User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes to Texas Class A/B Exempt Dirver's License Drocedures

For those of you contemplating going full-time (or already are) and establishing domicile in Texas, there have been some changes to the Class A/B Non-Commercial Exempt driver's license procedures. This applies only to those with rigs that exceed the weight criteria for a regular Class C driver's license (see link below):

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

Previously, one had to go to a CDL (commercial driver's license) testing location to take the skills (driving) test. While "streamlining" (read: making things more complicated for the consumer) and bringing their requirements and processes into alignment with the Department of Transportation, Texas DPS has reduced the number of these CDL testing sites to 25 statewide - and it's a BIG state! The good news is, they have separated the exempt license skills testing from the CDL sites and there are now 114 sites that can/will do the skill test for the exempt licenses we RVers need (see link below):

https://www.dps.texas.gov/administra...hTestSites.htm

Now for the confusing part: one can take the written test on a walk-in basis, but the skills test must be scheduled on-line. The only problem is that, when you click on one of the locations to schedule a test, the only options are "Regular Car / Pickup Truck" or "Commercial Vehicle." (Some locations only offer the "Regular Car / Pickup Truck.") What is found nowhere on the DPS web site is the fact that you need to schedule a driving test for a "Regular Car / Pickup Truck." If you take the written test before scheduling the driving test, the driving test location will have paperwork for you when you walk in and will know that you are there for the Class A or Class B skills test (you will need to take this test in your rig).

This took me two months and an in-person visit to a Texas DPS driver's license office to discover - and then only because a very helpful lady told me! All phone numbers for local offices are now shunted to Austin and all emails go to Austin - where you will receive canned responses that don't answer your questions.

I hope someone finds this helpful. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

PS - the material covered on the written exam is from Section 14, "Special Requirements," of the Texas CDL handbook which can be found on-line and downloaded.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update. I need to get mine.
    Danny & Terri Austin TX
    2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 CC LWB 4x4 Duramax SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit confused. I always thought if you were under the 26.001 lbs a regular class c license was all you needed. If i read this correctly it says if the trailer you are towing is over 10.000 lbs you need a class A. Is this correct?
    Donnie & Cindy
    2016 Reflection 318 RST
    2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donniejoel View Post
    I'm a bit confused. I always thought if you were under the 26.001 lbs a regular class c license was all you needed. If i read this correctly it says if the trailer you are towing is over 10.000 lbs you need a class A. Is this correct?
    Only if your tow vehicle AND trailer add up to more than 26,000 lbs. This is the category we were in (trailer over 10K but truck and trailer just under 26,000) before we traded up to the DRW 1 ton, which put us over the criteria on all counts.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is correct. Trailer over 10,000 lbs or total over 26001 lbs you need a class A if pulling a trailer, over 26001 lbs (motorhome) class B.

****PSA We have friends who drive a Winnebago diesel pusher. That got stopped on I-30 in Weatherford TX by DPS just for a license check...yep he got a ticket.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is correct. Trailer over 10,000 lbs or total over 26001 lbs you need a class A if pulling a trailer, over 26001 lbs (motorhome) class B.

****PSA We have friends who drive a Winnebago diesel pusher. That got stopped on I-30 in Weatherford TX by DPS just for a license check...yep he got a ticket.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post

I read it differently, Rojo - and the experts at Escapees do, too. From the TX DPS web site:

"A combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

The combination has to add up to 26,001 lbs. AND the trailer has to be over 10K. In our previous situation, the trailer was 13,990, but the truck was 10K. That put us at 23,990 total and I did not have to have the Class A license. It was trading up to a 1-ton DRW at 13,300 GVRW that put us over the 26,000 combined and kicked us into the Class A category.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I read it differently, Rojo - and the experts at Escapees do, too. From the TX DPS web site:

"A combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

The combination has to ad up to 26,001 lbs. AND the trailer has to be over 10K. In our previous situation, the trailer was 13,990, but the truck was 10K. That put us at 23,990 total and I did not have to have the Class A license. It was trading up to a 1-ton DRW at 13,300 GVRW that put us over the 26,000 combined and kicked us into the Class A category.

Rob
    You are correct -which is why my Super Duty was ordered with a derated 10k GVWR. This allowed me to tow up to a 16000 lb trailer and not require a different license.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to know we are legal but I would be willing to bet most of those DRW trucks pulling those 40 + foot toy haulers are not. I doubt most even know they need a Class A license.
    Donnie & Cindy
    2016 Reflection 318 RST
    2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read on the Escapees forum that some of those that had their domicile in Tex. are now switching to South Dakota, due to the newer annual vehicle inspection and the license requirement.

For those that are getting ready to go full time and haven't done the research, you only have to spend two nights in a motel or RV park with a receipt in your name, to get your domain transferred to South Dakota. They even have one of those mail forwarding services just outside of Rapid City that has an RV park outside of their office, to help you get everything all set up.

In other research a couple of years ago (planning for this full time life), taking everything into consideration such as vehicle registration, vehicle insurance, health insurance, ease of transfering your domain, etc. that SD is the most affordable state to do all of this. That article was a couple of years ago so not sure if another comparison has been done since then.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast