User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone put a generator in their Reflection?

I am looking at a reflection, but want to be able to do off the grid camping. I am just wondering if anyone has put in a generator in their reflection, how they did it, and what generator they used?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People have done. IF you go the Onan route, just have get the generator cabinet, and wire the hour meter/start switch and wire up the transfer switch.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some models don't lend themselves to a generator install. Maybe your could post what model you have.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul (Poppy's fifth wheel) did so in his 337. He is a very helpful forum contributor and I suspect that if you PM him he will steer you in the right direction to his threads (or you can search the forums as well) on his install and/or share information with you to help.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotime4 View Post
    I am looking at a reflection, but want to be able to do off the grid camping. I am just wondering if anyone has put in a generator in their reflection, how they did it, and what generator they used?
    Hi Gotime4, it would help to know which model Reflection you are looking at but I can tell you that a 337 front compartment can support an Onan 3600 LP unit. I have seen a picture online reportedly of a 337 with a 5500 installed but there were no specifics on how it was squeezed in.

As far as I last heard, GD does not offer a "generator prep package" for the Reflection line like they do for the Solitudes and Momentums so the install would require a significant, although completely manageable, amount of electrical and structural modifications such as a 50 amp automatic transfer switch, wiring for the remote start switch and the generator housing.

In my case I purchased all the hardware myself from Norwall Power Systems then I had a mobile certified RV mechanic do the majority of the install at my home. This saved me thousands from the quotes I got from multiple dealers and independent RV service providers.

We previously used Yamaha and Honda portable units but we wanted total a totally self contained setup in this trailer as it fit our travel and camping habits much better. I can't tell you how pleased we are in our decision and functionality.

Our complete system includes 2 - 6 volt batteries, 300 watts of solar and a 1,000 watt pure sine wave inverter. It works perfectly for us.

We needed to drive straight from south Florida to Tucson recently and we overnighted in a rest stop with trucks surrounding us and it was too hot to sleep so all we had to do is push a button, fire up the gennie and run the A/C all night.

Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Hi Gotime4, it would help to know which model Reflection you are looking at but I can tell you that a 337 front compartment can support an Onan 3600 LP unit. I have seen a picture online reportedly of a 337 with a 5500 installed but there were no specifics on how it was squeezed in.

As far as I last heard, GD does not offer a "generator prep package" for the Reflection line like they do for the Solitudes and Momentums so the install would require a significant, although completely manageable, amount of electrical and structural modifications such as a 50 amp automatic transfer switch, wiring for the remote start switch and the generator housing.

In my case I purchased all the hardware myself from Norwall Power Systems then I had a mobile certified RV mechanic do the majority of the install at my home. This saved me thousands from the quotes I got from multiple dealers and independent RV service providers.

We previously used Yamaha and Honda portable units but we wanted total a totally self contained setup in this trailer as it fit our travel and camping habits much better. I can't tell you how pleased we are in our decision and functionality.

Our complete system includes 2 - 6 volt batteries, 300 watts of solar and a 1,000 watt pure sine wave inverter. It works perfectly for us.

We needed to drive straight from south Florida to Tucson recently and we overnighted in a rest stop with trucks surrounding us and it was too hot to sleep so all we had to do is push a button, fire up the gennie and run the A/C all night.

Thanks Poppy,

I ordered a 28bh so I am not 100% sure on the space for a Generator. Would the 3600 be enough to power 2 A/C's?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotime4 View Post
    Thanks Poppy,

I ordered a 28bh so I am not 100% sure on the space for a Generator. Would the 3600 be enough to power 2 A/C's?
    Nope, it will run everything but 2 A/Cs or at least I have never tried it.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotime4, the 28BH also has a large compartment at the back. It is under the bottom bunk. Not sure how this will affect your weight distribution though. To the road side of that compartment is a concealed space. Might be able to utilize it also for additional wiring and components.