User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NeilRach04

main floor flex question

We own a 2016 337 RLS and have installed a JT Strongarm stabilizer. It has helped significantly. However, we are still identifying what I can only describe as "floor flex". It seems that when somebody walks across the floor, you can actually see the floor flex and bounce back. This happens anywhere in the main living/kitchen room. I am trying to determine if this is normal, or do I have a defect. My understanding is that the floor and fame construction would be as follows:
    1) Two main I beams running front to back.
    2) Rod and angle cross members running side to side, between the I beams, except where the slide mechanisms prevent this.
    3) Aluminum frame rests on top of said frame work with the " joist" running front to back. Could this allow for the aluminum joist to deflect approximately 1/4" until it settles unto the rod and angle cross members, as the cross members would likely be welded on the inside of the I beam, versus on the top side.

Please keep in mind that this is noticeable even by my 100 lb nephew walking across the floor.also, I am not speaking of shake, but specifically visible deflection of the subfloor, and not just the Beufloor vinyl. Has anyone else noticed this, and is it normal.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been in a towable RV that didn't have some degree of floor flex.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have some degree of "flex" on our '14 337. We also had it in our Keystone Cougar FW, R-Vision Trail Bay FW, and Skyline TT. I have to agree with Huntr70 - it appears to be normal. And the larger the towable, the more noticeable.

NeilRach04
    Thank you both for the replies. We dropped our coach at the dealer for some repair items, on the way back from an outing. Upon doing so, we walked into a few other reflection models, in which we identified similar deflection. It was mostly concerning around the island counter area. When you step on the floor near the edge of the cabinet, you can actually see the whole cabinet/counter slightly shift with the floor. I suppose that would be expected if the floor in s flexing, and the cabinet is mounted to the floor.From the island sink area back is where the deflection of s the most significant, which may be due to larger spans between cross members, as the slide mechanisims run through this area.

All things considered, I am inclined to agree with you both that this may be normal.
    I am still hoping for a response from Grand Design, as well as others who may have a good though to share about this.

Thank you!!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Neil & Rachel,

We certainly noticed the floor flex and island movement when we got our Reflection over a year ago. I remember checking all around the island/floor connection for anything loose. The two are firmly attached . . . but the floor flexes. Because the island is not attached to a wall, it sways with the floor flex. Definitely a little disconcerting at first ! After a while, we got used to this just being part of how the trailer responds to anyone moving about and we don't really notice it anymore. This motion has not changed in over a year and several thousand miles.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

NeilRach04
    Rob,

Thanks for the detailed response. I believe we are thinking along the same lines on this floor flex question. I am still hoping the G.D. tech support gives a response that may offer clearer u derstanding as to why this is occurng, and should there be any concern with it.

Thank you again,
    Neil

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilRach04 View Post
    We own a 2016 337 RLS and have installed a JT Strongarm stabilizer. It has helped significantly. However, we are still identifying what I can only describe as "floor flex". It seems that when somebody walks across the floor, you can actually see the floor flex and bounce back. This happens anywhere in the main living/kitchen room. I am trying to determine if this is normal, or do I have a defect. My understanding is that the floor and fame construction would be as follows:
    2) Rod and angle cross members running side to side, between the I beams, except where the slide mechanisms prevent this.
    3) Aluminum frame rests on top of said frame work with the " joist" running front to back. Could this allow for the aluminum joist to deflect approximately 1/4" until it settles unto the rod and angle cross members, as the cross members would likely be welded on the inside of the I beam, versus on the top side.

Please keep in mind that this is noticeable even by my 100 lb nephew walking across the floor.also, I am not speaking of shake, but specifically visible deflection of the subfloor, and not just the Beufloor vinyl. Has anyone else noticed this, and is it normal.
    Hi Neil & Rachael (@NeilRach04),

Aluminum framed - stuffed with foam in openings. Will "flex" slightly when walking on surface.

Best regards,
    ~ Jnaice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime you use light weight materials you lose some integrity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilRach04 View Post

Some flex is necessary. If these rigs were rigid they would be real heavy
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For GD monitors/forum moderators .... is the post by stagman73 a phishing attempt? Not addressed to anyone in particular and gives a link to click. Stagman73 joined the same day as the post. Given the proliferation of online attacks I am maybe overly suspicious. If I'm wrong...my sincere apologies to stagman73.
    Don and Anita
    Oklahoma
    2015 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel Laramie Edition
    2017 Reflection 337
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch/B&W Companion...depending on weight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast