User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Class A Exempt sounds correct for truck GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds

Written was:
    CDL Handbook https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf

Sections
    6: Combination Vehicles
    14: Special Requirements for Texas Commercial Motor Vehicles

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm
    https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLice...pointments.htm
    https://www.dps.texas.gov/rolodex/search.asp - Zip 77351 for Livingston
    @Second Chance,
    I suppose you have to obtain a Class C TX license 1st?
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole class A non-commercial (California's classification) thing is how I ended up with our Reflection 28BH. The GVW of my truck is 14k lbs. The trailer is 10,995. That means my total combo is 24,995 lbs, so I'm under the requirement for a non-commercial class A. However, in California if your trailer is over 10k but under 15k lbs, you need a special trailers endorsement known internally to the DMV as "Restriction 41". You have to take a written test. I did this and on the back of my Calif DL is printed "Restriction 41".

The biggest difficulty was actually getting the DMV folks to figure out what this was. The branch manager actually had to get involved and make some phone calls lol.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    @Second Chance, I suppose you have to obtain a Class C TX license 1st?
    Not sure - we were already Texas residents so I had one, but one would have to check with the TX DL office and ask that question. I think you can probably go straight for a Class A, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkF450S390RK View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread... what do you need to study to be prepared for the written and driving tests? Looking at setting up Domicile in Texas. Additionally since I don't know the Texas area which testing center is closest to Livingston that tests Class A Exempt?

Pretty sure I need the Class A with an F450 and 390RK.

Thanks!
    Mark, study chapter 14 of the Texas CDL handbook. You can find it online at Texas.gov. Practice parallel parking your rig (that’s right you’ll have to park it parallel park your rig). The instructions for reversing in a straight line and parallel parking are found in the handbook. The written test covers the info in chapter 14. The road test is just basic trailer driving clearing corners; proper braking; and equipment to inspection. All class A drivers should have the three road triangles and a fire in extinguisher mounted in the cab as well as in the trailer. I bought my triangles at a truck stop.

Can’t help you with the nearest DPS DL station in Livingston. I did my test at Paris, TX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I have heard from several motorhome owners that created a LLC in a different state to register motorhome to get out paying taxes and was pulled over by State Police was ask for CDL, log book and DOT numbers since they were register commercial business (LLC). I have register and leased vehicles for my own business and never been told I had to have a CDL to drive them but I have no reason not to believe that it hasn't happened.
    For a few years now the RVs and horse trailers with LLC registration have to have CDLs and electronic logs. Any time you are paid, have the RV in a Corp shell, or accept endorsement / sponsorship money you’ll be subject to Commercial regs. Corp cars are not subject to the DOT comm towing regs.

As an aside, I recently asked a DPS Cpl if my rig is 50 state legal since I don’t have a DRW. Answer, keep the inspection, registration and insurance papers in the glove box and all they can do upon inspection is wag a finger that I don’t comply with the People’s Republic of Cali regs. Legal in Texas means legal on the nations roadways. Thankfully Texas has a very broad towing regulatory framework.

Cheers
    Last edited by Ra&Ta350; 06-30-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Go read this thread on the Escapees forum from the very start. It's several years old but the initial entry is excellent and the thread has been updated with any changes that have occurred. The TX drivers license in Livingston does testing for the Class A/B exempt licenses last I knew.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/12534...comment-868304

Rob
    Rob, do you happen to know: I have a California Class B commercial license, which meets all my needs. I'm contemplating moving to TX and wonder are they going to make me take all the tests as if I were applying for a new license? Or will they take my money, my California license and just issue a Texas license?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitJim View Post
    Rob, do you happen to know: I have a California Class B commercial license, which meets all my needs. I'm contemplating moving to TX and wonder are they going to make me take all the tests as if I were applying for a new license? Or will they take my money, my California license and just issue a Texas license?
    Thanks
    In Texas, a Class B Exempt is for motorhomes over 16,000 lbs. GVWR towing a tow'd less than 10,000 lbs. GVWR. You don't say what your rig is but in Texas, for a combined weight over 26,000 lbs. GVWR and a trailer over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, you would need a Class A Non-Commercial Exempt (or commercial if you want to keep your commercial rating). I don't know how your CA license would translate to Texas - you would have to check with them. We moved to Texas from South Carolina. At the time, I only needed a Class C license (trailer was over 10K but the combo was just under 26K). When we upgraded the truck, I had to upgrade my license which involved taking the written and driving tests. It's no big deal - not the entire CDL handbook (all explained in the Escapees thread above).

Welcome to Texas!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    In Texas, a Class B Exempt is for motorhomes over 16,000 lbs. GVWR towing a tow'd less than 10,000 lbs. GVWR. You don't say what your rig is but in Texas, for a combined weight over 26,000 lbs. GVWR and a trailer over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, you would need a Class A Non-Commercial Exempt (or commercial if you want to keep your commercial rating). I don't know how your CA license would translate to Texas - you would have to check with them. We moved to Texas from South Carolina. At the time, I only needed a Class C license (trailer was over 10K but the combo was just under 26K). When we upgraded the truck, I had to upgrade my license which involved taking the written and driving tests. It's no big deal - not the entire CDL handbook (all explained in the Escapees thread above).

Welcome to Texas!

Rob
    Rob, sorry I omitted that one crucial piece. I'm actually thinking more about my motorhome and Nissan Frontier as a toad. Combined gross rating on the entire rig is 24,000, which ought to be OK even with a Class C license. I want to keep my commercial license but don't really relish having to take the full battery of tests when I move to Texas. No upgrades planned but I want to keep what I have, just in case. Thanks.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what its worth, I Just thought I'd update this for 2022 Texas license seekers.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/dr...river-licenses

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234