User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel Bearing Replacement

I have a question about getting the wheel bearings replaced. My trailer was manufactured on 4/2015 and we purchased and took delivery May 12, 2015. I was one of the people with grease leaking from the seals and onto breaks/wheels. On Monday 5/1/17 I dropped off the trailer to have the bearings repacked and the mechanic has now called me and said they are showing signs of wear already. We don't travel great distances, and I drove my truck under 10,000 miles last year, and its my daily driver, so the trailer could not have gone more than 5000 miles and I think that is a huge stretch. So I would assume the trailer could not have traveled more than 10,000 miles since we purchased.

The dealer repacked the the bearings in May of 2016 as part of the annual inspection, so they were re-greased last year, but my confidence that they would have caught wear and tear and said anything is low based on past interactions.

Is it reasonable to have to replace the bearings already?

Thank you for the advice. Ben
    Ben & Camille
    2022 Ford F450 King Ranch
    B&W Factory Puck 5th Wheel Hitch
    2016 Reflection 303RLS 4/2015

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do all my own work, and at about 10-12K miles, I too noticed a little bit of discoloration on my 2014 337's bearings. I replaced them with Timken bearings which I consider to be the best available and they are manufactured in the USA. I'm sure the original bearings installed on the axles by Lippert are absolutely the cheapest they could find.

I wouldn't hesitate at all and demand that the dealer use Timken bearings for the replacement. In fact, when I do my first annual bearing service in six months on our 2017 297, I'm going to put new bearings in whether they show any wear or not.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-03-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, do you just replace the bearings or did you do the races as well? I'm thinking of doing the same thing and leaving the races if I don't see any wear or damage to them.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Jim, do you just replace the bearings or did you do the races as well? I'm thinking of doing the same thing and leaving the races if I don't see any wear or damage to them.
    I always replace the bearings and races as a set. If you use a bearing from one manufacturer and a race from another, there may be enough of a difference to cause premature wear.

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim!