User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 4 wheel Drive or NOT to 4 wheel drive, That is the question???

Looking to upgrade our TV from 3/4 ton to 1 ton dually. I won't go into all the reasons for that ( it's been beat to death on this forum - thankfully) but we can't decide if we need 4WD. We'll never be in the snow, and I THINK I'm smart enough to avoid severe mud issues, but I also know I don't know everything. Am I missing something here, seems like every dually I see is 4WD. 2WD is cheaper, better fuel mileage, better payload, less maintenance, less insurance cost and the biggest positive is that the truck is LESS MONEY.

Help, What am I missing?????
    Thanks Rick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Rick and Annie
    2017 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
    6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like having 4x4 just in case. We do get some snow where we are also. We have a remodeling business and probably use it more while pulling a heavy trailer up a gravel drive. Some hilly campgrounds with gravel may be easier with 4x4. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick,
    Even in the snow I've only used the 4 wheel drive a couple of times the last two winters. IMHO you would only need it in steep off road places like log roads or where it might rain heavily on a dirt road or something like that. I've only used it once camping for a steep uphill on wet grass and I'm not sure I really needed it then.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've needed 4WD only once or twice for traction. Where I do use it is when I'm trying to park the rig going up hill in reverse. The low range keeps the transmission at normal operating temps where in 2WD the trans temp will get over 200 degrees. I know, I know...I'm not the best backer LOL.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use our 4x4 frequently, but we have some unique needs. Back-road boondocking sites, boat ramps, steep gravel driveways while pulling the trailer, pulling stumps, etc. If you don't ever have a need, there is no sense paying for it.

Jim

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had to use it a couple of times with my previous 5th wheel. After a couple of days of rain we decided to pull out and getting up and out of that muddy mess was an experience. Another time, when we stopped at the rest rooms of a state park, just off the road. Sand.....a lot of it but having a dually I didn't think it would be any problem. Starting out very slow throttle, the tires just started hopping up and down.....4x4 high and it pulled right out.

These were two times that I was greatful that I had 4x4 because I was far from any help. Other than that, when we're unhooked and just exploring, it allows us to get back in some places that I'd not be willing to go in a two wheel drive in the mountains and in the desert.

Having researched the mileage on 2x4 and 4x4 on several different forums....mileage difference is not significant unless you have a heavy foot.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all you are going to do is stay on hard surfaces you will do fine without 4WD. We do a lot dry camping on grass and sand. Without 4WD we would have been stuck many times.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only input is if you need the 4x4 one time it was worth the cost.
    2014 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
    2017 Grand Design 360 RL

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few weeks ago, we were in one of the campground on Strom Thurmond Lake in GA. Nice sites, plenty of space to the neighbors, pull-thru, etc.

But the access road around the loop was about 10 feet higher than the site itself. No problem getting in, but a steep climb on a gravel driveway getting out.

After seeing several neighbors pulling out under heavy throttle and a shower of stones, I engaged 4WD and calmly drove up and out.

Home is in snow country anyway (Go Penguins!!!), but I wouldn't even think of buying a TV without 4WD. Sooner or later, you'll be in that one situation when you really, really, need it.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us, 4WD is like the insurance you buy to cover you for the unforeseen situations you hope will never happen. In three years of full time travel, there have been less than 10 times we really needed it. But glad we had it! I also will echo points others have made- not a big factor in fuel mileage, maintenance is a non-issue if you keep doing frequent oil services and inspections (which need to be done anyway), and it gives you the opportunity to get to scenic places 2WD might not get you to. I also think you get back 100% of the option price at trade in time, kind of like the diesel engine.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast