Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F350: How to have trailer running lights on all the time when towing?

Hi All:
    Maybe this is a simple thing but... I would like to have trailer running lights on whenever I tow without having to manually turn on the truck lights. I have my reverse camera on the 5th wheel wired to the running lights so that it is not always on. I went to leave the truck lights in "auto" instead of manually turning them on and off. Is there a way to do this? Having "daytime running lights" enabled in the user settings of the truck does not accomplish this.

THANKS
    Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

What you are looking for is a signal that indicates "trailer plugged into truck". This is going to be difficult to find because the trailer battery will back feed the 12V connection that you want from the truck that charges the trailer battery when the truck is running. Certainly could be done with relays, diodes and voltage sensing . . . but maybe more complex than turning on the lights when you tow ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim,

What you are looking for is a signal that indicates "trailer plugged into truck". This is going to be difficult to find because the trailer battery will back feed the 12V connection that you want from the truck that charges the trailer battery when the truck is running. Certainly could be done with relays, diodes and voltage sensing . . . but maybe more complex than turning on the lights when you tow ?

Rob
    Rob:
    I was kind of hoping since the Ford is smart enough to "know" the trailer is there that there would be a "programming way" for the truck to do it. Yea, I could design a "circuit" but that is more trouble then it is worth...
    THANKS
    Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

The truck might be smart enough . . . but you have to communicate this to the trailer through the standard 7 wire umbilical . . . which brings up a possibility.

Thinking about this a little further, if you connected the running light terminal in the truck socket to +12VDC feed (red) rather than the running light feed from the truck (brown), the trailer running lights would come on whenever the trailer is plugged into the truck. The trailer lights would stay on (back fed from the trailer battery) until the trailer was unplugged from the truck, even if the truck was shut off.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Jim,

The truck might be smart enough . . . but you have to communicate this to the trailer through the standard 7 wire umbilical . . . which brings up a possibility.

Thinking about this a little further, if you connected the running light terminal in the truck socket to +12VDC feed (red) rather than the running light feed from the truck (brown), the trailer running lights would come on whenever the trailer is plugged into the truck. The trailer lights would stay on (back fed from the trailer battery) until the trailer was unplugged from the truck, even if the truck was shut off.

Rob
    Thanks Rob, I could build an "adapter" plug to trick the system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Thanks Rob, I could build an "adapter" plug to trick the system.
    That's an even better idea .
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Hi All:
    Maybe this is a simple thing but... I would like to have trailer running lights on whenever I tow without having to manually turn on the truck lights. I have my reverse camera on the 5th wheel wired to the running lights so that it is not always on. I went to leave the truck lights in "auto" instead of manually turning them on and off. Is there a way to do this? Having "daytime running lights" enabled in the user settings of the truck does not accomplish this.

THANKS
    Jim

What I've done in my Chevy's was cover up the "sensor" on the dash. The "daytime running lights" don't bring on the "tail lights" and I want to be sure I can be seen from the front as well as the rear. I started with a ball cap over the sensor but that covered the defrost vents, now I've got a 1" nut with a knock out from a electrical box painted black, works great and my lights are always on. . . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	8928
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theclarks View Post
    What I've done in my Chevy's was cover up the "sensor" on the dash. The "daytime running lights" don't bring on the "tail lights" and I want to be sure I can be seen from the front as well as the rear. I started with a ball cap over the sensor but that covered the defrost vents, now I've got a 1" nut with a knock out from a electrical box painted black, works great and my lights are always on. . . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	8928
    Thanks. I will look into that, the only issue I see is that would make the dash very dark and potentially unreadable in the daytime....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jim - On the trailer's umbilical, put a switched jumper wire between pins 3 & 4. This will supply +12V to the tail lights and running lights any time you turn on the switch.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In my GMC I merely turn on the fog/driving lights and my trailer lights come on as well.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast