Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Inverter Questions

It seams like the more I learn, the more confused I become and realize I don't know much. So I apologize for all the simple questions...

My goal is to upgrade my battery bank, install a inverter and then charge the batteries with solar, supplemented with my Honda 2000, all in my new 303. Of course I want it to all operate as is, or better when I do hook up to shore power.

My question is about the inverter. I can get by with what I want to invert/power with a small inverter. But how do I hook it into a couple of specific breakers without major rewiring? At this point I only want to power a couple of plug ins, my TV and Sat dish.

Or do I go with a 2000w inverter and power one side of my 50a service for a easier/cleaner/simpler install??

And how important or better is the battery charger that comes with the larger converter over the charger that is currently in my 303??

I had hoped to do the entire project for $2500 or so, but its looking more like I need to upgrade batteries and a larger inverter now and save the solar for later....

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dagwood_55 - the simplest way to run a small inverter is to keep its wiring completely isolated from the main panel and the main coach wiring. Once you splice into the main wiring . . . which can of course be done . . . things get complicated.

The way to do this is to install dedicated "inverter outlets". This means that when you want to run off the inverter, you unplug the TV and the Dish from their main coach power outlets and plug them into the inverter outlet . . . which would ideally be located right beside the main outlet box.

As you go forward with additional batteries and a solar recharging system, the stand alone inverter and outlets need no further additions or modifications . . . they will function as originally installed. One piece of advice . . . increase the battery bank first. Even a small inverter won't last long on the OE single battery.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dagwood I use the Prosine 1800w inverter with the built in transfer switch. The two circuits all our TV's are on run through the inverter trans switch into the main panel. When plugged in or genny is running it is seamless. Nothing to unplug or switch. We have 800 watt of solar on the roof and six 6 volt batteries. Can boondock for weeks.
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't speak directly to your specific RV, but my prior solution in my old Jayco fifth:

Mounted a 600w inverter on the pass through wall just on the other side of the batteries, to keep the inverter only 12 v power cables as short as possible. Then bought a 25 ft. heavy duty extension cord, one end plugged into the inverter, the other snaked up into the mid-coach tv cabinet, and coiled it up in there. Also ran a remote on/off switch to the same cabinet. Then I could replug the TV into the cord for off the grid power, and had long enough extra to stretch it into the bedroom for cpap, or pretty much anywhere else for the occasional other device needs. For the sat. dish, the inverter had two outlets, so one could easily just run that into the pass through. That way I avoided dealing with touching the power system of the rv, dealing with a transfer switch, etc.

Replicating that on my Imagine TT is on the list to figure out later this year.....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanshee View Post
    Dagwood I use the Prosine 1800w inverter with the built in transfer switch. The two circuits all our TV's are on run through the inverter trans switch into the main panel. When plugged in or genny is running it is seamless. Nothing to unplug or switch. We have 800 watt of solar on the roof and six 6 volt batteries. Can boondock for weeks.
    Grabbed these images from Xantrex Prosine Sine Wave Inverter 1000/1800 manual.
    Do you have the power from the inverter's transfer switch wired in between 2 120V CBs for the 2 TV 120V circuits?
    That would make getting power to 2 outlets separated from each other and on different CBs easier.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prosine w Transfer Relay-1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	8153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prosine w Transfer Relay-2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	8154

Thanks,

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled the two circuit wires from the main panel. Ran them into a small panel box with each circuit on its own 15 amp breaker. Tied those together into the trans switch output. Ran a 12/2 from the input of the transfer switch to a 20 amp cb in the main panel. I leave the inverter switch on all the time. When the genny starts it runs the two circuits. When I shut it off the inverter powers the circuits seamlessly. I do not loose tv pic or sat signal during the switch over.
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, that's a good way to avoid running extension cords around.

I plan on installing an inverter and ATS for at least 1 TV circuit, if I needed to run two I'll know what to do.
    Going to use 12/2 just b/c I don't want to have to upsize from 14 awg later if I change something.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank