User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fast Ramp Door System not working to float the ramp any longer

My unit is fairly new (delivered March 2017) and when I went to take my ramp down today it started coming down slow and then began to drop very quickly and got way heavier. It took my wife and I both to push it back up (I am not sure I could have closed the ramp on my own) to get the ramp/door closed. The short cables towards the bottom of the ramp, that i suspect are supposed to provide the tension to "float" the ramp at any position seem to be fairly slack: I would expect them to have a lot of tension on them since they ostensibly hold the ramp at any position to allow the "float". Has anyone experienced a similar ramp challenge? This one seems to be a failure of the Fast Ramp system based on what I am seeing right now. This is only our second trip out with our 350M and I seem to remember the ramp going up and down really easily, and floating, before, but it is heavy now and would come crashing down without someone holding it up underneath. Is this something I should just be taking back to my dealership to fix after this camping trip? Thoughts?
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish mine would float.... mine free falls from the moment its opened if you let it... not sure if I'm missing something or not.
    Bud Leary
    2015 Momentum 380TH
    2017 F350 King Ranch Diesel
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Hitch
    Airlift Semi-Automatic Airbag System
    Yamaha Custom Electric Golf Cart with 6" Lift

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bud, it appears the newer units have a different kind of door assist than ours. Ours are spring assist on the hinges only.

Ruach-Elisha, You should probably contact GD to see what they say. My guess is something is out of whack. Then you will be armed with info from GD when contacting your dealer.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Bud, it appears the newer units have a different kind of door assist than ours. Ours are spring assist on the hinges only.

Ruach-Elisha, You should probably contact GD to see what they say. My guess is something is out of whack. Then you will be armed with info from GD when contacting your dealer.
    Wonder if we can retrofit something on ours ? There is no way my wife could open this thing solo....

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rclbud View Post
    Wonder if we can retrofit something on ours ? There is no way my wife could open this thing solo....
    The one I saw was integrated into the rear door frame so probably difficult. My door will "float" about 6" off the ground but is heavy going up and down. Maybe your springs have weakened some. There maybe "stronger" hinge springs available.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE. I did end up getting my Fast Ramp (made by Lippert) fixed by my dealer under warranty last month. They had a bit of back and forth with Grand Design over how to make the repair. The did not feel the bolt design for the original install was sufficient, since the bolts at the top inside door-frame (one on each side) came lose and let the spring fall away inside the door frame. The springs provide the counter-tension that allows the toy hauler ramp door to come down easily and, in theory float in place. My ramp door does not really float all the way down (in other words I can't let it go and have it stay partially open with no support) but it can be put up and down with one arm now that the springs are hooked up and working.
    R. H. & Jessica, Virginia http://blog.borderlinechaos.com/wp-c...dStatesMap.gif
    2017 Momentum 350m 5th Wheeler, B&W Companion 18k hitch
    2017 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke, SRW, 4x4, Long Bed