Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof rubber covering problems

Well, I know I'm the second owner of my 2015 303RLS but I didn't expect this. While checking out the roof for an additional A/C unit install, I noticed some side to side ripples in the rubber covering. These ripples or waves could be picked up off the solid roof and it was apparent that the covering was not glued down at all. I took my unit over to the RV repair shop to have the A/C installed and showed him the ripples. He said that the whole sheet could rip apart from the front cap seam and fly back over the roof, exposing the wooden roofing material. He said he has seen them flapping on RV's going down the highway with the owner completely unaware until the next stop.

Well, I got up there and sure enough, it's loose all over the roof. I can lift up the rubber sheet off the roof in any place all along the roof. I am planning a trip next month and have decided to replace the entire rubber sheet. He will put new luan sheets down first and then glue this new stuff down nice and tight.

What gives with this? Anybody else find loose roofing material on their rig?

Ron Sagaert - Tallahassee, FL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother-in-law has a 303 and it happened to him. The membrane wasn't properly glued down between the front cap and the bedroom vent. As he traveled down the road, the roof would baloon up. It eventually pulled free. Grand Design paid to have his dealer replace the whole membrane.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron - rubber roof bubbles/wrinkles/coming loose have been referenced a few times on this forum as noted by oldguy in post #2. This is certainly not just a GDRV item as for decades in our travels we have seen RV after RV traveling down the highway with particularly the front area blown up like a big bubble.

Most posts on this forum seem to reference one or a few areas of wrinkles or bubbles on purchases of new RVs and feedback shared by dealers and/or GDRV, as not a problem. Expansion or contraction of the rubber and some small areas with adhesive issues do occur resulting in bubbles/wrinkles at times. However, there are other posts where getting the roof repaired/replaced s/b done. I do not recall any posts where replacing or adding to (luan in your case) material under the rubber roof was done as you are alluding to. Why are you doing this by the way ?

I did a search on rubber roof and here is the link with several threads and some of them reference rubber roof bubbles/wrinkles/etc. http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...earchid=847704

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have having to install a new roof, I would look strongly rv-armor instead of the rubber roof. If I ever need a new roof, it will be this type roof.
    Robert/Sandy/Lily (mini Yorkie)
    2015 Grand Design 313RLTS
    2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins (modified)
    Past units: 85 Holiday Rambler TT, 88 Jayco 5th wheel, 91 Avion 5th wheel, 94 Hitchhiker 5th wheel, 2000 Discovery motorhome, 2001 Mountain Aire motorhome, 2005 42' Travel Supreme motorhome, 2014 Outback TT

http://i.imgur.com/cie9h38.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having the roof material replaced with a TPO material made by Alpha Ruse. This is a newer material and it's warranteed for 15 years. The installer was concerned about the glue adhering to old roofing base material so we decided on installing new 3/16 inch luan and then the TPO covering glued down on top of that. The luan is more a fresh base to glue to than anything else. I feel good about it and know that I've averted a horrible episode of roadside disaster. At least, of the roof flapping type.
    The old roof came off in one piece, not like removing glued strips of a normal roof.

So far, I'm glad to have found this problem before it became a disaster. Not happy about paying for it but very pleased to take care of it while home.

Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2015 Reflection 27RLS and we had our roof replaced twice. The first time GD covered the entire cost(1yr out of warranty) and the dealer glued the new roof right over the same previously glued wood top. Well, that lasted for one month while we travelled to Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. The last day of our trip, the roof was tearing off and flapping down the highway, wrecking the TV antenna and one of the roof vents. The second replacement, the dealer replaced the wood on the front portion so they would be gluing onto fresh wood, at least on the front portion. That has been solid for about 6 months and hopefully for many more years to come. The dealer covered the costs for the 2nd roof replacement and related damages. So putting fresh wood on your roof was a good idea, from my experience. Paul

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorbackRon View Post
    I am having the roof material replaced with a TPO material made by Alpha Ruse. This is a newer material and it's warranteed for 15 years. The installer was concerned about the glue adhering to old roofing base material so we decided on installing new 3/16 inch luan and then the TPO covering glued down on top of that. The luan is more a fresh base to glue to than anything else. I feel good about it and know that I've averted a horrible episode of roadside disaster. At least, of the roof flapping type.
    The old roof came off in one piece, not like removing glued strips of a normal roof.

So far, I'm glad to have found this problem before it became a disaster. Not happy about paying for it but very pleased to take care of it while home.

Ron
    If I am not mistaken, isn't the roof covered by warranty for 12 years? Or is that only to original owner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike & Doris View Post
    If I am not mistaken, isn't the roof covered by warranty for 12 years? Or is that only to original owner?
    Original Owner
    2023 Ram 2500 Mega diesel
    2023 Imagine 2910
    Gone but not forgotten:
    2018 Imagine 2400BH - with chaise lounge