check for grease per the sales agreement? This was part of the sales agreement? I have hounded the salesman on this since day one and it is written on the order. We checked the serial numbers of the axles and there is no recall. Can I see the recall paperwork? sure... I say this is for snapped hub bolts. I calmly explained about the grease issues and Lippert authorizing checks. Sorry, we called already and there is no recall. Great, I will call Lippert myself. BUT.... 20 minutes later case # opened and authorization given. Dealer service dept, well we will need to call and verify this.... 1/2 hr later well OK, so I guess we can check them....

The guy doing the walk though is not the tech. Knows practically nothing, I had to tell him many things. He plain skipped over the auto leveler as he walked through the "tour". Didn't even know it existed... I ask about the battery, is it a group 27? He has to call the tech over. No it is a group 24. I say, DG specs a group 27. His response I just put in what they tell me on the work order. Can I talk to the service manager? SM says only the Solitudes call for a group 27. I had to pull the reflection manual and prove to them it takes a group 27. OK, we will change it out. Tried to light propane items. Lines full of air. I asked was propane ever tested? Walk through guy smiles and shrugs his shoulders. We test inside appliances. I ask to light the oven. Well... We normally wouldn't do that. My response, should I go get my butane stick lighter from the car or are you going to go get one.... TV, stereo, fireplace. The remotes are in the drawer, help yourself. Have they been tested are you going to show me? Again the guy smiles and shrugs his shoulders. I take the remotes and check things myself. Time to hook up water. Guess what water dripping down from behind panel. I tell the guy to shut off the water. I again ask was this tested? Guy smiles and shrugs his shoulders.... I have him pull tech over. Tech listens and says continue with your walk through but don't do anything with water till is it in my bay and I can look at it. I check roof repairs. One spot OK, the other so-so. Can see where the caulking is just sagging and will not hold long term. Explain that this needs to be properly patched with eternabond or similar to be fixed properly.. Found 1/2 dozen other little things...

Bottom line by end of the day the unit is getting worked on. Wheels are being pulled and bearings repacked. Roof is being repaired further, tech found crack in water intake connection. Unit wont be ready today. So,,, My next window is Saturday.

OK, so for the most part there is nothing on this list that a little TLC won't take care of. There was nothing if a proper Dealer PDI was done wouldn't have been found. Should it have been right from GD, yes. Is there a reason that dealers are supposed to do a full PDI, HELL YES! Did this dealer? Hell no... I know I will go through everything with a fine tooth comb once I get it.

.... And the finance guy wonders why I turned down the extended maintenance contract for the dealer to repair things for 5 years...

Waiting till Saturday
    Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. I can see why there are so many complaints about dealers. It shouldn't be like this. I guess buying used saved us from this hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Grand Design 369RL
    2016 Ford F350 Crew 4x4 Short Bed 18k Demco autoslide

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - Your frustration is justified. I know it doesn't help much, but most of us have been through this very same experience. With all the different PDI inspections that GDRV boasts about, it is difficult to figure out how they still deliver a unit to a dealer with so many things missed. Then there is the dealer. Yours sounds pretty much par for the course. Can you imagine how long these guys would stay in business if they were selling anything other than RVs . . . it would be measured in weeks at the most. Hang in there . . . once you have the dealership in your rear view mirrors, the Reflection becomes yours and there are lots of better ways to tune things in and get everything working properly. GDRV (and this forum) will help.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim - Your frustration is justified. I know it doesn't help much, but most of us have been through this very same experience. With all the different PDI inspections that GDRV boasts about, it is difficult to figure out how they still deliver a unit to a dealer with so many things missed. Then there is the dealer. Yours sounds pretty much par for the course. Can you imagine how long these guys would stay in business if they were selling anything other than RVs . . . it would be measured in weeks at the most. Hang in there . . . once you have the dealership in your rear view mirrors, the Reflection becomes yours and there are lots of better ways to tune things in and get everything working properly. GDRV (and this forum) will help.

Rob
    Thanks Rob, I know. Just had to vent. To be honest, I agree with those that say you are towing a house through an earthquake once it leaves the factory. Things give and shift. Seams will open. Sometimes trim comes loose. Hell, I know I would be an absolute wreck if I got bounced around like that. That is why it is a must for a dealer to do their jobs and do a proper PDI. Most of what I see really comes down to that. While I would have liked perfect, I didn't expect it from GD. I still feel if there is a "real issue" GD has my back. What scares me is I know what to look for how to fix things. I can take care of it and will in the future but what about the poor SOB that is clueless and thinks all is well.... They are at the mercy of the dealer doing their job....

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob expresses more patience than I could muster. Hopefully you haven't parted with any cash, I'd walk.

Good luck, all fixable things, but not the way to start your future with a purchase of this size.

Tom
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
    Rob expresses more patience than I could muster. Hopefully you haven't parted with any cash, I'd walk.

Good luck, all fixable things, but not the way to start your future with a purchase of this size.

Tom
    Tom:
    Given the RV environment what are you going to do... Sure walking away is an option but short of walking away from buying any unit you have to work through it. All the issues are "minor" there is no water damage, the walls are all intact, no delamination, all the appliances mostly work as far as I can tell. Cosmetically the unit looks great for the level of unit it is.

The biggest thing is be an educated consumer. For everyone looking at any RV. Read up, understand everything, don't rely on your salesman, generally, his job is to get your money, not be an expert. Trust be verify anything with a service dept. they are under the gun by management to push units through in a very busy time. I walked in with my eyes wide open. I expected issues and wasn't disappointed ��. They are taking care of everything. It is just is taking a few extra days....

Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Tom:
    Given the RV environment what are you going to do... Sure walking away is an option but short of walking away from buying any unit you have to work through it. All the issues are "minor" there is no water damage, the walls are all intact, no delamination, all the appliances mostly work as far as I can tell. Cosmetically the unit looks great for the level of unit it is.
    Hi Jim,

I understand. But, when we always do, what we have always done, we will always get the same result. Dealers are not motivated to improve, RV manufacturers know we are making purchases based on emotion, not need, and with that, we put up with things that are unheard of when making other purchases.

I was fortunate, I had a good build from Grand Design (or a good dealership who fixed all except one flaw, so I didn't know the difference). At only 54 years old, I will likely outlive this trailer, but hope to hang on to it long enough to only have to go through one more purchase cycle!

Again, good luck with your purchase, may the experiences be wonderful and plentiful.

Safe travels.

Tom
    2013 Silverado 3500HD / LWB / 2WD / Duramax-Allison
    2017 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim--totally unacceptable ! Anyone caring about what they do and simply miss a few things and act promptly to take care of it is going to happen and OK but this is not what you are sharing. This blatant seemingly "we don't give a shi! attitude" of not only NOT doing an important and thorough dealer PDI but then then acting repeatedly with indifference as they did, cannot go without sharing this with GDRV at top levels. GDRV has made a clear that they have selected only a few of the very best dealers to do business with......does not seem the case here.

Your story is also an example of something this very forum has as a mission to address...... "to improve the "RV experience" along with the product and industry.

Micah Staley is the GM for the entire Reflection product lines.......he is one of the top leaders. I suggest you contact him (he WILL want to know about this) and take action as appropriate. His cell # is 574 361 1299.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Toes" has it right! You are not just buying some entry level piece of $%^@^@! This is supposed to be a better product. You don't just drop $40k and get a product like that, and be treated like that. That's why we bought what we bought. I find this outright disgusting because we all are apparently drinking the kool aid.
    BabyBober: We are feeling for you and it sounds like in your comments, you are mentally getting through this. It was a love fest a week ago while you wait and now feeling jilted! I know, I did the same thing but our PDI went nothing like yours. Before we were just worried about the bed pillow top Hang in there, my friend, and hopefully the dealer and GD people will help you walk through this. Hopefully, a year from now, you will be sitting around a campfire, drinking a cold one, and saying: remember what those $^##YW tried to pull on me! I sort of agree with Tom and just walk away and stick it to them but likely all fixable eventually. Unfortunately this demonstrates that these are still trailers and RV people dealers are just that. GD should really take a look in the mirror.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My concern would be the shoddy service afterwards. As bad as it is now: uncaring, indifferent and dismissive, just think what kind of reception this place will provide you once final sales documents are signed and they've cashed your check.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast